It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Growth of Atheism and What it Means for Our Future

page: 12
61
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LafingWithTears
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776
 


"therefore there really could be a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father that can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree... "

Ha Ha Well said millions year old lightning-mud-monkey-man (see I can do that also)


Of course you can...but the difference is that we have no objective evidence for a Jewish Zombie, but so much evidence for the FACT that we have a common ancestor with monkeys, that it's classified as a scientific theory, just like gravity.

As for abiogenesis (and entirely different thing to evolution), we just don't have the answer yet...and with "we", I mean all humans. Those claiming god did it just because of a gap in knowledge are using the old "god of the gaps" argument. In the past, people claimed plagues were a sign of god, they were wrong. They did the same with meteorites, floods, and everything else they couldn't explain at the time...and one by one science was able to explain it naturally, without the intervention of magic. The "god did it" track record is abysmal




posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555
 
I did change that to Ministry of Love right after I posted. That's where Hell is - Room 101. See, you could offer incentive. People who are going to form rings and secret societies that deceive and abuse, are in no way worried about a God. They will use the concept of God to control others, but they don't believe in it. You don't get to be in such a high position without being intelligent. Those of who do care feel we are hindered by our fellow persecuted who drink the Kool Aid. We need everyone of us with a sound mind and in unison if we are ever going to defeat the selfish elite who have us at their mercy.
edit on 13-6-2011 by gentledissident because: it's chaotic around here



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, I'm one of those people that was raised Christian then developed more of an Atheist perspective later in life.

However, I currently practice Christianity. It's not that my particular views have changed. It's that my lifestyle has. Frankly, I don't like how most Atheists (that I know) live. I don't like how they raise their kids or spend their time.

Until Atheism develops more of a family-friendly or community-focused perspective you can bet that I'll be raising my children as Christians as well. What they choose to believe later in life is up to them.

For me, it's about being able to depend on a group of people if I need them. It's about spending time with my family, not with my television. It's about valuing things like morales and friendships rather than money or the latest Android phone.

I'm sure there are Atheist groups out there that have formed a community of people that they know they can depend on if something awful happens to their family. Or even if they need a meal brought over to their house because you just had a baby and don't really need the chore of making dinner that night. I'm sure they're out there ... I've just never met them.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by polit
There is one thing I know. Most of the atheists/ people who identify as such are some of the most condescending, obnoxious and arrogant people when it comes to dealing with the "poor deluded deists." It seems like they think the only way they can "beat" the Christians is by jumping even further down people's throats.

Just the other day I was chilling on the beach with a bunch of friends and these two little girls came up, like under 10 years old. They asked if any of our group wanted a free bible, one of the religious girls said yes, but some of the others heard what was going on and started getting all angry and talking some seriously rude b/s. I was offended on the religious people's behalf.


Why are parents sending -10 year old girls out on a beach to push their religious belief? That is all kinds of wrong.

I was standing on the corner next to a church. Now mind you I'm definitely senior. A bunch of teenagers were standing around saying "F" this and "F" that - - then they walked into the church.

Bad and rude behavior is bad and rude behavior - - - it is not "Atheist" behavior.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Newborns have no idea about nakedness, but they are still born naked.
It's not until they are clothed that they become 'not naked'. And it's not until they are taught about "God" that they become theists. Before that, they do not believe in 'God', and are, BY DEFINITION, atheist.


I can see why atheists like that feel-good myth. But newborns are neither atheists nor theists. They transcend that pair of opposites.


edit on 13-6-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
I'm sure there are Atheist groups out there that have formed a community of people that they know they can depend on if something awful happens to their family. Or even if they need a meal brought over to their house because you just had a baby and don't really need the chore of making dinner that night. I'm sure they're out there ... I've just never met them.
We're kind of outnumbered and far and few between. That puts us at a disadvantage. BTW, I'm not materialistic, unless you count all the board games I bought to play with my family. We also enjoy amusement parks. We're all artists. I'm not sure what the religious think we do with our time that is so strange.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You could also join a community center or put your kids in the boy/girl scouts take advantage of volunteer opportunities the options are endless as to where you and your family could fin community outside of the church. It just depends on how hard you look.


