It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ Hit by series of Earthquakes up 6.0 mag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Christchurch has been rocked Earthquakes. Being reported as breaking news in OZ

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seagle

man post USGS links please cause if you post it at least make it easy to go view the info...... off to usgs...

seriously i mean atleast some sort of info a new topic deserve at the very least the best quality you can doo... you post basically a quick reply that should go into a earth quake watch thread
edit on 12-6-2011 by GodofWar411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411

man post USGS links please cause if you post it at least make it easy to go view the info...... off to usgs...

seriously i mean atleast some sort of info a new topic deserve at the very least the best quality you can doo... you post basically a quick reply that should go into a earth quake watch thread

Well Sooooooooooorrrrrrrryyyy. How much info do you expect there to be at the moment, They don't even have any footage or pics on the news yet

read the post, it says 'breaking news' because it just happened. There is significant damage.

edit on 12-6-2011 by Seagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It was a 5.5. afew people injured and more damage to buildings in CHCH:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Also reported as breaking news here on ATS.
In multiple threads, for anyone who searched before posting, that is.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
It was a 5.5. afew people injured and more damage to buildings in CHCH:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

The latest was 6.0. There was a 5.5 earlier.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Well Sooooooooooorrrrrrrryyyy. How much info do you expect there to be at the moment, They don't even have any footage or pics on the news yet

read the post, it says 'breaking news' because it just happened. There is significant damage.

breaking news has info don't just try to be the first to post something...... quality over quantity

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
There is a few alignments, check the planets orbits themselves! Earth Sun and Mercury*.

I am starting to think this cant be a cowinkydink..

Electric Universe Anyone?
edit on 12-6-2011 by youwouldknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

breaking news has info don't just try to be the first to post something...... quality over quantity

Especially since he WASNT the first post something (as I said before there are several threads running)
and
his posting was 3 hours 18 minutes after the magnitude 5.1 quake, and 1 hour 59 minutes after the 6.0 quake... so he cant even use the "breaking news" excuse. The was a mass of info in the "social media" sites that was available to be mentioned at the time, but wasnt.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Bugger your USGS. We're a parochial bunch here and prefer our Geonet. Or chchquake.crowe,at least for first appearances. [goddamn yankees] *sotto voce*

I'm sorry you were so put out. I've had wine, I'm 'friendly',
Don't push it.

I still use a chemical toilet.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

quality over quantity

I'm surprised you're not silent if that is the case.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
*sotto voce*

Ah yes, the Spanish nobleman from the 1800's who rode about doing good deeds...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Found some news on sky its now their top headline

Breaking News

6:48am UK, Monday June 13, 2011
Quake-Hit New Zealand City Hit By New Shocks

Comments

Ian Woods, Sky News correspondent
The New Zealand city of Christchurch has been rocked by another series of strong tremors, four months after 181 people were killed in a catastrophic earthquake which damaged thousands of buildings.

Damage and injuries were minor compared to the February 22 disaster, but it brought power cuts and spread fear among a frightened and weary population.

St John’s Ambulance reported that six people were taken to hospital; two people were rescued from a collapsed building, and 54,000 homes lost power.
news.sky.com... s=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_16010633_Earthquake_Hits_Christchurch_Months_After_Major_Quake_Damage_Killed_181_People
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 02:20:50 UTC
Monday, June 13, 2011 at 02:20:50 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.580°S, 172.740°E
Depth 9 km (5.6 miles)
Region SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Distances 13 km (8 miles) NNE of Christchurch, New Zealand
207 km (128 miles) SSE of Westport, New Zealand
292 km (181 miles) SW of WELLINGTON, New Zealand
323 km (200 miles) NNE of Dunedin, New Zealand
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.9 km (8.6 miles); depth +/- 2.8 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters NST= 74, Nph= 74, Dmin=17.8 km, Rmss=1.4 sec, Gp= 86°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source

Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Event ID usc000466f

edit on 13-6-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

And there's more coming for CHCH; sorry to be the bugger of bad news but I recall warning someone on ATS from CHCH a week or so ago.......so I'm telling you again.

There's no immediate prospects for CHCH and in regards to John Key's "rebuild"; forget it, it aint happening anytime soon.

Any resident of CHCH living on low laying areas.....my advice to you......move elsewhere!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
...based on what information?

We're resilient bastards down here, and frankly,where do we move toW

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Mate....resilence has nothing to do with it.....you do whats best in the interests of the children and I know for a fact the kids are suffering there in CHCH....not only in school but also at home. Domestic violence in CHCH homes has more than doubled since February. Kids at school are on edge and there has been response of teachers in articles in regards to the children's school work suffering because of trauma caused by the EQKs and DV.

