It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Signs That A Horrific Global Food Crisis Is Coming

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

In case you haven't noticed, the world is on the verge of a horrific global food crisis. At some point, this crisis will affect you and your family. It may not be today, and it may not be tomorrow, but it is going to happen.

Crazy weather and horrifying natural disasters have played havoc with agricultural production in many areas of the globe over the past couple of years.
Meanwhile, the price of oil has begun to skyrocket. The entire global economy is predicated on the ability to use massive amounts of inexpensive oil to cheaply produce food and other goods and transport them over vast distances. Without cheap oil the whole game changes.
Topsoil is being depleted at a staggering rate and key aquifers all over the world are being drained at an alarming pace. Global food prices are already at an all-time high and they continue to move up aggressively. So what is going to happen to our world when hundreds of millions more people cannot afford to feed themselves?

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

I really do feel that a global food crisis is fast approaching. Life in th cities would become dire, what will people do without their local supermarkets and convenience stores? Modern society is incredibly distanced from agriculture, most people don't give much thought as to how their vegetables are grown or where. If the shelves were suddenly empty in the cities and people couldnt afford to buy the little food on offer there would absolute anarchy.

Now I found this list a little frightening, some very scary facts that seem to be fast approaching. This coming crisis to me seems to be an absolute reality. It's disastrous what has happened in India, I was there recently and people are really suffering, a lot of people are very hungry, if food costs increase much more there will be many people dying in the streets. Something needs to be done....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
First bit of the list from the link:

The following are 20 signs that a horrific global food crisis is coming....

#1 According to the World Bank, 44 million people around the globe have been pushed into extreme poverty since last June because of rising food prices.

#2 The world is losing topsoil at an astounding rate. In fact, according to Lester Brown, "one third of the world's cropland is losing topsoil faster than new soil is forming through natural processes".

#3 Due to U.S. ethanol subsidies, almost a third of all corn grown in the United States is now used for fuel. This is putting a lot of stress on the price of corn.

#4 Due to a lack of water, some countries in the Middle East find themselves forced to almost totally rely on other nations for basic food staples. For example, it is being projected that there will be no more wheat production in Saudi Arabia by the year 2012.
theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

It gets worse.....

edit on 13-6-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So this is all according to the World Bank and the United Nations... Here they come with that good ol' fear tactic again... It's the end of the world and we're all going to die so let's change some laws and take away your freedom to help save America =)

If people gave a damn about each other no one would be starving to death period! Quit complaining if you don't want to take steps to solve the problems we all face because of greed.
edit on 13-6-2011 by beenupsince2007 because: Added another comment

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

They can grow food without soil now. There just is no funding to do this on a massive scale. And if we did fund such a thing, the agriculture industry would go bust. We can grow food indoors all year round without depleting top soil. Better yet we can grow all the food locally. If there is a food crisis coming, it is man-made, but we are not without options. Time to start farming fish on a massive scale.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by beenupsince2007

I generally agree with you here, but maybe there's a little more to it than just fear mongering, I mean sometimes you do have to look at some of the science and what it's telling us.

It is greed that is causing and has caused this, absolutely, but this notion of greed stems much further than just mindless consumers, the system is set up to work like this, not necessarily meant to implode causing a global food crisis, but it functions on greed, lives off it, without it, the system wouldn't work in the way that it does. People need to make a personal effort to change unsustainable lifestyles but what is more important is helping people understand the reality of this situation and acting in ways to change this paradigm that we've created.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

That's really interesting, the future has got to be with mass/local hydroponic farms, obviously there should be some safeguards for the existing farmers through a transition into mass hydroponics and some financial assistance, but our future has got to be in this type of operation. I guess it would have to be done slowly, maybe somewhere like Sweden will do it first.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
According to 'i on Saturday' a weekly briefing newspaper from The Independent, dated Saturday 11 June 2011....UK farmers are warning that crop yeilds may fall by 50% the year because of the May drought. Farmers in Cambridgeshire alone estimate loses of £400million because of the driest May since 1858. Food prices are estimated to go up, drastically affecting inflation. Wheat and potatoes in particular have been hit.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
maybe this is why the government bought so much mountain house freeze dried food... what do they know that we dont
edit on 13-6-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Well one thing on the list that is being falsely used. Corn that is grown for ethanol is not used for human consumption even when not used to make ethanol. It is feed corn for cattle. And it can still be used for cattle feed after it has been through the distilling process and it is actually better for the cattle then before it had been through the process. So Ethanol is not contributing to the food crisis. This makes the whole thing suspect to me. As was said if there is a crisis it is contrived.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I posted about this quite some time ago.