 
Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com
 



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014
 


So why not have faith in something that doesn't require hurting others, bigotry and blindly following something that has so many contradictions with facts and itself? Christianity is not the only faith one can have. I am an atheist, I would have faith that if I put a tetherball up to my face that if I let it go it would just touch the hairs on my nose as it is a fact that it would. I could create a religion that doesn't require hurting others, bigotry and blindly following something that has so many contradictions with facts and itself and still be happy. Or more accurately, there is a wide selections of other religions that one could choose.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Student X I can see why atheists like that feel-good myth. But newborns are neither atheists nor theists. They transcend that pair of opposites.
I'm sure you enjoy that feel good thought, but a God is like a lunchbox. You get sold one later on.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Non-religious charities and service organizations

Three of the four greatest American philanthropists have been atheist/agnostic:
Bill Gates & Warren Buffett (also two of the world's wealtheist men)
Andrew Carnegie


In alphabetical order

Accion micro-lending
Action Aid
Afghan Children's Fund National Geographic fund to educate Afghan children
Alternative Gifts International
American Civil Liberties Union
American Humanists
American Lung Association
American Red Cross
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Americares Delivering medicines, medical supplies and aid to people in crisis around the world.
Amnesty International
Atheist Centre of India runs 3 charities: disaster relief, women's empowerment, criminal tribes
Atheist Volunteers
Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation working to find a cure for spinal cord injuries. It is ironically satisfying that this goal is very close to that of "healing amputees", yet Christopher Reeve was an atheist.

Coalition to stop the use of child soldiers
Direct Relief International
Doctors Without Borders



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Doublemint
 





Religious people get in the way of science becuase science goes to the government to get money and the government is there to represent all people the religious and the scientific people. Solution to this find some one better to finance you.


I hope you realize the government isn't the main donor of scientific projects...in fact, it's a TINY minority.

And some religious people are standing in the way of progress by preventing the largely PRIVATELY funded projects to continue. To give you an example, stem cell research!! Just looking at the first results indicates that this would save MILLIONS of lives...but guess who's standing in the way of saving those lives





Why, is evolution a theory, because its untestable if they could test evolution in a lab it would become more than a theory.


You're wrong again. A scientific theory has to be testable by its very definition...which means the theory has been tested. In fact, it's been tested hundreds of times. Many of the meds you're using were developed party because of our understanding of evolution...think about that next time you take antibiotics




Then why are letting them stop you go around them if someone is standing in your way walk around. Is science that weak it just lets people stand in the way?

www.britannica.com... look at this

So did the evolve or devolove a species to make antibotics?



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
Well, I'm one of those people that was raised Christian then developed more of an Atheist perspective later in life.

However, I currently practice Christianity. It's not that my particular views have changed. It's that my lifestyle has. Frankly, I don't like how most Atheists (that I know) live. I don't like how they raise their kids or spend their time.

Until Atheism develops more of a family-friendly or community-focused perspective you can bet that I'll be raising my children as Christians as well. What they choose to believe later in life is up to them.

For me, it's about being able to depend on a group of people if I need them. It's about spending time with my family, not with my television. It's about valuing things like morales and friendships rather than money or the latest Android phone.

I'm sure there are Atheist groups out there that have formed a community of people that they know they can depend on if something awful happens to their family. Or even if they need a meal brought over to their house because you just had a baby and don't really need the chore of making dinner that night. I'm sure they're out there ... I've just never met them.


Well put. This was what I was trying to get across and I think it is a very honest assessment that others try to deny because they don't want anything that others may deem bad to be affiliated with them when they are arguing about getting rid of all religions (ESPECIALLY christianity as the OP put it). Similar to you I was born christian went atheist but unlike you I began to believe in God again FWIW.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Ryanp5555 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Student X
I can see why atheists like that feel-good myth. But newborns are neither atheists nor theists. They transcend that pair of opposites.


edit on 13-6-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)


This is only proving you have no clue what an atheist is.

An atheist is simply one whom has no belief in a god. do you believe infants pop out of the womb believing in a deity?
no...they don't...they are a blank slate.
if they remain without belief in a deity, then they remain atheist...if they are sold a deity, they are a theist.

the naked v not naked is a perfect way of explaining it...they don't trancend clothes when they are born...they are naked and they are atheist.
Parents dress the child, making them not naked, then condition their child to gods and make them not atheists...thats it...no trancending, no middle of the road...it either is or is not...and in the case of a baby, it is not a belief initially.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


Why do posts like this get glossed over as if the info wasn't even considered..



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555

Well put. This was what I was trying to get across and I think it is a very honest assessment that others try to deny because they don't want anything that others may deem bad to be affiliated with them when they are arguing about getting rid of all religions (ESPECIALLY christianity as the OP put it). Similar to you I was born christian went atheist but unlike you I began to believe in God again FWIW.


Why? Is there a reason you stopped believing in God?

What made you start believing again?



