It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defend your daughter? 20 years in prison

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Dear Sir,

I would like to counterpoint your comment that

this is an example of how firearms usually cause more problems than they solve.

The United States exists because the populous had guns. Many evil men have been stopped by guns. Guns protect us in our homes from intruders. Guns prevent a government from crushing its people.

An example of how a positive national attitude towards guns can achieve safety and national security is Swiss' standing army. Every home is required to own and operate firearms and has the highest rate of ownership in the world. In fact:
[Switzerland : “gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept” >
The Swiss government even sponsors shooting tournaments for youth, male and female.

Guns are a tool, it is the people who handle them that are sometimes very flawed.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xFloggingMaryx
As a few other people have said before me: Why didn't this father just subdue the little prick that his daughter was dumb enough to date in the first place?

Whipping out a gun would have been a last resort... and only if the attacker was using deadly force as well. The kid was just some stupid punk whose adrenaline took over, and the father didn't help the situation by throwing a gun into the mix.

Another thing that really stands out to me: Why didn't the family call the police? I mean, there was already physical contact... the kid punched his daughter. If the father was truly concerned with justice he would have called the police and the kid would have been arrested. It's a little suspicious that the father didn't call the police and that the kid did. Maybe there is more to the story.

Obviously the father doesn't deserve to spend 20 years in jail... I don't even think he deserves to spend a month in jail. Maybe just some gun safety courses and community service. If the story is true: it's the kid who should be punished with jail time.

But of course, nothing works like it should, especially the US justice system.

The father had every right to defend himself against being attacked and beaten up by his daughter's violent punk boyfriend. You're right, the family should have immediately reported the incident to the police. If they had done so, then the brainless police and prosecutors would have approached the matter differently. As it stands, the violent punk idiot boyfriend's assault on the daughter and father is rewarded and he is given a formula for getting away with it again and again in the future and perhaps leaving a long trail of victims until someone finally takes better aim and puts the bullet where it meets his flesh.

There are too many stories like this.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You never point a gun at someone if you are not prepared to use it. He should have shot him end of story.
"Mandatory Minimum Sentences"

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

I believe the reason he didn't subdue the teenager was because the stitches in a recent wound of his were ripped open.

Sometimes it's rather hard to brawl when you're injured unless you're a professional fighter.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0001391
Most of the mandatory minimum laws are sold to the public through initiatives that get voted on. I know that's the case in my state, where the insufferable moron voters repeatedly vote on things they don't read and then don't understand why things are happening. People need to read the laws they are voting on. These days if the ads for a measure say something like that it's to punish those horrible meth users and dealers, it's probably something about giving police the ability to steal from you with no cause or some other such thing. Everyone's eager to lock people up forever because Americans are so busy blaming each other for whatever hardships they are enduring, rather than looking at the real criminals and culprits behind it all. It's always easier to blame someone you see as lesser than you than face the reality that very powerful people outside of your personal control, people that may seem untouchable, are responsible.

The more people have asked the government to solve their problems, the more freedom they have had taken away. The inalienable right to defend yourself and your family and your property has been stripped so that people are afraid to so much as use force to stop a home invasion for fear they themselves will be placed in jail, which obviously happens quite often. Nobody "in power" wants you to be able to defend yourself because not only would you not need them so much, you could also defend yourself against them as well. It's a scary thought for everyone whose business it is to interfere with your business.

Yes, but they always couch the legislation in terms difficult for the average person to comprehend, that is, in layers terms. Terminology used has specific meanings to a lawyer but not to the layperson. . I try to read stuff I'm going to vote on, but you almost have to do a search to see if you can find more material on what it does.
edit on 13-6-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: sp

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 13-6-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
how can a society can accept to live in such an oppresive world
sl

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Where the h*** is justice? What about the abusive boyfriend? Did he serve time too? This is such complete bs!!! I was attacked in my car by an ex-boyfriend who literally climbed into my lap, grabbed the back of my head by my hair and was trying to kiss me...all while I was trying to drive down the road. I had told him I was done with his abuse and done with him. When he "kissed" me, I bit his lip. He in turn threw the hot cup of coffee that I had just purchased on me and proceeded to grab the steering wheel forcing me into the oncoming traffic lane. Luckily, it was early and there was no traffic! I immediately pulled over to a gas station and called the cops (from a payphone as the clerk inside refused to allow me to call them from the "company phone"). The cops came, saw the coffee on me, but threatened to take ME to jail, as his lip was bleeding from where I had bit him! So I didn't press charges. The same cops, then offered my ex a ride to work, as that was where we were heading to begin with! Our "law and order" system is a complete joke!!!! There is no protection against abusive parents or partners.....it's all one big joke....and the victims are the butt of it!!!!! >

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

Possibly. I mean, I wasn't there... so I have no idea what condition the father was in.

But then again... the stitches were ripped out, and the kid left for a few hours before he returned. So by that time the blood would have at least clotted, but I have no idea how big the wound was.

