It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt detains Israel 'officer' for spying

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Egypt detains Israel 'officer' for spying

www.news.com.au

EGYPTIAN authorities have arrested an alleged Israeli officer working for the Mossad intelligence agency on charges of spying, the official MENA news agency reported yesterday.
The Supreme State Security prosecutor ordered the man's detention for 15 days pending investigations into alleged "spying on Egypt with the aim of damaging its economic and political interests", MENA said.

Egyptian state television said the "Mossad officer", an Israeli national, had arrived in Egypt shortly after the start of the January 25 uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak, seeking to "incite cha
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sun Jun 12 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: to complete title from article

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Dammit...

That could really inflame revenge attacks if something were to happen to this accused spy.

Israel will deny all association of course.. But a weakened Egypt Killing an Israeli SPY, publically..is only going to lead to trouble.
Imagine If the Syrian protestors did the same, it would almost force Israel to respond.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Damn, they just detained one guy, I thought they detained the whole country.

Seems they have spies everywhere, then again so does the US...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Did Egypt not recently relax the controls on the Gaza border recently..... wonder if there is a connection.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Naw the spy game happens all the time. Egypt is probably hoping to prove this a guy so they can swap him for one of their own that Israel more than likely has.

I don't recall spy's ever being the root cause of an event. Even the husband and wife we caught giving our nuke secrets to Russia didn't lead to anything other than their executions.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
....and so does Egypt, Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, UK, France, Germany, South Africa, Gabon, The FEderated States of Micronesia, Tiawan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Ukraine, Georgia, Yemen, Djibouti, S. Korean, North Korean, Fiji, New Zealand, Austrailia.......

This is nothing new, nor is it easrth shattering.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
....and so does Egypt, Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, UK, France, Germany, South Africa, Gabon, The FEderated States of Micronesia, Tiawan, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Ukraine, Georgia, Yemen, Djibouti, S. Korean, North Korean, Fiji, New Zealand, Austrailia.......

Though I haven't heard of Australian spies faking Israeli passports..
But heck, it's Israel so all is OK

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Israeli officer you mean!!

I said ok ya right Egypt detained the whole of Israel, wow are they good or what.

Israel probably has hundreds of Egyptians in jail for any number of crimes so a swap would seem likely if he is even a spy.

Accusations will start being exaggerated now from Egypt like the other loony Arab nations when it comes to Israel so I'm not to concerned.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think this is a little more serious than that.
With the revolutions taking place this is effectively the first opportunity for the new Egypt to show its real intentions.

Not only did they investigate and capture this man, they've publically shown it to the world (meaning no backroom deals now)

An Israeli spy caught in a hostile and angry Arab land.

Much like if an American spy was caught in Iraq, or a Pakistani spy caught in India.

And with hatred running so high, this man will either be indefinitely detained, aka Gilad Shilat
or he will be found guilty and executed.

edit on 12-6-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Though I haven't heard of Australian spies faking Israeli passports..
But heck, it's Israel so all is OK

My point, which you seem to miss chuckles, is its nothing new. Yes Israel, and every other country on this planet, including the Vatican, spies on each other.

The Vatican has the oldest intelligence agency on the planet.

My response was self evident, that the only time it makes a thread here, is when Israel is in the title. Other than that, you guys ignore it.

Gee, I wonder why.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

My point, which you seem to miss chuckles, is its nothing new. Yes Israel, and every other country on this planet, including the Vatican, spies on each other.
My response was self evident, that the only time it makes a thread here, is when Israel is in the title. Other than that, you guys ignore it.
Gee, I wonder why.

Chuckles??

But don't you same guys brag about how Israeli intelligence is the biggest and the best??
Obviously then you agree they do more spying than most and don't mind stepping on other contries toes,even so called allies..

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Gee, I wonder why.

Gee, I do wonder why?

Probably has something to do with the fact that Israel is always getting caught spying, or getting caught in assassination scandals. Faking passports, infiltrating every 1st world country and instigating a state of paranoia. Might also have something to do with the fact that Israel's government is an institution of bloodlusting religious psychopaths, who have stated, OVER AND OVER, on the RECORD that they want to war with all of the middle-east, and they want all of the 1st world to do it for them. So when spies traipse about in the very same countries they've held interest in going to war, it's concerning.

