It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your house is just a pile of rubbles but it's not enough : FEMA to tornado families

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Just totally disgusting.

The house in question :

Alabama tornado recovery: FEMA rejections vex April storm victims

The tornado turned Jonathan Stewart's house into a pile of rubble on April 27, nothing but bricks and debris scattered ovei a concrete slab.

Days later, an inspector from the Federal Emergency Management Agency came to Stewart's address in Pleasant Grove, and took some notes and pictures. Three days later, Stewart received a letter stating he didn't qualify for a FEMA grant. One of the reasons: Insufficient damage.

'Based on your FEMA inspection, we have determined that the disaster has not caused your home to be unsafe to live in,' the letter read.

What the hell!

"Although the disaster may have caused some minor damage," both letters stated, "it is reasonable to expect you or your landlord to make these repairs. At this time you are not eligible for FEMA housing assistance."

Yeah sure, minor damage...

And it's not the only family this is happening to...

These head-scratching assessments -- where the words don't seem to reflect reality -- have been delivered to an unknown number of Alabama tornado victims. But FEMA says "insufficient damage" is the top reason in Alabama that people are initially determined ineligible for FEMA grants.

FEMA officials urge applicants who believe they were incorrectly declared ineligible -- for whatever reason -- to appeal.

Of course HOPEFULLY... if this comes before a judge, most of these people will win their money... but still, it's gonna cost way more in legal fees for FEMA (aka the taxpayers)... more government incompetence.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Already posted in another I hate FEMA because I am ignorant on how the agency works thread located here

I really wish you guys would understand how FEMA works. Its a support agency ONLY, and has to meet criteria before its allowed to do anything. Contrary to the paranoid delusions people have about FEMA Camps and FEMA workers creating death squads to finish off survivors, FEMA ius rather limited into what it can and cannot do, and is SUBORDINATE to State and local agencies.

FEMA FAQ - Apply for Assistance FAQ

Read... learn.... understand.... educate.

FEMA's assistance comes in after insurance claims are filed, and usually then they cover amounts the insurance company does not. Just because your house is destroyed and you dont have insurance does not mean you will be getting a new house at taxpayer expense.

Where the hell has personal accountability gone? We want to blame everyone else for a mistake these homeowners made.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I hate how you have to go through extraordinary lengths to get what you pay for in taxes from every damn paycheck. I wonder what is going to cost them more, rebuild the house or lawyer costs?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
FEMA is only preparing their camps for the masses and are not interested in helping the little guys on a minor scale.

They will be the new jailers when the SHTF so it's not in their best interests to help a small group. They have been training for the bigger events and this didn't qualify.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Reading that over I kept thinking about how many others FEMA has done this to, and because it is such an obvious mistake, you would think they would have some kind of emergency "mistake eraser" to avoid having to appeal the decision and go to court.

I am left just shaking my head at the way our government operates and functions sometimes. How can this sort of thing happen? Sad...just plain sad and I am disgusted with things like this...it just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Great post...Thanks!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This guy is a scam artist man. So he knows he's insured and not eligible for a FEMA grant but has the balls to apply for one anyways?

He should be arrested for fraud in my opinion. And according to FEMA there are many cases such as this?

They have a simple appeal system set up where they will send someone out to check again so that's not an issue but I can see them making mistakes with all the fraud they have to sort through.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Already posted in another I hate FEMA because I am ignorant on how the agency works thread located

Well okay then...thanks for the link!

I will go study up on how ignorant I am when considering if FEMA is just doing their job (also noteworthy...I don't hate FEMA).

Seems to me though really if they are saying there was not sufficient damage...then they must be mistaken because there is sufficient damage...who pays for it may be another matter.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Government:

If you help people, you're wasting money and "rewarding failure."
If you don't help people, you're corrupt and incompetent.

And we wonder, after sending mixed signals like these, why the government has such an identity crisis.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
flame me if you all must.

but the people who need to pay first is well the home owners insurance company.

people stop running to the government first and then your insurance company

seeking a double payout.

i feel for the familys but their insurance as all homes are required by law to have them

and most people in order to get a home loan is require to have insurance on it.

i cant stand fema as much as the next guy on here.

but i dont create hate out of thin air.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Would you bring that up when your house gets destroyed, and you get denied temporary housing that you pay taxes for while your house is being rebuilt?

