It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Growth of Atheism and What it Means for Our Future

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
*sighs* Why must so many view the world in terms of "us and them" "if THEY were like me the world would be great" and other such silliness. Religion or it's lack is not the problem. Remove religion and there would still be homophobia, there would still be discrimination of all sorts and blah blah blah. People are people.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
*sighs* Why must so many view the world in terms of "us and them" "if THEY were like me the world would be great" and other such silliness. Religion or it's lack is not the problem. Remove religion and there would still be homophobia, there would still be discrimination of all sorts and blah blah blah. People are people.

Right, but homophobia and discrimination doesnt contradict anything. It just proves more that we are all evolved organisms, and not gods creations. Why would god even create "gay" if its against some religions. Why are there even more than one religion if god created us and the earth? Why would god let people in africa starve, why would he even put people there? Why wouldnt he just make food for those people and homes? If he created us and this world, he should be able to make a house and some food? Yea? I could go on all day

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have to agree in that I think humans could advance and do better without religious beliefs coloring our perceptions and expectations. Nations would have to find legitimate reasons to war with one another and persecute people they disagree with...And there will ALWAYS be a "reason".

As far as sinking into the worship of evil, I don't fear that at all. You can't "accidentally" empower "evil forces" or Satan or whatever....The power comes from the intention to worship and thereby give power to that being or spirit, so without the intention, no power is given.

I was raised with some pretty strong Christian beliefs, and I have trouble letting go of my last thread to the notion of God...However I cannot ignore the horrible things that are done in his name and cling to that last bit mostly in fear of what will happen if I truly turn my back on that forever. But I am VERY close to doing so, even knowing how my family would feel about that.

I think we live in a world in which, if we are to succeed, we need to know the truth of how all things REALLY, ACTUALLY work...Things that are fact based, observable and proven...Not how we want them to be or how they SHOULD be, but how they ARE. Religion does not allow for that...All things are attributable to an invisible power according to faith...To a God who never intervenes nor presents any proof that he even exists, yet expects total blind obedience and his rules are written in a book known to have been edited and tampered with by uncountable men with unknowable agendas of their own.

Until we can be allowed to govern ourselves with knowledge and facts, we will continue to be led down a path to self destruction because we think that God will swoop in at the last second and save us from ourselves. That isn't going to happen and it isn't any legitimate way for humankind to live and progress.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kp1987

Doesn't matter how many irrational, illogical arguments you pile on because you feel it strengthens your position. But, feel free. I'll spend my time searching for my answers. Not building altars in my mind to the ones I currently have.
But, one small example. The existance of gays are proof against a god? LoL! "Religion" is mankind's creation a reflection of things within him not "god" if it exists.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

reply to post by kp1987

Doesn't matter how many irrational, illogical arguments you pile on because you feel it strengthens your position. But, feel free. I'll spend my time searching for my answers. Not building altars in my mind to the ones I currently have.
But, one small example. The existance of gays are proof against a god? LoL! "Religion" is mankind's creation a reflection of things within him not "god" if it exists.

That were just a few very simple questions, nothing irrational there. It would be irrational to think "god" could create this entire earth in 7 days, but couldnt fix a few problems here and there. Thats like a car dealership spitting out cars, but cant fix a simple defect. And I said why would he create gays if its against his own religion? Surely he could prevent people from being gay if he could create earth and everything in it in 7 days. You be rational you fool.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
What future ?
The one that's full of radiation and clones?

The one where the little green guys come down and save s from ourselves? As long as we agree to being probed ? Really, what future ? Maybe it's the one where we all party together in the internment camps?
Divide and distract. Ya, religion sure is a big problem. Especially those Christians. Darn guys.

edit on 12-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Maybe in the west, maybe. Go look at China Christianity is now 80 millionish and growing fast India is also seeing a huge rise in Christianity. The middle east is also starting to see a revival, now we just need to stop bombing the crap out of them.

America is going the way of Europe. If you want to see America in 20 years look at Europe now.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I would suspect this is true, these are the days when the numbers of the fallen should rise; but children are not really born atheist in the sense of an "atheist" that does not believe in GOD the Almighty. They are "without religion" yes, but they are not without Spirit.

An Atheist is without Spirit and so sees everything outside of this physical realm as non-existent to the workings of their Soul, if they even believe they have one. Instead there is nothingless!

With a Child, they see things beyond any mortal Adult can see, they participate in the Great and Abundant Awe that surrounds them. They are imaginative and creative, they are simply Spirit; sometimes the flame goes out as they mature and sometimes it stays lit throughout their lives. If we are lucky we get to see the flame of Spirit ingite within us once again, filling us with Love, Faith, Abundance, and Joy at the prospects of GOD.

As for Atheists "on the rise", yes, I do believe this is true as it was written in regards to "The End"!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Oh! Boy! Here we go again. Take an Athiest for example.. He/She has faith that there is no Creator. Now take a Theist for example..He/She has faith that there is a Creator. How are these two "Clowns" any different? They both believe in something they cant prove. Us Agnostics who are totally truthfull with ourselves, are once again stuck in the middle of IDIOTS. Just like the Left Vs Right crap that is pulled on the majority(By a minority) of us moderate's.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomadmonkey

Agnostics
Isn't that the same as hang'in out on an electric fence til somebody throws the juice ?
It 's a joke I'm kidding. But seriously ? You think that's correct path?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

reply to post by kp1987

I 2nd this. Man should be held accountable for the way religion (Christianity specifically) has panned out.

