It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's Navy Activated For Drills.....Japan on Alert; US Destroyer In Area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

BEIJING - A naval fleet of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) will conduct a training drill within international waters in the western Pacific Ocean from the middle to the end of this month, the Ministry of National Defense said on Thursday. The ministry, in a news release issued by its Information Affairs Office, said that the training complies with relevant international laws and is not aimed at any particular country or specific target.

So the Chinese Navy is heading out into the Pacific Ocean to conduct scheduled drills. From what I understand, there are at least 11 ships on the move, including a submarine support vessel, which indicates that there may be submarines include in the drill, but not confirmed.

The PLA claim this is simply an exercise and they are fully within their right to do so in international waters. They also claim there is no reason for concern.

Japan is not taking this lightly and has put it's navy on alert and will be monitoring all actions by the PLA fleet.

According to Kyodo News, Japan's Maritime Self Defense Force (MSDF) is on alert and is continuing to monitor the fleet's movements.

At the same time, the US has deployed the USS Chung-Hoon to the South China Sea to exercise their right to free passage in the area and participate in exercises with the Philippines.

One of the most formidable warships in the United States Navy has been deployed in the South China Sea and Sulu Sea for “freedom of navigation operations,” reports said.

This comes at a time when China is still in dispute with a few nations over rights to the South China Sea and islands within the area. Including Vietnam, who has filed for rights with the UN for the South China Sea, as has China. With both countries claiming that their Naval operations have engaged each others fishing vessels on the South China Sea.

China blames Hanoi for that episode, saying that armed Vietnamese boats were illegally chasing Chinese fishing boats out of the area, and that a fishing net accidentally snagged the research cable. Vietnam, however, called the damage to the research cable premeditated and said it was the second such confrontation in recent weeks. The episode, Vietnam said, took place within the exclusive economic zone, extending 200 nautical miles from the Vietnamese coast, that is reserved for Hanoi under international law. China said it took place outside that zone.

On a side note, the Chinese Navy had finally admitted that it is in the process of rebuilding a former-Soviet aircraft carrier.

“is being built, but it has not been completed

In my opinion, there is no reason to believe that this is nothing more than a naval drill and not an act of aggression at all. The Japanese has a history of becoming alarmed any time they PLA conducts drills. I also believe that it is just coincidence that a US ship happens to be moving in the same area. Still, many nations in the area are clearly skeptical of China's intentions and are on alert even though China has tried to quell concerns.

So what do you think ATS?

China Daily
Naval Today
NY Times
Philippine Star
edit on 12-6-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: fix title

edit on 12-6-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: spellin's

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Thanks for the report sheepslayer. Very interesting info. I've been looking into the chinese aircraft carrier and this new information brings that story full circle.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Yes, the Aircraft carrier interested me as well.

All of the great nations in the world own aircraft carriers — they are symbols of a great nation,” Qi was quoted as saying.

I don't know too much about the Chinese military, but I have never heard of the Chinese having a well-equipped air force. So I wonder if this is more for show.

Edit to add: I was wrong. China has the third largest air force in the world, largest in Asia..according to Wikipedia.

the PLAAF currently consists of approximately 330,000 personnel and 2,500+ aircraft of which 1,617 are combat aircraft, making the PLAAF the largest air force in Asia, and the third largest in the world behind the United States Air Force and the Russian Air Force. These figures do not include PLA Naval Aviation which has 26,000 personnel and 570 aircraft (290 combat aircraft).

Wiki
edit on 12-6-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Well my dad is apparently still well informed enough to not even worry about the chinese threat. He claims they don't have a navy capable of delivering their million man army to the US or anywhere else for that matter. Well, that was before news about their "new" aircraft carrier got out. No telling what else they're currently working on for their navy.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

Yes, the addition of an aircraft carrier does extend China's reach, but is one aircraft carrier enough to legitimize concern?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Wow thanks for the info. It seems we will have many nations in an area...11 ships and submarines, what a huge exercise

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Any land invasion will be by land, not by a sea to land invasion. Look to Mexico for an incoming land war invasion.
The aircraft carrier would not be long for this world if off the US coasts.

I don't see China being able to deploy their military.

This is not a direct threat to the US, but maybe indirect. But a direct threat to neighboring countries? You bet.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

That's how I see it. They may be a regional threat, if they are a treat at all. I cannot speculate on China's intent, but so far they have not posed a threat to anyone.