Get ready for food shortages-posted on 20-2-2009

We've known for some time that government interventionism, money printing as well as natural shocks to the food producing parts of the world would eventually take it's toll.

The chips are certainly down.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I actualy work in the food industry, I make food ingredents and i can tell you that things like flour, oats, rice, have shot up, its got so bad that a guy was fired because he was spilling to many ingredents on the floor qhen he was putting them into the blender,this was never a problem before, but the company said that he was loseing 6 to 7 kilos out of every 400 kilos he blended, they said that this could no longer be tolerated,thats how bad its got in our job because of the riseing food prices

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
What will people do probably do, that's easy. Get of there fat arses and actually grow some food. We don't have a problem with food shortage we have a problem with distribution of said food.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I believe that a food crisis was contrived in France just before the French Revolution.

It helped to remove the 'middle classes', rob the country and the super Elites, (I'm sure most of you know who these people were) left the country just before the Terror began.

Is it possible to do this on a world wide scale? Perhaps, we shall see, but psychopaths do not change their Modus Operandi and neither do they have a conscience. They are supreme in rationalising their actions, no matter how evil. If only there was a deadly virus that only took out the psychos.............what a peaceful planet this would be. One can only dream!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

It's true, people do need their own vegetable gardens, but then theres the obvious problem for people who live in the cities and don't have any back gardens or yards. Especially in the inner city, although community grow ops could solve this problem.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

Very good point sir. Good to see you bought up the French revolution, so relevant. Because the world is so globalized and countries rely on foreign exports is such a big way, and also considering that many global corporations are the ones exporting the goods and these corporations as we all know are connected with 'the elite' I would imagine that creating the crisis is certainly within their reach these days and it's also even possible that this is the case, although there also are many other factors involved in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
so many countries seem to be having a bad crop this year, with all the other factors as well...

I honestly would'nt be suprised if this was contrived but then again it could just as easily be not.

Although if tptb think they can use this to their adavntage they are wrong, when america, uk, canada etc cannot put food on the table never mind the rest of the world that will be world war 3.

This world war 3 won't be governemnt against governemnt but people vs the government and each other, diffrent idiological factions seeking to over throw the government and place they beliefs in power.

maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am but I fear I'm not...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
What will people do probably do, that's easy. Get of there fat arses and actually grow some food. We don't have a problem with food shortage we have a problem with distribution of said food.

Yep. Food is distributed to whoever pays the highest price. I know. I live in a very agriculturally rich area and most of our stuff goes to Japan and China.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

It doesn't have to be contrived. If you combine bad monetary policy world wide, with environmental degradation and natural disasters you end up with this kind of mess. When ONE thing goes bad in a bad monetary policy environment(inflation) all you need is a few shocks and viola! world wide crisis at our feet.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Sorry, but I have woken up to the fact that TPTB have planned mass famine to kill us off. Period. Engineer the weather to cause droughts and floods etc. Look at the United Nations and who set it up. Look at their policies people and their counterparts. Many of the leaders of the organisations advocate that populations NEED to be reduced by 90%. have YOU gotten your golden ticket to be a survivor?
If not, then
Read the following article and if it doesn't wake you up quickly to the fact of what is NOW going on, then all hope for humanity is gone. www.prisonplanet.com...

I post this as I believe that it is relevant to the OP's thread of crop failures and how it will impact millions and millions.
Yes, Prisonplanet scares people but read the Entire article, then maybe you will start connecting the dots of these unusual weather patterns, biblical floods taking out America's farmlands, locusts devouring crops in Russian, the most UNUSUAL strain of E. Coli to hit Germany which caused Spains nearly entie Spring crops to be destroyed., chemtrails and weather modifications etcPlease, please, please read.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Yes its all very droll & gloomy, but our civilisation has ridden on a wave of self importance & delusion to get to this point. World population may indeed stabilise at "9 billion by 2050", but we're stuffing the planet big time at the current level, & we have only made it because of oil, & the longevity of that fuel source is seriously on a downer. In a nutshell, we have painted ourselves into a corner so to speak & created many fragilities inherant with our modern society, & thats primarily because of a catastrophic disconnect with the concept of sustainability & respect for all living things. It matters not what the manner of our undoing will be, whether its a food crisis, engineered disease or a Carrington style solar event, we just have not stayed true to the unwritten rules that are at the foundation of al sustainable life & we will now enter a period of correction. The path we were on, it was always going to end in tears.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join