It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Chicken Ranchero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I use to get his at a little Mexican restaurant where I use to live. That place was so good and 100% authentic. The waiters and waitresses didn't even speak English and it was family run, if you had a question about the menu they had to get one of the owners to answer. I loved that place, the food and tortillas we are all from scratch. My bf loved the chicken ranchero there and it was different from other places, their ranchero sauce was pureed where most is usually chunky. It was poured over chicken breasts that were lightly seasoned and then served with a Mexican yellow rice.

I sat there one day looking online at various recipes for it so I made many different variations til it reminded me of this particular restaurants and it stuck! If I can't find a recipe I will figure it out on my own. Sometimes it's a pain but trial and error is a lot of fun too

Mblah's Chicken Ranchero

I do not have a picture for this, sorry. I havent made this one in a while but it is on the menu for the next week so I will add a picture at that time

Ingredients

2 lbs thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup red pepper chopped
1/2 cup green pepper chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cayenne pepper (actual cayenne pepper not the powdered but it can be used, just adjust to how spicy you want it)
1 tbs minced jalapeno
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes and juice
1 cup chicken stock
3 tbs cilantro
1 1/2 cups of mexican blended cheese

Directions

In medium pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, red and green peppers and cook stirring for 3-5 mins.
Next add cumin, cayenne, salt, jalapeno and garlic and cook stirring for 30 seconds.
Then add tomatoes with the juices and cook stirring for 2 mins.

Now take the entire mixture and put into a blender or puree machine and blend/puree mixture until smooth.
Transfer sauce back to the original pan.

Add cheese and cook until cheese is slightly melted about 3-5 mins. Then add stock and simmer until thickened about 15 mins. Remove from heat and add cilantro. Adjust seasoning to your liking, cover to keep warm.

Directions for Chicken

Season chicken with a little cumin and garlic.
In a pan or a Foreman type grill cook chicken breasts until no longer pink, about 4 mins. Remove from heat. I used a foreman grill when I originally made this.

Put chicken on a plate and serve ranchero sauce over the chicken. I served with Mexican yellow rice with beans.

The traditional ranchero sauce is suppose to be chunky but I loved how they pureed it like soup but it was still a little thick. It is also good as a dip with tortillas

edit on 6/12/2011 by mblahnikluver because: grammar

edit on 6/12/2011 by mblahnikluver because: add another part to explain the cayenne pepper

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Add some green chillies and this would be a master piece. Thanks for the recipe I'm gonna throw this one down for sure!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Mmm mmm, sounds delicious! I will give this a go this week.

Peace,
spec
edit on 12-6-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: messup

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Ha you and your green chilies! Yes I have added them to this before but I usually but the canned ones since fresh ones are scarce here.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yum, I'm going to make this tonight with the red snapper that I have thawing out right now. I'll serve it with a cheesey polenta.

Thanks for the recipe! S$F

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
Yum, I'm going to make this tonight with the red snapper that I have thawing out right now. I'll serve it with a cheesey polenta.

Thanks for the recipe! S$F

Ohhh that sounds good!

You are welcome
let me know how it comes out. I haven't tried it over fish yet. I love sauces, they can be used on anything pretty much lol

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hard to find fresh ones out side the Southwest. I am working on getting some fresh hatch chillies mailed to me I miss them so much. Here's an interesting thing to ponder scientist say that green chillies enact the same endorphins in your brain as cocain and you can actually feel withdrawal symptoms after extended periods without them

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Pics or didn't happen

top topics

join