Either way, right after the kid left with his daughter... he should have called the police. At least then, when they returned the second time... the police would have probably been there and the whole altercation would have never escalated as it did.

But yeah, in my mind, I'm picturing some like 50-something fit guy versus a 16 year old punk. And even if the older guy is slightly injured... if he was trying to protect his daughter I'm sure he could have at least thrown a punch or two or even a kick to the groin if he was desperate. Then once the kid is down, sit on him until the police arrive. But I'm sure that scene is a little too ludicrous.

Regardless, he should have called the police on his way to the house when he got the initial call from his wife.
Or... at least, called them when he saw his daughter sitting on the porch with a black eye.
If not then... why not call them after the initial fight when his stitches were ripped out and the violent kid took his daughter away?
Or hey, at least call them when the kid returns the second time to cause trouble.

But nope, he didn't call at any of those times which I think is what let the kid off the hook.

Obviously, it's not justice. And I don't approve of the courts decision to imprison the father for whipping out a gun.
But I really wonder why this concerned father didn't call the police considering all the opportunities he had to do so.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I have no idea, but I agree with you. He really should have called the cops. Perhaps he got it into his head that it would have made him seem weak or something, who knows? I just don't get how it would have been better for him to shoot the kid dead rather than just try to scare him.

Also, this is America we're talking about, the man was probably fat and out of shape to begin with.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Basilis
Also, this is America we're talking about, the man was probably fat and out of shape to begin with.

See? Then he totally could have sat on the kid to subdue him!!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FunSized
As many have already said, this dad's sentence is rediculous, especially since he chose to fire a warning shot instead of simply killing this kid as a lot of people would have done. As to calling the police, the kid had pulled his crap multiple times and I doubt he'd have stopped just because the cops were involved, I'm sure the dad and gf thought so too.
What the father should have done is immediately spackle and paint over the bullet hole in his house and been like 'what shooting? what hole? I have no idea what this crazy punk is talking about'. It would most likly just be an adults word against some kid's.
Normally I don't advocate lieing in general or to the police in particular. But in a situation like this, with a system that is as screwed up as it is, its not in your best interest to tell your side, at least not without a good lawyer present, preferably one that specializes in cases like this.

The police probably get tired of troubleshooting domestic disturbances. If this had been an armed break in by someone the family did not know, things would be different, but then there would have been no time to call police. I can remember when I lived in the city in a flat, when I had a young child, and we had walked to the corner store a few houses down. On the way back, I saw some young people breaking into the house next door. The inhabitants were on vacation or something, and I watched the thugs kick the basement window in. Then one of them said,"What about this one?" That would have been my house. Then they saw us coming down the sidewalk. We hurried into the house and called the cops, but the cops never showed. Later, I found out that they had received many calls on that house before. I was just steps away from these people and was genuinely scared.
The cities are full of this kind of crime. On that block, I had my home broken into, an attempted robbery while I was preggie(the guy was caught) and the car tires slashed. I was told they break into cars just to steal the coins from the coin trays in cars.
People who are career criminals know that mostly unarmed populace will not be able to defend themselves.

Oh yah and this was before cell phones were everywhere.
edit on 13-6-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I guess he should've shot the kid and got his money's worth.

Foolish system.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This source is incredibly biased.

I trust none of this information.

I do, however, think that the "level-headed adult" in the situation, as the "article" would have you believe anyways, should have just picked up the phone and called the police about the abuse on his daughter... Or better yet, beat the snot out of him himself...

There was absolutely no means for a firearm in this situation.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The father should be released from prison and the ..POS pansy ass woman beater should be tortured to death using Spanish Inquisition type methods .We need to take our country back from this madness , if you are an evil doer if you hurt the innocent ...YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOU GET AND MORE ......

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by essanance
The father should be released from prison and the ..POS pansy ass woman beater should be tortured to death using Spanish Inquisition type methods .We need to take our country back from this madness , if you are an evil doer if you hurt the innocent ...YOU DESERVE EVERYTHING YOU GET AND MORE ......

How do we know she wasn't hitting him first? Innocent my foot! This source SUCKS! How can you make assumptions like that?

I'd like to hear both sides of this story before hearing brash monologues about killing young men out of "justice".
edit on 13-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The trick to being in a situation like this,where someone feels the need to use a gun,is to make sure you are the only one telling the story of what happened.....dont let the other witness walk away to tell something dfferent....or to call the cops first

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I believe it's often difficult to foresee what is going to happen in scenarios like this. People are unpredictable. Still, if he announced to the guy he was going to call the cops he could possibly have scared him off, but what's to stop him from doing something in the future? If you announce you are calling the cops, a strong guy could just subdue you. You just don't know in every case.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
bs stories are piling up more and more I see, does bs need to affect everyone at the same time to have any effect on change?

the Gov are the bully and we are the weak pissed scared victim.. lame

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hey. You Right Wing types who, over the past several decades, kept harping that liberals were soft on crime brought this on yourselves. We've been telling you. Your freedoms will be next thanks to what you have wrought. Deal with it. America is a Right Wing paradise. Have fun.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join