For pete's sake you don't need scentific reports to tell you of impending aftershocks and more earthquakes. It's bloody obvious there's more coming and the sooner the CHCH residents open their eyes to reality, the better.

Swarm of tremors likely, scientists warn:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

I can't tell you when these EQKs and aftershocks are going to subside but I can tell you it won't be in the short term but much further down the track but unfortunately not any time soon.

So lets be realistic......again I will say this, anyone living on low laying areas of CHCH should move NOW. Christchurch is fast becoming almost unliveable. Perhaps another 5 years it may become more bearable? So why suffer in silence until that time comes? John Key's Govt is not going to help you, you have to help yourself because it goes like this......there's no more money in the kitty! Businesses have and continue to go broke.

The clean up from February has barely even begun and there's no immediate plans for a rebuild anytime soon.

Where do you move to? Is CHCH the only city in NZ? Plenty of Kiwis jumping over the ditch and finding employment.....

edit on 13-6-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'm not going anywhere, big fella.
I reiterate, we ARE resilient. It may not mean much to you, but it means a lot to me.

Of course we will get more shakes, that's a given. I'm not going 'over the ditch' or to another city.There was a reason I live in Christchurch and it still stands. The last thing we need is people jumping ship and killing the city.
Other city is New Zealand are prone to natural hazards and it's not a matter of if, but when.

Christchurch is still liveable too.I'm not sure where you are getting your dodgy uninformed information from?
edit on 13-6-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

My "dodgey" information comes right out of CHCH from friends and relatives, some of whom have already moved to Wgton and Auckland while others just hanging in there whose hubbies are over in Aussie now looking for work before bringing their families over.

If kids are subjected to more trauma at the hands of their parents because they too are under increasing stress caused by unemployment because of the EQKs then I have to ask......is it all worth it? People do tend to shy away from these facts....but nevertheless, they DO exist on a larger scale than mainstream likes to report. It's a taboo subject no one likes to talk about.

The city is at a big loss already. Yes some parts of CHCH is still liveable but other parts definately not and it's only going to get worse for many families. It's not about ditching the once vibrant city; it's about whats in the best interests of young families long term.

Perhaps you have no young children and live in a better part of CHCH but know this.....every Kiwi know whats going on down there and it's not good.....however by saying that; CHCH does'nt compare nor even come close to recent natural disasters in Japan and the USA.

Yes, I'm well aware other parts of NZ are also prone....I'm a Kiwi so I'm not oblivious to EQKs and other natural disasters in NZ.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

reply to post by aorAki

My "dodgey" information comes right out of CHCH from friends and relatives, some of whom have already moved to Wgton and Auckland while others just hanging in there whose hubbies are over in Aussie now looking for work before bringing their families over.

Oh right, they move away from an earthquake zone to another earthquake zone or a volcanic hazard zone. Seems sensible. Others are suffering a knee-jerk response out of fear and misinformation and the mass mob mentality that is patently obvious. Yes, domestic violence has increased (but wait until the Rugby World Cup when you will see it soar!), but there are also a hell of a lot of people who are forging community and networks and don't stoop to domestic violence.

Originally posted by bluemirage5If kids are subjected to more trauma at the hands of their parents because they too are under increasing stress caused by unemployment because of the EQKs then I have to ask......is it all worth it? People do tend to shy away from these facts....but nevertheless, they DO exist on a larger scale than mainstream likes to report. It's a taboo subject no one likes to talk about.

Don't blame the earthquake,blame the parents for losing control.

Originally posted by bluemirage5The city is at a big loss already. Yes some parts of CHCH is still liveable but other parts definately not and it's only going to get worse for many families. It's not about ditching the once vibrant city; it's about whats in the best interests of young families long term.

Honesty, sincerity and community. Not people regaling them to 'bail the hell out of there'.

Perhaps you have no young children and live in a better part of CHCH but know this.....every Kiwi know whats going on down there and it's not good.....however by saying that; CHCH does'nt compare nor even come close to recent natural disasters in Japan and the USA.

The last sentence shows that you do not know what is going on down here. You may think you do, all informed by fearful families and such, but unless your boots are on the ground you really have no idea.
I am in an area affected by liquefaction and have to use a chemical toilet.

Originally posted by bluemirage5Yes, I'm well aware other parts of NZ are also prone....I'm a Kiwi so I'm not oblivious to EQKs and other natural disasters in NZ.

So where would you suggest people move to, and what sort of work will they do? Can the infrastructure support a mass influx?

Telling people to move away will do more damage to the city than the earthquakes.
edit on 13-6-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join