Just because you have renters insurance doesn't mean your house will fix itself immediately after it's destroyed. Temporary housing is paid for by the taxpayers, and as a taxpayer I'd expect to receive what I pay for if I NEED it.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

if you have renters insurance it aint your home

its the home owners who more than likely does have insurance..

add the fact were fema gets it money from us.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If they are renters then they are not the home owners...true...and they do not qualify for much but they can apply for this:

Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time): Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government provided housing unit when rental properties are not available.

FEMA

Providing they meet the qualifications...that may be another story entirely.

Still reading up on what FEMA does and does not do though...so I am still ignorant about the specifics.

To receive money or help for "Housing Needs" that are the result of a disaster, all of the following must be true:

•You have losses in an area that has been declared a disaster by the president.

•You have filed for insurance benefits and the damage to your property is not covered by your insurance or your insurance settlement is insufficient to meet your losses
•You or someone who lives with you is a citizen of the United States, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.

•The home in the disaster area is where you usually live and where you were living at the time of the disaster.

•You are not able to live in your home now, you cannot get to your home due to the disaster, or your home requires repairs because of damage from the disaster.

edit on 12-6-2011 by jerryznv because: ...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Good reply. Too many people are thinking emotionally these days, and are not thinking critically nor rationally. Life is not fair.
edit on 12-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

I wish my place was destroyed, uh, without me in it.

That way I would at least be able to move elsewhere after MY insurance that I paid for, compensated me. All the money I have paid into insurance, I’d like to see a return to be truthful. You have to prepare for all things, from Go-Bags to financial hard times.

I would not contact FEMA.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

The part you are leaving out though, or failing to acknowledge, is you are only getting the guys side of the story who was denied. As anbother poster stated, tthe guy has insurance, and must use that first. After that step they can apply for FEMa assitance, but its not guaranteed.

Why do people think that anytime a disaster hits, and people are not properly prepared for it, that the government should just hand out blank checks? People complain about government spending, accountability, etc, yet seem to ignore it when it serves their own purpose.

As I said, FEMA is a support ONLY agency, not a lead agency.

Personal accountability, local assistance, county assistance, state assistance and federal assistance.....

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I am in agreement...if the fellow had insurance let his insurance pay and he is wrong to ask for assistance (well from FEMA), but if he is in need and local (provided there is any available in this tornado struck town) assistance is not able to help then FEMA should at least help him and his family with temporary housing in the mean time.

Personal accountability and emotions aside, he and his family are without a home, whether or not he prepared for a disaster like this is irrelevant...I know I am not prepared to lose everything I own (really who is?).

I just don't think it is acceptable to leave anyone in the street if no other assistance is available then FEMA should lend a hand...it is what they are for...secondary assistance. If primary assistance is not able to help these folks out then I think someone should. My first thought was FEMA (I know differently now)...and if I am mistaken then I will gracefully bow out and shake my head in amazement because the way I am reading these assistance requirements, these folks do meet the criteria for housing assistance at the renter's level at least.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
what FEMA was actually saying here was that

FEMA would not approve their loan cuz they
show no visible signs of being able to re-pay
their loan.

Don't take their money.
You'll be indebted the rest of
your natural born life.

Elevated interest rates,
SWAT kicking in your tent door
when you're 1 week late on
your payment.

you might not feel like it right now,
but maybe they did you guys a favor
in the long run.

my opinion of course

edit on 6/12/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Alright then... If He knew He had a deductable..then he's fine. It's my understanding that most Banks have an underwriting policy that if the homeowner failed to pay his insurance premium,the banks note's insurance automatically kicks in....

So the guy is not a victom.

BUT, If the insurance Company's fail to pay... It's still not FEMA's responsibility to pay..But...

FEMA's reason why He's not qualified is/was weak....as it reads.

The house is destroyed... To say it doesn't meet the defintion of destroyed makes FEMA look bad..

That's all.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is what happened to the people in katrina, and so you have people like Brad Pitt down there paying to help rebuild houses and communities.

The citizens in this country have to take a back seat because tptb send our money over to other countries. After katrina happened, this should have been a huge lesson to everyone that you are not going to get much help when you end up in a disaster. It's a horrible reality, but Americans are not important enough, people in other countries are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join