History Mystery: Ancient Dodecahedron's Purpose Remains Secret:(Can you tell what it is?)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
How do they know it's even Roman?

Valid point. The map does not show any of these "Things" found in Italy or Rome. To me it does not represent anything Roman.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
reply to post by anon72

quite simple--- really.

you would place this as a set of "positioning" devices to move Heavy objects into the right place by placing a STAFF through the holes and use leverage to move the object ontop of this , in to a better position--

with 12 sides you would be able to move objects into Many directions.. pick your hole, and lift in the direction of alignment..

It is only 4.3 inches on the largest

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
reminds me of "Jacks'

Jacks Game

because of the abundance and the small size I think a game is the best guess too, if each side had once had colors on them it may be a gambling game.easy to carry if the game used only one or two like a set of dice. Clearly we need more info, were they found single, in areas of homes or where soldiers would have camped etc.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If they stuck a pike through each set of holes around it, it would become a place to store these weapons and the skeleton of a makeshift shelter for on military campaign. Dual purpose, found where the legions roamed....solved.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

and its decorative

I personally think that you nailed it right there.

I think Pier 1 Imports or Crate and Barrel still sells these.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think it's some kind of knitting device - like 'French Knitting', or 'Corking'

You wind wool around the pegs (or knobs), and pass it over and through on each turn, and the different size holes give diffferent widths of 'rope'.

How to French Knit

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My guess is it's some sort of magic decisionmaking tool for decisions involving twelve possibilities.....take it from there.

-OR- "Twelve Tables??? en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 13-6-2011 by 3dman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If the points wer sharpened, which they probably were 2000 years ago or even 1700 years ago, i'd say they look alot like a type of caltrop. Caltrops were invented by Alexander the Great when he was fightning the persians. They were designed to get caught in the hooves of cavalry horses when they were charging and pierce the soft parts of their feet to make them stumble and fall. It was Alexander the Greats remedy to a cavalry charge against his infantry since pike's handnt been invented yet. Thats what this looks like to me anyway, some sort of caltrop.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

That makes sense except in that the designs on some of these are very detailed... seems like it would be a waste of time to make they so nicely?

But, that would make sense though. From a combat point of view.

Star.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It was used to determine the number of straws needed in a bundle and then tie off lamp wicks.

Sorry. I wish it was something exciting. Just a household gadget back when clay lamps were all the rage.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Trebuchet projectile maybe?

It could be packed with straw and lit ????

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think is a container.

A container to protect something wich still has to bee seen, a relic maybe, or a crystal.

Maybe a glas bol inside , or something that projects a starmap:
Made a little render:

edit on 13-6-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
No, I cant explain it, just as I cant explain anything my dad makes at his pottery classes every monday night. I just reffer to them as abstract#1, abstract#2 and so on.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
My guess is that it's part of a throwing game, like horseshoes. You throw it up and try to get it on a stick in the ground, and you get various points depending on the holes. Just a guess.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Its a cavorite sphere

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If the best minds in archaeology can't be sure about them, it's possible that we'll never know.

The zodiac idea is apparently reliant on Plutarch and an example found in Switzerland. Not enough to be sure, but plausible. Then again, you'd expect there to be some uniformity in the patterns on these objects and there just doesn't seem to be any frequency of decoration to support the explanation.

The lack of common symbols suggests that these items were symbolic in their overall design....the shape itself being what mattered most.

Being made from bronze and stone rules out most practical applications like being load-bearing or construction tools.

The size rules out jewellery or ornamental uses...but still portable.

I wonder if they were used to symbolise mathematical concepts? It's a shot in the dark, but maybe they were used by philosophical/mathematical teachers as physical representations of abstract ideas?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Looks like a bomb dude. Maybe some sort of black powder patch went inside it and the form was for shrapnel or something.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It could be a weight for the net of a net fighter. The shape of it would allow it to snag the net.

en.wikipedia.org...
Retiarius is a Roman net fighter.

In this photo the way they show the net after it has been thrown seems useless. It would take all of about two seconds to toss the net off and attack. But if you add weighted ends that will snag the net as it wraps around the other person it would make the net much more effective.
edit on 13-6-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This site shows a Roman icosahedron which looks close to the Roman Dodecahedra.

www.georgehart.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Fill it up with a pitch soaked rag,tie a string and hag it from the ceiling and light it....if they are finding LOTS of them EVERYWHERE,then its some sort of common household item...not soem planting predictor that would call for one per house

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join