It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Mystery: Ancient Dodecahedron's Purpose Remains Secret:(Can you tell what it is?)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Yeah that does make sense actually. That's some really good thinking.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Someday future people are going to dig up some of our civilization's abstract art and try to figure out what possible practical use it could have had.

meanwhile we never mentioned it 'cause, well, what's there to say? it wasn't in any way integral to our lives, it was just sort of there, and we just took it for granted.

Probably they'll think aliens made 'em for us.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Oh that.
That's the containment chamber for the Eye of Harmony, an ancient temporal singularity what powers all TARDIS'.
I believe the Doctor was looking for that, the Time Vortex has been acting unruly as of late.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I just started meditating about a month ago, but I just saw something like this while I was doing it a few days ago. I had no reason to, I wasn't trying to think of anything other then my breathing. It was the same shape, but it didn't have those knobs on the outside, it had little dots on the inside that started to expand outside of it, it seemed to me that it represented my energy somehow. It only lasted a few moments though because I lost my focus.
edit on 13-6-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Aliens made things for us in the future finds. Love it.

WE are the aliens.

As of now, the only 100% proof I saw of Space Travelers is US.

If in the future they haven't proven different... meaning there are Ufo/Aliens... the argument would hopefully be lost.

i wonder what they will think of a Rubic's Cube...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
If it's of Roman origin then why does the map of where they have been discovered show NONE in Italy proper? That plus not much Roman documentation of it, leads me to think it's not a Roman invention.

An anti Roman device? Fashioned as a non lethal weapon by Roman era version of Black Bloc and filled with burning sulphur (brimstone) as a type of odiferous smoke bomb?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
First fans, wind turbines.

Place it over a wood pole so it sits 10 feet or so off the ground.

Place wooden dowels in each hole. Use a fabric to make a "blade" by covering the top pole and the bottom hole which is slightly ahead of the top hole. The lugs are where you tie the rope from the fabric to secure it to the hub.

When the wind blows, it'll spin. Maybe for decoration. Maybe to place wheat or something under it to dry it quicker.

Since they found wax in one, the pole it would be placed on would be waxed to improve function.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

could be an early version of a primus stove , the holes are for stoking more fuel in and with it being made of bronze the whole thing would heat up and retain the heat .
the advantage would be that it would not be visible from a distance as apposed to a normal camp fire, perfect for troops out in the field .

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
4cm to 11cm. That is jewelry sized.

Are any of them ornate? It looks like something that would hold a different object on the inside. My first thought was jewelry when i saw it. perhaps packed with incense.

But i doubt it would be that, unless we found some more ornate versions.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
They are original lawn bowling "balls" a popular game to roll your ball to target rings some distance away. The knobs on some were an improvement to have the mass above the grass.
What do I win?
edit on 13-6-2011 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I remember seeing this recorded in one of Davinci's manuscripts. It was important to him for some reason probably you know the 555 thing....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think you answered your own question. It is obviously some kind of calendar.

The last measuring point is obtained on the day that sunbeams fall through all the measuring points. In spring, the same measurements can be done (at the end of the measuring period, there will be no measuring point through which the light will fall through because the sun will be higher in the sky), but the hypotheses assumes that the dodecahedrons were only used in autumn.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sockets maybe? I don't know that they used nuts and bolts...? But when I look at it I see it fitting the end of a five-sided nut or bolt (the knobs around the edges holding it in place) and then a bar inserted into another hole for tightening or loosening from the best available angle.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Looks like a really old, really cool wine rack.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
ok, this is rediculous,

stonehenge, this thing, puma punku, and every other thing that was built to friggin tell some dumb poophead when to plant a potato.

on every continent btw.

really? was ancient man into big gov nanny states?

lolololol!!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

What about using it to wind wool, cotton or rope. Reminds me of a device used by children to plait cotton into a rope, these were then coiled and stiched to produce round mats.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
seriously my first thought was its a doorknob - something ridiculously common and round and comes in various sizes 4 to 11 centimeters - the smaller ones could've just been knobs on a dresser - the reason they all look the same is cause they are mass produced

I briefly also thought jewelry until I realized it was Centimeters and not Millimeters

then I thought of this.....

so I say its a door knob or a toy

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You guys are over thinking this. It's obvious what this thing is.

bestofferbuy.com...
www.wellpromo.com...
www.imprintitems.com...

Nothing like coming home after a long day harvesting the wheat, and having the misses rub that thing on my back.

edit on 13-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
it holds a candle and warms your coffee mug, while it protrudes lite, and its decorative

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Ancient Roman cat toys?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join