It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: FaceBook Using Face Recognition On YOUR Photos.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This is sooo scary. We are voluntarily giving our info to these people. Please watch this video and let people know what is going on. At least one group is speaking out against them, but is that really enough?? I wish had more to add, but the video tells it all.

Facebook Using Face Recognition Software On Every Photo You Upload!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Here is a bit more info, and a possible way to disable this, though it might be too late for many.

The days when you could be "anonymous" on the Internet are long gone. Social media networks like Facebook are a lot of fun, but you should expect to have absolutely zero privacy while using them. If you still believe that anything you say or do on Facebook is private than you are being delusional. Now, Facebook has even enabled facial recognition technology across its entire site. Facebook can now instantly identify your face out of its half a billion users worldwide. Facebook is using this technology for its new "Tag Suggestions" feature. The idea is that facial recognition technology will speed up the process of tagging friends and family in photos that have been posted on Facebook.

That sounds harmless enough, but the problem is that facial recognition technology has been automatically enabled for millions upon millions of Facebook users but they were never even told that the new technology would be automatically enabled on their accounts.

Oops!

The following excerpt is from the blog post where Facebook officially announced this change.....

Because photos are such an important part of Facebook, we want to be sure you know exactly how tag suggestions work: When you or a friend upload new photos, we use face recognition software—similar to that found in many photo editing tools—to match your new photos to other photos you're tagged in. We group similar photos together and, whenever possible, suggest the name of the friend in the photos.

So exactly how does this new technology function?

A recent Computerworld article explained exactly how this is going to work....

Facebook noted that starting in just a few weeks, its system will scan all photos posted to Facebook and will offer up the names of the people who appear in the frame. All of Facebook's users are automatically being added to the database.

The facial recognition feature is automatically turned on. Users who don't want the service must go in and manually opt out of it

So if anyone has ever posted a picture of you to Facebook, the company can now instantly identify you through the use of facial recognition technology.

That sounds a little creepy, doesn't it?

Sadly, Facebook doesn't seem to have much regard for our privacy these days. Senior technology consultant Graham Cluley had the following to say about this recent change....

"Yet again, it feels like Facebook is eroding the online privacy of its users by stealth"

So what if you don't want facial recognition technology enabled for your Facebook account?

Well, you have to manually go in and disable it.

The following video explains exactly how to opt out of the new "facial recognition" technology on Facebook....

The video for disabling is at the link, as I do not know how to post it.
endoftheamericandream.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
This is sooo scary. We are voluntarily giving our info to these people. Please watch this video and let people know what is going on. At least one group is speaking out against them, but is that really enough?? I wish had more to add, but the video tells it all.

Facebook Using Face Recognition Software On Every Photo You Upload!

Peace, NRE.

''We are voluntarily giving our info to these people''. You've already pointed out the key words here. I won't bother offering my opinion on matters closely associated with the subject matter, but I will offer that Facebook's T&C's are there to be read and as a prospective member, it is up to the individual to take onboard and agree to such conditions. If the individual does not agree with said T&C's they have an option not to join, or, to ''deactivate'' their account including their photographs, and other information.

You consider it scary, I consider it ''horses for courses''. I have a fair idea of what certain ATS'ers think of Facebook and ''conspiracies'' surrounding it, but I don't subscribe to any of them because I feel a good lot of members on this site are hideouslty miss-informed and use the terms ''sheeple'' or ''TPTB'' far to often to even contemplate what they are actually saying. In fact, it would probably be a cause of why I contribute less and less these days...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
At this link endoftheamericandream.com... it will give you easy instructions on how to remove your info (with video) from the database, it literally took me 5 minutes to do, and I was really unaware that there was an option for removal.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Well all those dumbed down facebook users are just willingly disclosing their whole lives through this medium and surely they will be manipulated either for advertising or even more sinister motives in the future.

I don't have a single picture of myself on the internet because I saw this coming a long time ago. I don't use facebook or any other social networking because I am only too aware of how information can be used for sinister motives.

Anyway there is no privacy on the internet. If Secret Services want to pull you out then they can easily have access to every site you visited, every email you wrote and recieved, etc!!!

The internet is the end of any notion of a private life, but then to a lesser degree so were telecommunications and hand-written mail before.

Just an escalation of invasion pf privacy as technology grows!

link   
The new social networking sites are all about restricting user freedom.

Facebook's navigation is confusing, annoying and down right irritating. This makes it hard enough in the first place to find out how to switch to having more privacy. There's also outright stupid things like not being able to put music on your own page.

Twitter just seems designed to have us all thinking in Newspeak. Since you can only type in 140 characters, ppl hav 2 type lyk this.

link   
Facebook is just taking it's time to get modern.

My mirror has been able to recognise my face for years.

I don't get why this is such an issue - as stated by the poster above, it's not something you are forced to do.

I mean, FACEBOOK - a site that is based entirely on people who know each other sharing photos, chats, information, updates etc - OMG they are using features that help with the photograph tags?

