It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Assume They Come From Another Planet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Maybe because they come from the sea. We havent even begun looking down we always expect to look up.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePuppyTurtle

So if it were possible for us to travel at the speed of light and you switch on a torch and pointed in the direction you are traveling,.....
Would the beam of light from the torch be traveling at twice the speed of light ? or would it move into another dimension ?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Exactly who is this "we" you are referring to OP? Plenty of people have suggested they might be time travelers from the future, or that they live under the ocean, or that the planet is hollow inside and they come from there, or that they are ancient earthlings who became very advanced and we evolved subsequently. That is only to name a few.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by prophecy4

#1 - They have been tracked on radar which means they can be detected by radar, yet they suddenly show up.

We have something similar, Stealth. Different levels of stealth may sometimes be picked up on radar or not, depending on other factors. How is it relevant to an ET origin or not? A deeper understanding of how radar works (and how stealth works) may be helpful.

#2 - They have never been tracked "en route" to earth from another star or galaxy, but only after they're here.

We aren't in the habit (or expense) of tracking objects in space, other than what we've put up there. We don't have for example, listening or tracking stations orbiting the other planets, to public knowledge. So, if we don't have the tools, how could we be expected to track them getting here?

#3 - We have no evidence that there is life anywhere except earth

Not entirely accurate. Even in our own solar system, we have evidence of water on the moon, and on Mars. If you look at just one drop of water in a microscope, you'll see it's teeming with life. It is believed by scientists that an entire liquid water ocean could exist under Europa's icy crust. Can you imagine what possible life may be found there?

In fact, it's just the reverse. The idea of the Earth being the only planet to support life is near the same odds as me finding a particular grain of sand, while checking all of the beaches of Earth.

The best evidence AGAINST alien visitation isn't their existence (statistically, intelligent ET life just about HAS to be out there....), but is the DISTANCE needed to travel. Even a "neighbor" living in a system around the closest star to us, would take eons to get here using our current technology. Heck, if we could go lightspeed, it'd still take us 4 YEARS to do so.

Still though, with the progressive curve of technology constantly shortening travel times in a society, I have to think that others out there may have been around longer, and thus developed alternative means to traverse the stars, utilizing physics we don't currently understand.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Not entirely accurate. Even in our own solar system, we have evidence of water on the moon, and on Mars. If you look at just one drop of water in a microscope, you'll see it's teeming with life. It is believed by scientists that an entire liquid water ocean could exist under Europa's icy crust. Can you imagine what possible life may be found there?

Certainly on Earth, where there is water their is "Life", however scientist are hopeful but not certain that life will exist when water is found elsewhere.

Indeed when we send a probe to Europa, just imagine if we do indeed find H20 ocean but no life.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Why? Because it's advanced technology, and makes the most sense based on the info we currently have. Can we detect ghosts on radar? Why would you assume that they are supernatural? I could go with other dimensionally, or something else we have not considered yet. But other planets just makes the most sense, at the moment.

Even we as a still very young and developing species, are exploring our local solar system. So it makes sense other civiliations out there would do the same. As far as "knowing" about life in the universe.. well, if you choose to believe there is not, that's your perogative. But I think to most, it's pretty obvious that the building blocks of life are not nearly as rare as we thought, and as there are solar system millions and even billions of years more advanced than ours, it's hardly a stretch to think they could create space travel that is feasible. Look at how far we've come in a mere 100 years. Where will be in in 1000? 10,000 years?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit But I think to most, it's pretty obvious that the building blocks of life are not nearly as rare as we thought, and as there are solar system millions and even billions of years more advanced than ours, it's hardly a stretch to think they could create space travel that is feasible.

The sheer numbers of stars in the Universe would make almost a certainty that life does indeed exist elsewhere.

The question though still remains, how much intelligent life is out there that have the capability to manipulate their planets resources to develop technology, and how long do those civilisations survive.

We all know about the planet needing to be within "The Goldilocks" zone of our star the Sun for life to exist and for human civilisation to spring up, but what shouldn't be underestimated is our Moon.
Many scientist are of the view that the Moon stabilising effect on the Earth was essential for intelligent life to have developed, so any planet that is similar to Earth would also need a similar size satellite moon as well.

The jury is still out as to how common or rare intelligent civilisations capable of reaching beyond their solar systems are.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All I have to say is.....................................................................................................................facepalm!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
All I have to say is.....................................................................................................................facepalm!

I found this hard to post to as well, years of esperiences ,reasearch, connecting with someone only to have even more experineces, and many answers coming, and read this and groan..................too unreal!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by prophecy4

Without reading I would just have to say uhm for the simple reason that we wouldve seen them by now and known they were here they don't live underground that's rediculous and there's not many places except deep underwater that we haven't explored and yes we keep finding more and more species of things but there bugs and birds and those are hard to find anyways

After reading your research hasn't helped you much man none of that solidifies your theory "to me" at least

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logical one

Originally posted by Gazrok

Certainly on Earth, where there is water their is "Life", however scientist are hopeful but not certain that life will exist when water is found elsewhere.

Indeed when we send a probe to Europa, just imagine if we do indeed find H20 ocean but no life.

We've already found water on multiple planets

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
A very interesting post. I have recently started studying UFO phenomenon, and I have found a strange pattern. Many of the abductees say they were brought to a space ship, yet experience very little travel time and are brought to a place which setting is not consistent with that of a space vessel. Many abductees say they are in rocky caverns with around 45 minutes of travel time. They do say they are met by strange beings, but it is my conclusion that in many cases, they are abducted, and do not actually leave the Earth, but are taken underground.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Logical one

In relation to your statement, I believe Michael Crichton addresses your issue. In "The Andromeda Strain" he says that if we find an alien life, there is a %99.9 chance of it being microbial. I know its not real science, in fact its fiction, but he brings up a great point. What if life never evolved that planet? Life is a rarity in the universe, I'm sure complex life is even more rare.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join