But no, it's all permitted because of that one time Ahmadinejad said something that was misquoted about the Jews in Israel. So therefore, Israel has the right to spy on everyone, and convince the rest of the world to destroy the entire middle-east. It's permitted, they have the right, as God's chosen.

But no.. no.. that has nothing to do with it. Right Xcath? It must be antisemitism and racism.. there is absolutely no other explanation ever. Those poor poor defenseless Israelis. I shed a tear.
edit on 12-6-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Xcathdra

Gee, I wonder why.

Chuckles??

But don't you same guys brag about how Israeli intelligence is the biggest and the best??
Obviously then you agree they do more spying than most and don't mind stepping on other contries toes,even so called allies..

Chuckles - a term used to denote sarcasm and friendliness so we dont derail the thread
by taking each other in the wrong tone.

I have never said Israeli intelligence was the best or the biggest. They have had their fair share of success and failures, just like any other intelligence agency.

All I am saying is that all countries will spy on other countries, including allies. Turkey is a PORIME example of why this occurs. One day they are an ally, the next day a new government is elected and relations shift. To assume only Israel does this is naive. To dimiss other countries while specifically singaling out Israel makes no sense either.

All I am saying is countries have always spied on each other, and always will, regardless if they are friend or foe.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Mossad Motto 'By Way of Deception, thou shalt do War'.

Kinda says it all in one neat sentence.
You have to love a spy agency that uses the word "WAR" in their motto..

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Damn, they just detained one guy, I thought they detained the whole country.

Seems they have spies everywhere,

lol, yeppers

we got 300 in congress alone

and just as soon as they've milked
us dry, they'll leave us on fire.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

If Mossad had a record of humanitarian activities then I would be shocked if Mossad agents are hanged in public, but since Mossad has a record of assassinations, causing unrest and bloodshed, causing division and spying on the civilian and governmental entities, any agent proven to be part of this organization should be hanged in public, then their body dumped in the sea.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

along with their arab counterparts who do the same thing?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Yeah any organization with a record of such activities, their members should be hanged. I don't support hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

What does Israel do when they find a spy??

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Turns out Egypt may have acted to hastily...

Alleged 'spy' in Egypt is US citizen, IDF paratrooper

Ilan Grapel, the alleged Mossad agent arrested on Sunday in Egypt, is an American citizen who served in the IDF Paratrooper’s Brigade during the Second Lebanon War and interned last summer at the Israeli Supreme Court.

Grapel, originally from New York, moved to Israel after graduating from Johns Hopkins University in the US and enlisted in the IDF.

He was wounded during fighting against Hezbollah guerillas in the southern Lebanese town of Taibe in August, 2006. In an interview to the New York Daily News in 2006, Irene Grapel said her son decided to enlist in the IDF since he "didn't want a boring life" and craved some adventure before enrolling in graduate school.

A friend of Grapel’s told The Jerusalem Post on Monday that he had worked as an intern at the Israel Project – an Israel advocacy organization - in 2008 and had studied Arabic and even lived for short period of times with Druse communities in northern Israel. He frequently traveled throughout the Arab world.

In recent years he was a student at Emory Law School and even interned at the Israeli Supreme Court, according to the Emory Law School website.

“You could call him something of an Arabist,” one friend said. Another friend said Grapel was “pro-Arabic” and liked “hanging out in Egypt.”

In his Facebook account, Grapel cited “preaching” at Azhar University in Egypt as his job, likely a joke.

“He probably went there for an adventure and to see Tahrir Square,” the friend said. “He is very left-wing and has been in Cairo before for months at a time.”

“I was very surprised and the way I know Ilan he is not like this and has always been concerned with human rights and Palestinian rights,” another friend Shmuel said.

The Foreign Ministry said Monday afternoon that it had yet to receive details from Egypt regarding the arrest of an Israeli citizen. A government source said that Israel was assuming that Grapel was the detained Israeli after matching the pictures that appeared in the Egyptian press with those that appeared on his Facebook page.

The source said that the Foreign Ministry had updated the State Department about Grapel’s arrest since he is also an American citizen.

On Sunday, Egyptian Judge Hesham Badawi of the supreme state security prosecution ordered Grapel to be detained for 15 days on suspicion of "spying on Egypt with the aim of harming its economic and political interests," MENA news agency reported, while claiming that he worked for the Mossad, Israel’s espionage agency.

<<   2 >>

join