At the moment, it feels like the world is in a very precarious situation to spirituality & religion...The Albert Pike post is rather alarming too, seeing as it is pretty much describing what's going on at the moment (pure co-incidence?)

"Religion is more than life. Remember that his own religion is the truest to every man even if it stands low in the scales of philosophical comparison." - Mahatma Gandhi.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It is rational and sane to say "I dont know" when confronted with something unknown/unprovable.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Agreed !

If it weren't for the fact that God calls us by faith! I imagine I would be on the fence with you.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Here's my 0.2 Ameros...

1) Christianity isn't the "big guy" on the block any more.
2) Christianity has changed tremendously over the past 100 years.
3) Due to a high immigration count world over, more dominant religions are coming into place.

So let's say that you do "win" over the Christians, what about the other more dominant religions who act like Christians in the 1100th century? (I'm hinting to Islam BTW.) Christianity is on the decline, Islam and other religions are on the up rise.

But what's the use of getting rid of Christianity and knocking that a hundred times over again when you're just letting another religion which is worse take it's place? What kind of win is that?

It seems like so many Atheists world over have a personal vendetta against Christianity for some reason and turn a blind eye to more threatening beliefs. Why?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Also. It would be better hang'in out on an electric fence, and "Knowing that electricity is real and hurts like hell if if i touch it when it's on" Then sitting there stupid, and not even knowing anything about electricity.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well I am glad he has you phone number, thats cool

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dissent

well im not sure.

So, by your estimation, because I'm an atheist, I'm going to be involved in "demon, devil, satan worship" and "produce evil", but you can't tell me why?

They wouldn't knowingly be bowing down and praising, obviously, but they would maybe perform acts that evil spirits would feed on, maybe.

I'm not sure how I'm going to be "perform[ing] acts that evil spirits would feed on", especially when I lack belief in those evil spirits. Is this sort of behavior restricted to atheists, or can people who believe in God end up feeding the evil spirits as well?

When a person is possessed by a demon, i don't think they'd be wholly aware of it at first. thati s all if there demons, and they have some plan to overthrow god and all who are good. i really don't know, im still trying to find that answer.

So atheists are possessed by demons? Demons that they lack belief in? And they're all evil? But you still don't know why?

I feel like most people, who would just openly embrace atheism when the bandwagon comes around, would be people with little to no morals, they might be selfish, looking for a 1-up, looking for a group to be socially accepted in. I feel like any break-out of atheism in a large group would be no more no less than a cult, with a leader of course. A leader who was probably strategically put there.

Given that, as you yourself pointed out, atheism is "fringe", then can you explain to me how there would even be an atheism "bandwagon"? And you still haven't explained how you're going from a lack of belief in gods to being someone "with little to no morals", "selfish", and "looking for a 1-up". Are you asserting that all morality extends from belief in gods and that, therefore, all atheists must be amoral? And can you point out some of these "cult leaders" of atheism?

I'm just talking out of my ass, but this what my heart tells me.

You're at least half right with this statement. This is the most amazing bit of bigotry and ad hominem attack I've seen 'round these parts in a while.

I used to consider myself an atheist, but then i realized it makes no sense. Now i think i'm against it.
But I am by no means religious in the conventional way, nor do i worship a god or any other entity.

So you believe that gods exist, but you just don't worship them? I'd argue that position is more in line with LaVeyan Satanism than anything atheists are up to.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Oh! Boy! Here we go again. Take an Athiest for example.. He/She has faith that there is no Creator. Now take a Theist for example. He/She has faith that there is a Creator. How are these two "Clowns" any different? They both believe in something they cant prove.

Not exactly. Atheists have a lack of belief in gods, not a belief that there are no gods. It's a subtle difference but an important one.

Us Agnostics who are totally truthfull with ourselves, are once again stuck in the middle of IDIOTS. Just like the Left Vs Right crap that is pulled on the majority(By a minority) of us moderate's.

Agnosticism and atheism aren't mutually exclusive. Quick summary of positions:
Gnostic theist = 100% certain of the existence of god(s).
Gnostic atheist = 100% certain of the lack of existence of god(s).
Agnostic theist = believes in god(s), but doesn't claim to know with 100% certainty.
Agnostic atheist = lacks a belief in god(s), but doesn't claim to know with 100% certainty.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Gnostic atheist = 100% certain of the lack of existence of god(s).

If this is true why do Atheists always say I don't believe in God? Not, I am 100% certain that I lack a belief in God?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

If this is true why do Atheists always say I don't believe in God? Not, I am 100% certain that I lack a belief in God?

You'd have to ask a gnostic atheist that question. As an agnostic atheist, I don't think I've ever said "I don't believe in gods"; if I have, it was an imprecise use of language on my part.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join