It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual ocean floor anomaly situated at a depth of 5 kms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This is something new to me and certainly had me scratching my head in an attempt to come up with a reasonable explanation for it's existence.

I located this "anomaly" unintentionally whilst using Google Earth for another, unrelated research project and it simply just jumped out of the screen at me because of it's unusualness. Now, many of you will, as I did initially, simply write it of as nothing more than fissures, cracks, ravines, etc in the ocean floor that give the illusion of artificiality. However, the more I looked at it the less certain that such a simple explanation would suffice.

If I had to be pushed to an answer, I'd certainly entertain the possibility that it was an artificial creation of human origin. There certainly haven't been a shortage of underwater "discoveries" over the decades that seem to exhibit "artificiality" in their appearance ... the latest being the discovery of what could be a long wall submerged in the ocean of the coast of India.
However, if this is of human origin, then we have a major problem in explaining how it ended up on the ocean floor beneath 5 kms of water !

Ok, here's a GE overview of it's location:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58566fd607ff.jpg[/atsimg]

Now for a closer view:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eac67bff16e2.jpg[/atsimg]

Whatever the anomaly contained within the yellow highlight box, I'm 100% certain that it is NOT an unintentional Google Earth processing artifact. All indications are that it's real and actually down there on the ocean floor.

And an even closer look shows that it highly ordered and appears to contain many elements suggesting artificiality such as numerous straight lines and right angles.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0fcb8778a73.jpg[/atsimg]

The 1st thing that is immediately apparent is that the anomaly has 4 very well defined corners that together, form a perfect rectangle. I've indicated these 4 obvious corner locations as points A thru D. These 4 points are all connected by lines that are completely parallel and as a result, we can measure the two side lengths as being exactly 136 kms and the two side widths as being exactly 121 kms. We're talking accuracy here in the region of just a 100 metres or so ... an effect which is hard to explain as the result of just a purely random geological feature.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb752a1a667a.jpg[/atsimg]

Length A-B and length C-D = 136 kms
Length A-D and length B-C = 121 kms

The following image accentuates the corner locations and clearly shows the anomaly's perfect rectangular outline.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3366a91e8c74.jpg[/atsimg]

Having established the uniqueness of the anomaly's outline, we'll turn our attention to the interior of the rectangle that exhibits a multitude of repetitive smaller rectangular shapes. Note that these repetitive shapes exist only inside the larger main rectangle and nowhere outside of the main rectangle. Again, an explanation to account for this "containment" is difficult to come up with. If the anomaly is entirely natural, then what sort of a geological process could generate many smaller rectangular shapes in a confined area and then create a perfect rectangular border around them ?

Here's an image highlighting just a few of the many right angles associated with the interior shapes. Again, the question is how were so many 90 degree angles formed within the main rectangle ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ba2da3c9d65c.jpg[/atsimg]

Ok, in the following 4 images, in an attempt to bring out as much detail as possible, I've tried adjusting brightness, contrast, levels, saturation, etc.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50f68480bd7c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb690ae836c7.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/256a1cfc2524.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d31d1b691baf.jpg[/atsimg]

Well, thats it ...I'm still baffled by what this anomaly sitting on the ocean floor under more than 5kms of water could possibly be ... yet alone how it was created. It's quite obvious that it's located on a flat and relatively featureless part of the ocean floor and that it's isolated from surrounding terrain.

I'll leave you with the following quotes from two of Plato's dialogues, "Timaeus and Critias" which are the only existing written records which specifically refer to Atlantis ... and no, I'm in no way stating that this is, or that I believe it to be Atlantis or even evidence for such. Just additional "food for thought"

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which you call the Columns of Heracles (the Strait of Gibraltar, known as the Pillars of Hercules)

from "Critias" by Plato

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/650518d3be71.jpg[/atsimg]

I will now describe the plain, which had been cultivated during many ages by many generations of kings. It was rectangular, and for the most part straight and oblong ...

from "Timaeus" by Plato

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d3c8f668a7b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I posted in another thread last year about the one located off the Azores Islands. Mostly everyone just blew it off.

