It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Mystery: Ancient Dodecahedron's Purpose Remains Secret:(Can you tell what it is?)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Man, some excelltent responses/guesses/theories.

I am glad I put this up. Hopefully the aritcle writers and/or researchers see a reply that fits what they have established already. The missing piece of the puzzle, so to speak.

Thanks everyone. I will let you know if they update the story/discovery.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Gambling device or game piece of some sort. I am trying to imagine what the knobs and holes are for....
I can see strong or cloth with leather to hold onto the knobs....you would throw it or toss it and it fell. Each side being a color or family name, etc........I say gambling piece.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It's used for making the cover for a ball. Set it on a piece of leather and roll it from facet to facet just right leaving dimples. Connect the dots just right and cut and you have a repeatable pattern for an official size ball with allowance for the seams. Fold the cut leather onto the dodeca and sew most of the seams. Turn inside out and stuff and finish.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I don't know, looks sorta like some really crude ancient sexual torture device.........those romans were nasty I tell ya!
edit on 14-6-2011 by Leonardo01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I have no idea what this thing is ??....But when all else fails it's a "Weather Balloon" !!!.
edit on 14-6-2011 by fishwhisperer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Having a masters in Roman archaeology these things have fascinated me also. Please keep the ideas coming, I might use them for a PhD proposal.

The current idea is that it was a skill test for Romanized Celts and Germanic people.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 3dman7

Wow where did you get that idea? I can't think of any ball games the Romans head just out of the top of my head.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
In this and other images that show well preserved dodecahedrons notice the holes are of different sizes in diameter.

This to me implies one of two basic things. One being a calendar device, possibly with the larger holes relating to the longer summer days. Or a simple gaming device that when landing on a larger hole in some manner of play would reward the roller with a larger coin. In early days when the general public was largely illiterate, coins varied greatly in size according to their value so common paupers knew what things cost. Roman coins were also used to document events as communication devices to their very spread out civilization.

Just trowing that out there.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I'm not sure the 12-month calendar was established in those days but it would make sense to divide the 4 seasons evenly, as well as segmenting the 4 solar solstices. Note the dodecahedron has 12 sides.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueenofWeird
reply to post by 3dman7

Wow where did you get that idea? I can't think of any ball games the Romans head just out of the top of my head.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

There's a lot more unknowns than knowns about the period. It's plausable that they had a game like polo or golf that required an official size/weight ball. The leather could be hammered wile on the form leaving the impressions of the hole features for decoration/identification.

The piece isn't elaborate enough to be anything more than a tool imo.
edit on 14-6-2011 by 3dman7 because: Added link

edit on 14-6-2011 by 3dman7 because: Moved link

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
can you tell us how big they are ?

the size of the objects may help in determining what they were used for ?
exact measurements wpould prove useful

teh object isnt carved with any further ornamentation , therefore it wasnt used for something of religious or ornamental value .

I think it is a device used for something laborious , or something simple , nothing overly extravagant

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
can you tell us how big they are ?

the size of the objects may help in determining what they were used for ?
exact measurements wpould prove useful

teh object isnt carved with any further ornamentation , therefore it wasnt used for something of religious or ornamental value .

I think it is a device used for something laborious , or something simple , nothing overly extravagant

OP says four to eleven centimeters....approx. 1-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches.
I'm convinced it's simply a tool for making balls for popular games of the period. It would be a good job for somebody...invest in one of these and make one or two a day....it'd be a decent income.

It's likely a game played by warriors and kids of all ages would play to mimic their heroes.....same as it ever was.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I noticed that in the second photo, there is a large hole without rings around it. I looked at several websites devoted to dodecahedrons and they all have the same type of hole. Since the 2 dodecahedrons in the first photo are missing this hole, I wonder if that’s where the dodecahedron was mounted onto something else. If so, I wonder what to?

If a candle was put inside it, it might have an interesting visua against ceilings and walls.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hitekrednek

It reminds me of the type of dice Dungeons and Dragons players use.....Perhaps the Romans were really into Swords and Sorcery Role Playing Games?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

The fact that many of them had little knobs on the ends would seem to suggest that they were tossed and the knobs helped to make sure that it anchored down making sure that whatever side was up, was unambiguous. This would seem to lend credibility to the thought (as some have suggested) that it is a gambling tool....but another thought I just had was perhaps they were for divination...sort of like the I Ching....Something tossed into the air and whatever side landed up was your fate.

If either of those hypothesis's are true, what I still don't understand though, is with all the sides hollow, and holes in every side.....how did they tell one side from the other?
Perhaps the sides were painted different colors and the paint has rubbed off?
edit on 14-6-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: I added the letter "t" to the end of "pain"...because you see, I had originally meant to say "paint"....Is this an adequate answer to the question of why I did this edit? I sure do hope so....Oh how it makes me happy to fill these 'reason for the edit' boxes out....

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
My first thought was the business end of a mace.

It could be used to set out a grid pattern for doing tile and mosaics.

Rolled on wet stucco it would even create a design of it's own.

I'm thinking some sort of tool or measuring device.

A lot of old carpenter tools are works of art in their own right.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

WOW, nice catch.

It looks like a 3D magical piece to me. That second image with the complete dodecahedron has seals within pentagons, and even has surviving symbols within the rings of the seals. I would imagine some holy relic or other such talisman would go inside the piece.

I wonder if they used it like a cell phone?

no wait, an evil spirit cage.............

edit on 14-6-2011 by Khaaaaaan!! because: hmmm

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
My render of a ball made with the dodeca.....nobody's seen one of these for a while.

edit on 14-6-2011 by 3dman7 because: fixed external link

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Maybe it's an ancient form of "Jacks" If it's large enough it could be a decorative furniture piece
edit on 14-6-2011 by l0vedim0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
No idea... but I've been thinking about this thing all day... thanks a lot!

edit on 14-6-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join