It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Invents Machine To Convert Plastic Into Oil

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
So we got all this plastic that's filling up land fill sites and the Japanese has this invention that seems no one is aware of and the government isn't paying any attention to.
In fact there are so many ways to other energy sources, but for some strange reason nobody seems to care.
It is a very mysterious wonder that the ingenuity of ideas and inventions don't seem to take on an exciting direction.
What the hell is going on? In one simple word, "greed."
The audio is in Japanese, but there are subtitles.

edit on 12-6-2011 by hawaii50th because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I like it!!!! Another good idea by them Japanese. But the big oil companies will come up with some propaganda about this machine not being safe or the oil it produces not being safe. Or just have that machine banned by passing some law...
edit on 12-6-2011 by blackrain17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
OMFG! Where do you think plastic comes from? It's made from fraking oil! So of course you can turn plastic into oil, because it takes about 2 tonnes of oil to make about 1 tonne of plastic...

www.priweb.org...

"You will probably be surprised to know that a plastic bottle is made from the same petrochemical as the fiber we call polyester!

All plastic products, many of the materials used to make the clothes you wear, or the carpet you walk on, plus hundreds of the other products we take for granted, are made from petrochemicals. As the name implies, a main ingredient in petrochemicals is oil."

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Seeing as plastic is made from oil, it's not exactly a revelation that you can reverse the process, at least with some plastics at least. After all, "Oil" is just a mixture of various hydrocarbons and we obtain them by cracking (heating to different temps), splitting off the various chemicals within so we can use them.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
OMFG! Where do you think plastic comes from? It's made from fraking oil! So of course you can turn plastic into oil, because it takes about 2 tonnes of oil to make about 1 tonne of plastic...

www.priweb.org...

"You will probably be surprised to know that a plastic bottle is made from the same petrochemical as the fiber we call polyester!

All plastic products, many of the materials used to make the clothes you wear, or the carpet you walk on, plus hundreds of the other products we take for granted, are made from petrochemicals. As the name implies, a main ingredient in petrochemicals is oil."

Sometimes, you can't revert something back to its original form when it has undergone a chemical process or structure change.

Simple example: Melt sugar to caramel...try to turn it back to its original form. Can't be done, believe me. So what he's done, is not in the norm. Try and melt plastic and see what you get.

S&F

Although this has been posted on ATS a few times, I still appreciate the excitement. Yes, this man should be heard but we all know it won't happen.

edit on 12-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is pretty amazing but is it ecomonical? Plastic can already be recycled so unless this method works out more economical there isnt much use for it.
edit on 12-6-2011 by PheonixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
yup isnt that awsome i saw this about 2 years ago on wimp.com the japanese come up with the coolest stuff.
edit on 12-6-2011 by SpunGCake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
JBI finds way to turn plastic into fuel
Niagara Falls company invents new process that could transform energy tech.

This is an operational plant in Niagara Falls NY

www.buffalonews.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Looks like a thermal depolymerizer. There is a company called Changing World Technologies that has been trying to get this ramped up to a commercially viable product for years. I think they went bankrupt a couple of years back but are reorganizing.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
Looks like a thermal depolymerizer. There is a company called Changing World Technologies that has been trying to get this ramped up to a commercially viable product for years. I think they went bankrupt a couple of years back but are reorganizing.

Someone has already asked this, but not to you...but how viable is it, economically, do you think?

In somewhere like India, this could be amazingly life changing for poor communities and help combat the devastation that is being caused to the enviroment and wildlife by the growing islands of plastic swamping their waterways...or is there more to it than that...have I got my rose-tinted specs on again?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Most of you are missing the point entirely ...

We have all this plastic trash that is buried in the ground, thrown into the ocean, or left in the streets, and we COULD recycle all of it into oil, rather than waste it.

Yet we don't. At least, it doesn't seem that way. Most of it continues to sit there.

Also OP, it appears that this has already been covered, lol ... back in 2010. Hmmm.