One poster said that the lines are caused by fishing trawlers (?) and another said they were caused by mapping sonar!!!

There are more of them located north of Finland and in the Northern Pacific ocean.
edit on 13-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
www.thesun.co.uk...

This was found awhile ago.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Does that have anything to do with Bimini Road?
Link...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
A lot of countries have layed cable all over th ocean for a wide variety of reason, could that be all this is? they just put it in a grid pattern?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Wow!

I think you have found something here....I am usually the first to jump on the skeptic wagon, but this seems legitimate.

S & F

It appears to be a building foundations but the scale seems to me to represent a road system

approx 400km due east there is more.

To add.... In the area indicated by the OP.....The tracks/depressions seem to go around geological formations as one would find in a road system ..... Look to the left - Middle/bottom (west-southwest) of the formation. Of the tracks/depressions exits the formation at a 45deg angle and bypasses a pair of large hills(small mountains) and continues on a westerly path.
edit on 13/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Interesting, could they be huge undersea aerial arrays ??? I'll be honest I'm thinking along haarp lines.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Thepreye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
If it was Atlantis you'd see no one admit it.

Then everyone with a boat would be scavenging artifacts and knowledge....well whatever is left to scavenge.

I'm sure it's already been gone over for salvageable items. To quote Optimus Prime...."I rise....you fall"....

land masses along fault lines rise and fall. So it's 100% plausible that area used to be above the water at some point in time.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

-1 star for you for when you make a good post now

Take your time, and investigate this issue, postulate a theory, and present it.. Don't just give people who have NO idea a reason think this..

PS - please dont use youtube amateurs or a blog to present it, it needs to be provable and actually within the capability of what HAARP can do.

edit on 13/6/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Im pretty sure this has been found already....

Never the less, theres no other way that could have been put there other then from intelligent species, human or otherwise...

That is clearly a city, right angles like that don't exist in nature...

Excellent find either way

S&F

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Im pretty sure this has been found already....

Excellent find either way

Too late, it's proven as obviously a city.

Case closed.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
S & F. Nice thread. It looks artificial in structure, who knows what it really is but the pictures you have posted reminded me of a bbc programme (it was on a few weeks ago). They were using infrared imaging to look at Egypt. What they found was basically an area like a map, plus the foundations of pyramids, hidden beneath the sand. They are quite similar to what you have posted (in my opinion). Anyway here is a link to it.

www.youtube.com...
and
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

this is a very interesting find but to say nothing exists like this in nature is a stretch imo. Nature does some strange things under the right conditions. But maybe more info will come forth showing its origins.

External pic shows example of nature making something similar in pattern known as tessellated pavement.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Do you think someting like that would have been missed be all the diligent ATS members.... it's been posted in many different threads...

Dont ask me to provide the links... use the search function and think laterally when it comes to search keywords...

To the images;

It's strange and needs further investigation.... oh wait perhaps search for deep sea explorations in that area
hint hint.....

There is data out there friend.

Sorry i am not trying to seem overally sarcastic but unless you have some new onformation to add to the GE images then... come on!

In my opinion, it may be an anomoly or caused by certain imaging/sonar trauling, then it could very well be the traces of a city. The water levels were much lower during the Glacial Periods

A glacial period (or alternatively glacial or glaciation) is an interval of time (thousands of years) within an ice age that is marked by colder temperatures and glacier advances. Interglacials, on the other hand, are periods of warmer climate within an ice age. The last glacial period ended about 15,000 years ago;[1] The Holocene epoch is the current interglacial

The same goes for many coast lines that are now underwater.

The area in question in your OP is the - MADEIRA ABYSSAL PLAIN

eprints.soton.ac.uk...

meetingorganizer.copernicus.org...

edit on 13-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think the scale here rules out a cable array... unless the cables are really effing huge!