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Atheism taken to it's logical conclusion is nihilism. If there is no God, no universal spirit, or individual soul then there is no point, no plot, and no reason. Nietzche was right in his prophecy that in the 20th century nihilism would rule, especially the will to power. What we saw with the rise of atheism, moral relativism, and theism turning to deism among the 'faithful' was indeed a horribly violent, bigoted, and dynamic century. Christianity is crumbling, because it became a cultural thing that no one bothered to research or understand and it became a skin deep agnostic theism for most people (myself included).

In response to this trend came the 'reincarnation' of the romantic movement; the search for spirituality wherever it could be found whether in drugs, new age occult practices, or the exotic rediscovered religions of Asia (Taoism, Mahayana Buddhism, and Hinduism). Yep, that was the vitalist hippy movement and we all know what happened to that idealism, it was crushed and they either bought their way back into society (yuppies) or continued down the path of nihilism to it's purest form: the nihilism of destruction (the weathermen). While, I believe the vitalist hippies were wrong in their approach, they brought the nihilist machine to a screeching halt and even backed it up somewhat with their message of peace and love. Moral relativists perhaps, but they tied down the will to power for a time.

What most people don't realize is that as bad as the world seems, it was a lot worse before the return of the romantics and the nihilism was much less subtle as it butchered its way across the world. Now, the media is working on a subtle campaign of moral relativism that leads into the facet of materialism, and if they can make you angry enough; the nihilism that wants to watch the world burn. It is returning, you just have to watch for the cycles to pinpoint the current zeitgeist.

www.columbia.edu...

There is an opt out and that is the true religion whose etymology in Latin means "to bind" or reconnect with God. This is to have a purpose and this is to have life; to reject the world that is passing away. There has been an upsurge in people finding this, though you can't find it in the statistics. For every thousand cultural Christians who walk out for good after a lame sermon, 100 fall on the cornerstone and "wake up". Their eyes are opened (as in they actually perceive rather than bury their heads in the sand) and things fall into perspective. I cannot stress enough the importance of understanding Christianity. Most people will bury their heads in the sand like the fundamentalists who make their faith petulently blind and violently dumb (who the hell has ever been converted by jesus-is-savior.com?). Others water down their faith so they never have to face the hard things, who deny the virgin birth, the resurrection, and anything that is hard to defend or doesn't appeal to them; theirs is a Christianity without a cross and therefor without salvation. True faith is to take up your cross and follow Christ. It is hard and the world will hate you (don't revel in this by antagonizing people like vicious fundies; the hate they acquire is well earned), but your eyes will be opened and only then can you bear the light that leads people out of this world.

Peace upon you all and remember there is a point.
edit on 13-6-2011 by kallisti36 because: weathermen*



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic
 



Newborns have no idea about nakedness, but they are still born naked. It's not until they are clothed that they become 'not naked'. And it's not until they are taught about "God" that they become theists. Before that, they do not believe in 'God', and are, BY DEFINITION, atheist.

according to some "philosophies" .....newborns are born only knowing God ...... and once they are taught "things" it is then that they forget that experience.

So who is right? Are they born not knowing anything, or are they born knowing God?



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Non-religious charities and service organizations

Three of the four greatest American philanthropists have been atheist/agnostic:
Bill Gates & Warren Buffett (also two of the world's wealtheist men)
Andrew Carnegie


In alphabetical order

Accion micro-lending
Action Aid
Afghan Children's Fund National Geographic fund to educate Afghan children
Alternative Gifts International
American Civil Liberties Union
American Humanists
American Lung Association
American Red Cross
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Americares Delivering medicines, medical supplies and aid to people in crisis around the world.
Amnesty International
Atheist Centre of India runs 3 charities: disaster relief, women's empowerment, criminal tribes
Atheist Volunteers
Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation working to find a cure for spinal cord injuries. It is ironically satisfying that this goal is very close to that of "healing amputees", yet Christopher Reeve was an atheist.

Coalition to stop the use of child soldiers
Direct Relief International
Doctors Without Borders



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee
 



YES! And I'm annoyed and tired of people telling me I don't because I am now Atheist.

Its impossible to explore the esoteric core and really experience the truths there, and come away and Atheist. 100% impossible.

I would therefor wager a years salary .....that on your behalf it was merely surface level window shopping that lead to a final assumption of atheism.

Every time I explore this, its always the case.



posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Let me try to break it down in two things:

The good: No challenge.

The Bad: No Challenge!

No religion means no challenge. We can choose if we want a challenge.

Oh and plus I think that event has already happened say 100 time or over.
edit on 13-6-2011 by FreedomCommander because: incomplete



new topics

top topics



 
61
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join