*throws hands in air* next they will be asking me to have some sort of license with my photo on it, should I simply desire to travel on a public road in a motor vehicle.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

heres a great hint, if you dont like it, DONT USE IT, problem solved

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This shows several things, imnho. Both the executives and the people who put this in motion have some sort of societal illness (I'll be kind and leave out their personal mental problems) which can be broken down to the old Vietnam action of "Destroy a village to save it". Facebook has been such a nice social network for millions of people, and now with this information it will cause many to defriend it - for they can no longer trust their friend not to spy on them. If the people who put this in place are still there they should apologize and resign, the software should be removed, and a public apology in the form of full page newspaper ads and the like could be helpful. Institutions have to start to be trusting again. Crimes come and go, trust binds societies, groups, and families. I must now go and twitter that I posted this note, so the proper monitoring authorities not here can be duly alerted.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Whatever your feelings about Facebook is fine, I posted this, because I didn't know that it had something to do with tagging, so even if you do not have an account, but an old schoolmate has a pic with you in it, and others from your class tag it, your in the system, and dont even know how you got there.

With a social network this big, there is no way to get away from it, unless you do it yourself, and I posted the video to make that happen.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Watching the vid I realized that NIGHTLINE was still on TV. More stylized and "hip" than before, but still "Nightline". I'm apparantly spending too much time on Facebook to know what the in-crowd is watching. Probably not Nightline though. And the end of the video, where the reporter puts on a hat, large sunglasses, and a prop mustache and still gets ID'ed, shows a sophistication of facial recognition tech that I also didn't know existed. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yeah, I long since removed any personally identifiable information from Facebook, but I do wish I'd never given it my real name in the first place. Hopefully more education will help people realise the dangers, but, with so many people having signed up, I do wonder if it is educating young people in particular, about how it's apparently 'okay' to live in a world where The Computer knows every little thing about you and your life.

It must, I think, be creating a quite interesting mindset amongst those younger users, with regards the entire notion of privacy.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As it seems that many are not aware on how this effects everyone. All it takes is someone who is unaware of this data to add one pic, and another to tag it, and your in. As long as those of us that are aware not to give out this info, or has their own private account, they can make sure not to be dependent on others to keep them private.

It takes a few steps, and thats it, you can cover all aspects for the future of your privacy.
Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

As it seems that many are not aware on how this effects everyone. All it takes is someone who is unaware of this data to add one pic, and another to tag it, and your in. As long as those of us that are aware not to give out this info, or has their own private account, they can make sure not to be dependent on others to keep them private.

It takes a few steps, and thats it, you can cover all aspects for the future of your privacy.
Peace, NRE.

Would you put a picture of yourself on a public shopping mall public notice board, in a suburb that you live in?

Why not? Too many strangers who may notice you? Who may actually know you? Who may not like you?

Why do it on the internet then, on a public forum that is nothing more than a virtual shopping mall notice board?

I don't see what people are complaining about...

On FB you give your name, along with your image. Is this so unreasonable that they do this?

Man, I swear if FB came up today, people would say that giving your basic details is a conspiracy by the nasty PTB because why else would they want you're participation. ZOMG!

Instead, you're all taking the helping hand and thrusting back the other one thats trying to make what they think is their technology going to beat the opposition.

I actually find this humorous. "I gave them my images, my name, by location, my school, my work, my sexual preference, a LIST of all my friends, my likes, my dislikes, my persuasions, I give them my every little thought about the little nothings I think about, I give them immediate access to my entire personal life that I have shared. But NOW they want to automatically tag images with me in it using facial recognition. HOW DARE THEY!!!!!11"

You OPTED in by default. It's not a conspiracy. It's not an attack. Just like "you might knows these people" appears when you are on FB, by association between 'friends' now they can do that by images.

Good grief, Just stop using facebook if it's that scary...

Unreal..

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

not a surprise at all...

anyone that has ever used the tagging system on FB, should know that it is facial recognition that allows tagging to work.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Would you put a picture of yourself on a public shopping mall public notice board, in a suburb that you live in?

Why not? Too many strangers who may notice you? Who may actually know you? Who may not like you?

Why do it on the internet then, on a public forum that is nothing more than a virtual shopping mall notice board?

I don't see what people are complaining about...

First of all why all the anger? If you didn't like my thread or the info in it, why come back? Twice? I dont have to explain any further the reason for the thread as it is all here already, and anyone that cares to know will, and those who dont.. wont.

Everything that you have written is known, who I posted for are those that are unaware of the new tech they have and may want to opt out of it. If you dont like it, then dont read it.

NRE.
edit on Mon Jun 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

First of all why all the anger? If you didn't like my thread or the info in it, why come back? Twice? I dont have to explain any further the reason for the thread as it is all here already, and anyone that cares to know will, and those who dont.. wont.

Everything that you have written is known, who I posted for are those that are unaware of the new tech they have and may want to opt out of it. If you dont like it, then dont read it.
NRE.

Oh Ma'am!! Let people know in future, title your threads with ---"For nubs" then I'll know it's a thread for nubs.

Ok?

I am not angry. Frustrated is a word I'd use.

This topic was old 3 days ago, I didn't reply and say so, because I don't know you and gave you consideration. What a shame that was. I wont make that mistake twice.

Facebook .... news... two things that should never be use in the same sentence. Whatever.

Old facebook news... lets all facepalm in damn silence, and lest ye who has not posted a useless redundant post, be the first.

meh.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This topic has been covered numerous times on ATS, please contribute any additional comments to the existing threads....

Here

Here

Here

top topics

join