It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria Gay Girl in Damascus blog a hoax by US man

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk

A blog purportedly written by a gay woman in Syria, which described life in Damascas amid the current political unrest, has been revealed to be a hoax.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
A Girl Gay in Damascus gained a worldwide readership and was closely followed by news organisations.

But the true author has now come forward - Tom MacMaster, an American man studying in Scotland.

Many Syrian activists have reacted angrily, accusing him of trivialising or even harming their cause.

"One day if I'm kidnapped by my government, many readers won't care because I could turn out to be another Amina," wrote one Lebanese blogger.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
LOL, people are trying to set up syria to make it look bad, just for another invasion. Does not surprise me. Another one of those stories which I laugh at.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

A Girl Gay in Damascus gained a worldwide readership and was closely followed by news organisations.

But the true author has now come forward - Tom MacMaster, an American man studying in Scotland.

Many Syrian activists have reacted angrily, accusing him of trivialising or even harming their cause.

"One day if I'm kidnapped by my government, many readers won't care because I could turn out to be another Amina," wrote one Lebanese blogger.

www.bbc.co.uk

Not just the Lebanese, but the Lesbian Lebanese are hurt by this hoax! (sorry...I just wanted to say "Lesbian Lebanese".....it has a nice ring to it!) Seriously though...as the article states, both Syrians and Gay activists are quite angry at Mr. MacMaster for trivializing and damaging the credibility any real stories that may come after this by his 'crying wolf' hoax. And they are mad for good reason too.....It would seem Mr. MacMaster was doing this in a misguided attempt to bring attention to the struggles in this area, but he did so by engaging in a dishonest, and incredibly stupid stunt......He's done nothing but hurt his cause....I hope he realizes how much of a moron he is, right now.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Yeah right. I bet he was doing it to make money off of gullible idiots that believe anything, with google ads or something.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I don't know what he did/wrote that hurt their cause, but pen names are quite common. Do they think he 'trivialized' their cause? How?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
dbl post
edit on 13-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
I don't know what he did/wrote that hurt their cause, but pen names are quite common. Do they think he 'trivialized' their cause? How?

Does lying ever actually help? No, rather it creates doubt in those things that are true, but happen in the same frame as the lie. if this man who was turtured is lying, can we trust the story of this other man who was tortured? Will the torturers simply use the hoax to denounce all claims of their actions?

Lying for a cause injured hte cause by injecting it with doubt, uncertainties, and skepticism. it damages the efforts being made. It puts a muffler on honest accounts and truthful efforts.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Pffft! Overreaction I say.

The world runs on lies.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Of course, of course...

Hey if you guys are interested, there are some members on this site that post blog articles as fact too. About countries like Iran, about Palestine, about Syria etc. etc.

A lot of readers here soak those blog articles, posted by star and flag ridden members, up like high fructose corn syrup. Heck, one of them even has an own show on ATS teevee.

This site is turning out to be quite the joke.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Yes and the world is in a nice condition isn't it?

Thinking before speaking or in this case typing helps.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

www.bbc.co.uk

A blog purportedly written by a gay woman in Syria, which described life in Damascas amid the current political unrest, has been revealed to be a hoax.

piratepad.net...

Say Hello to reality,
edit on 13-6-2011 by Mabus2011 because: wrong link

new topics

top topics

join