I think that these are the remains of submerged cities and there a lot more of them down there. I believe that the govt knows about them, as there has been a lot of sonar mapping done by the US Navy to assist the submariners when they are trying to elude detection.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I tried to look in the ancient accounts of Atlantis to corroborate any of the details or measurements. For the record, your rectangle of 136km x 121km would represent a rectangle of about 700 x 600 stadia, using a conversion of 0.2km / stadia. Some suggest this wasn't always an accurate conversion...

atlantis-today.com...

I have described the city and the environs of the ancient palace nearly in the words of Solon, and now I must endeavour to represent the nature and arrangement of the rest of the land. The whole country was said by him to be very lofty and precipitous on the side of the sea, but the country immediately about and surrounding the city was a level plain, itself surrounded by mountains which descended towards the sea; it was smooth and even, and of an oblong shape, extending in one direction three thousand stadia, but across the centre inland it was two thousand stadia. This part of the island looked towards the south, and was sheltered from the north. The surrounding mountains were celebrated for their number and size and beauty, far beyond any which still exist, having in them also many wealthy villages of country folk, and rivers, and lakes, and meadows supplying food enough for every animal, wild or tame, and much wood of various sorts, abundant for each and every kind of work.

Quite interesting, though 2000 x 3000 stadia is 3-4x larger than your smaller rectangle (using the .2km conversion.) It is certainly surrounded by what would have been mountains though.

I will now describe the plain, as it was fashioned by nature and by the labours of many generations of kings through long ages. It was for the most part rectangular and oblong, and where falling out of the straight line followed the circular ditch. The depth, and width, and length of this ditch were incredible, and gave the impression that a work of such extent, in addition to so many others, could never have been artificial. Nevertheless I must say what I was told. It was excavated to the depth of a hundred, feet, and its breadth was a stadium everywhere; it was carried round the whole of the plain, and was ten thousand stadia in length. It received the streams which came down from the mountains, and winding round the plain and meeting at the city, was there let off into the sea. Further inland, likewise, straight canals of a hundred feet in width were cut from it through the plain, and again let off into the ditch leading to the sea: these canals were at intervals of a hundred stadia, and by them they brought down the wood from the mountains to the city, and conveyed the fruits of the earth in ships, cutting transverse passages from one canal into another, and to the city. Twice in the year they gathered the fruits of the earth-in winter having the benefit of the rains of heaven, and in summer the water which the land supplied by introducing streams from the canals.

So while the interpretation of the story can't be 100% accurate, and while some measurements seem off, I would say that the breadth of these impressions certainly look like a stadium, we do have a rectangular set of them along with transverse passages, and they do extend partially into the mountains, where presumably some forests would have lied between the plain and the mountain. As for the ten thousand stadia length ditch, if it were taken to be the circumference of a circle, then this circle would have a radius of about 1600 km. Not sure where that would fit into the map... it seems like either most of the described structure has been lost, except for the one or two rectangles which have really stood up, or that there has been some exaggeration or failure of conversion (the latter seems much more likely.) If we accept an exaggeration and/or failure of conversion, a lot of the details seem to me to be very applicable to this.

Quite exciting!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Can i ask you a question?

Why is it that someone that has been a member of ATS for so long and has a good rating not have seen this post or area of the ocean before on ATS....????

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Why is it that someone that has been a member of ATS for so long and has a good rating not have seen this post or area of the ocean before on ATS....????

Can you not think of any reasons?

If you truly cannot, perhaps you should consider the number of threads and posts generated here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
S & F !! I love these finds! I have seen some off the west coast of South America amongs other places...You would think peolpe would be down there investigating this stuff...I know I sure would if I had the means and the opportunity. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Looks like a long lost ancient city. Perhaps a kings palace as well. Could be treasure in there!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join