A Machine That Turns Plastic Back Into Oil
edit on 12-6-2011 by Nurv47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pythein
In somewhere like India, this could be amazingly life changing for poor communities and help combat the devastation that is being caused to the enviroment and wildlife by the growing islands of plastic swamping their waterways...or is there more to it than that...have I got my rose-tinted specs on again?

Thanks

When CWT first came out with the process, it was going to be this big thing that was going to solve every issue from sewage to trash to old car tires, by economically turning ANY organic feedstock back into oil. And it sort of can, in the lab, but they ended up predicting $15 a barrel for #2 fuel oil from the thing, to getting an actual cost of $80 in the real world.

I'm not sure why it cost 6x what they predicted. If you COULD do it for the original prediction, it would be a real game changer. It just didn't happen. The gubmint was supposed to kick in major bucks for further development but never did, and I imagine that didn't help. I had great hopes for it and I still think thermal depolymerization is a very viable technology whether you do it the CWT way or some other.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Actually it is a very simple thing to do.

Heat the plastic in a oxygen low enviroment to about 400 degrees and let the vapor out of the vessel and run trough a kind of distillation process.

Anybody can do this at home.

The result of the three stages are from diesel like fuel up to gasoline. depending on different factors you will get the diesel, but also a flammable gas you can use to keep the process going at lower costs.

Here a simple schematic: ( From Jetijs)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Many people concentrating on the economics.

Don't forget to factor in the environment and the costs to sustain, protect etc.

Land fill costs, fishing, pollution, health and on and on.

Even if this thing costs 6 times the original estimate, all the other damages that occur as a result of plastic on the planet will even out and surpass the costs IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I would have thought that when you factor in transportation, collection of material and even possibly, disposal of any waste, etc, it could bump up the cost immeasurably. Plus I wonder whether there are tests that have to be carried out on the 'finished product' which may represent an over inflated hidden cost, especially if the required experts come via the Big Oil companies.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sweet looks like I will still be able to bathe in crude oil once and for all!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Many people concentrating on the economics.

Don't forget to factor in the environment and the costs to sustain, protect etc.

Land fill costs, fishing, pollution, health and on and on.

Even if this thing costs 6 times the original estimate, all the other damages that occur as a result of plastic on the planet will even out and surpass the costs IMO.

Plus, remember, this device can put the power to produce oil into the hands of just about anybody. I don't think that anyone is in any doubt as to the advantages of such a device, but with so many of the big names investing millions in bio-refineries, I think it is unlikely to get any high level endorsements or widespread implementation. They have already chosen the direction we will be taken fuel wise. It is though the wrong direction, without a shadow of a doubt, however, that means that technology like this is only going to be run at grass-roots level. Or possibly as a contingency. Or just for use in plastics and chemical manufacture as a cyclical process would be implementable. But I seriously doubt that it will be given any backing, officiallly from any source, until oil as a fuel, has been replaced with biofuels for domestic/private use.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
My concern is that there was no mention about how much energy it took to transform the plastic back into a usable oil. I can turn water back into hydrogen and oxygen to use as fuel very easily. unfortunately though, by the time I do I've consumed more energy than I get from burning the hydrogen and oxygen I produced.
Maybe his process doesn't require much emery but I find it odd that the ratio wasn't mentioned since it is pretty much key.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

With recent gas prices it can be very lucrative.

Also the gas-vapor is a byproduct witch could be used to (assist) the heating, depending on the location you could also use solar power ( parabolic or Fresnel)

Take into account: Instead of paying for plastic waste depositing it is now a resource again.

Edit: It is being done already by private people around the globe. It is simple.

Besides plastic you could also use waste motor oil, waste veggie oil, etc.

Not all plastics are suitable, one of the plastics not suitable is PET, because of the oxygen inside the plastic.

edit on 12-6-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ok, let's say you can get oil back from plastic.
Do you realize how much plastic would be needed
to even make a dent in the oil demand ???

1 tractor trailer load full of plastic might make
enough oil to fill up the tank of the tractor trailer
ONCE. Just an estimate though. Is it worth all
the fuss to pursue ???

Find me a process that turns sea water
into oil and then we're talking history making.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join