It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F.B.I. agents get leeway to push privacy bounds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
F.B.I. agents get leeway to push privacy bounds

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is giving significant new powers to its roughly 14,000 agents, allowing them more leeway to search databases, go through household trash or use surveillance teams to scrutinize the lives of people who have attracted their attention.

The F.B.I. recently briefed several privacy advocates about the coming changes. Among them, Michael German, a former F.B.I. agent who is now a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union, argued that it was unwise to further ease restrictions on agents’ power to use potentially intrusive techniques, especially if they lacked a firm reason to suspect someone of wrongdoing.

“Claiming additional authorities to investigate people only further raises the potential for abuse,” Mr. German said, pointing to complaints about the bureau’s surveillance of domestic political advocacy groups and mosques and to an inspector general’s findings in 2007 that the F.B.I. had frequently misused “national security letters,” which allow agents to obtain information like phone records without a court order.

So, the further erosion of our rights, freedom, and liberty are being perpetuated under the current administration. This administration didn't start it, but it has had several chances to stop. It's almost like a compulsion. Perhaps it's time for psychological help.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It seems the NSA, CIA and FBI are getting closer to being the Holy DHS Trinity nowadays, united under big brother we stand divided and fall divided.

I was afraid that this would happen.

join