I also agree that a land invasion of the US, whether its from land or sea, would be suicide and it would be hard to get that many troops on the ground. And let's not forget that not only do they have to deal with the military, but also the American public who are armed quite well.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

The Chinese do not need to invade the USA with its military.
It already owns the country, holding huge amounts of government bonds etc.
It is when the Chinese say to the USA - "enough is enough - we want our pound of flesh" that you will all realise that you and your government are no longer in control of your own country.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

Your blowing the debt issue out of proportion. At most the Chinese held debt amounts to 25%. Thats a far cry from the majority of debt held by foriegn govts. Sure it would hurt if China dumped all the T-Bills it holds but that is a far cry from saying China "owns" the US.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

China has been pulling dirty blatant tricks to show they are the only ones allowed in the South China sea and they need to be put in their place or they will keep doing this kind of thing. I would not trust China at all. This could be a move against Vietnam and the U.S. should have sent out a few more ships just to make sure they don't try anything with anyone.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sailor Sam

The Chinese do not need to invade the USA with its military.
It already owns the country, holding huge amounts of government bonds etc.
It is when the Chinese say to the USA - "enough is enough - we want our pound of flesh" that you will all realise that you and your government are no longer in control of your own country.

No Japan and Saudi Arabia own far more of U.S. assets. China needs us to buy their junk to stay alive.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Interesting, a U.S. warship has entered the Black Sea as well, Russia isn't taking it so kindly

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Any land invasion will be by land, not by a sea to land invasion. Look to Mexico for an incoming land war invasion.
The aircraft carrier would not be long for this world if off the US coasts.

I don't see China being able to deploy their military.

This is not a direct threat to the US, but maybe indirect. But a direct threat to neighboring countries? You bet.

No one will want to invade the U.S. as the country collapses we will be fighting each other. (Ironically with all the guns that kept many countries off of our soil).

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I'm just saying they're obviously working on more ships...
I doubt they would just start work on an aircraft carrier for the hell of it without intentions of building new destroyers and battleships.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat

Well my dad is apparently still well informed enough to not even worry about the chinese threat. He claims they don't have a navy capable of delivering their million man army to the US or anywhere else for that matter. Well, that was before news about their "new" aircraft carrier got out. No telling what else they're currently working on for their navy.

I've studied China military fairly well and they may have a million man standing army but they have the capacity to put out a 200 million man army if the need arose. They may not be well equipped or well trained but there are procedures in place to call them out. China has also designed it's factories to be transformed from goods producing to military producing very rapidly in case the need arises.

Bottom line is that China can throw alot at somebody very quickly however their ability to transport is severly limited meaning any engagements overseas or far across the continent may be problematic for them.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Bottom line is that China can throw alot at somebody very quickly however their ability to transport is severly limited meaning any engagements overseas or far across the continent may be problematic for them.

I think there friend named Russia has a lot of spare transportation equipment lying around that China would love to bye at a yardsale..............

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
reply to post by kro32

I think there friend named Russia has a lot of spare transportation equipment lying around that China would love to bye at a yardsale..............

Except China and Russia are far from friends.

They have a very weird history between their two countries and it's hard to say exactly what their relationship is other than they aren't enemies but certainly not friends either.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

They may have us beaten by numbers, but I do agree that logistics would be a huge problem.

I doubt the Russians would be willing to risk its backside as well. There's to much at stake.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Every time a Chinese soldier farts in Japan's direction, are we going to get a thread about it?

Big deal, they are holding exercises in International waters. Every country with major combat vessels like frigates and submarines holds exercises in International waters.

Japan is going to monitor them? Wow, shocking news. That's never happened before. OH! MY! GOD!.

Why ask what ATS thinks, tell us what you think. You think the Chinese are going to start a war with 11 ships in the Pacific on exercise?

Japan's Navy consists of 2 helicopter carriers, 10 destroyers, 36 frigates, 16 submarines. As far as combat ships go.
China, 63 submarines around 30 of which are obsolete junk, 26 destroyers, 56 frigates about 20 of which are obsolete.

So China is sending 11 ships, out of 145 major combat vessels, for exercises? I'm impressed.

Since you asked what we think, I think you are making a big deal about nothing.

Just imagine if there was an opposing military alliance like NATO, and they held large exercises like NATO does in international waters near our countries. NATO does it all the time, but I don't see those countries or people from there getting all worked up.
But here, the moment China sends 11 ships most of which were probably built in the 1970's, to hold exercises in international waters, it's automatically an offensive move.

Just imagine for a moment how China must have felt all these years with American carrier battle groups routinely patrolling "international waters" near China an holding exercises with the Japanese and South Koreans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join