It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Growth of Atheism and What it Means for Our Future

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If you ever get into a religious conversation with an atheist, at one point the person almost always says "I was raised Christian..." How come you never hear a person say "I was born an atheist..."? This simple notion is evidence that the population of atheists is growing -- religious people are changing their minds!

In America, studies showed that 8% of people were atheist/agnostic/nonreligious in 1990 source That means that the non-faithful population has skyrocketed to almost double in 18 years!

But, why? In my opinion, it has a lot to do with the less restraint that Christianity has on people nowadays (in America, at least). It's now less taboo to doubt God, compared to 60 years ago where if your thoughts even wondered you'd be damned to Hell.If you think back to the pre-1950s, many people considered it taboo to even not attend church every Sunday, to support homosexuality, to have an abortion or even use birth control, etc. The Christian Church had a much stronger hold on us back then. And now that people have the power to think freely, they may realize that they've put their faith in something that they now realize isn't so legitimate.

Some people may see the growth in nonreligious people as a bad thing, weather it's for the sake of their religion or that they just don't like atheists. But I see this as a good thing. I'm an atheist, and I'm gonna admit, I think religion is holding us back from advancing, scientifically and spiritually.

An atheist population can become more scientifically advanced, mostly because religious activists won't get in the way. For example, the only reason evolution is a theory and not a law is because there are too many creationists in the equation. Face it, there's too much evidence and nothing to disprove evolution. Aside from evolution, there would be so much more scientific opportunities for the future, such as stem cell research, better birth control, origins of life on earth, searching for life on other planets, origins of the universe, and so much more. All because the Bible isn't stopping us anymore.

Without religion (Christianity in particular), we could have a better society overall. No longer would gays, women, blacks, and anyone else looked down on in some religions be considered lesser citizens. Kids wouldn't be bullied for their beliefs. It's a fact that, if there was no religion, most wars wouldn't have been fought. Some say 90% of wars are started because of religion, some say only 15%, but there is no way to tell really.

There's no debating that America is becoming less and less religious. Do you think this is good or bad? What would you say is up for the future?

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I agree with you.

I think the future becomes brighter the more we embrace atheism. I think the main influence it will have will be this... Of all the negative damaging, hurtful and destructive things we do to ourselves, our planet, and each other, we will no longer be able to blame supernatural forces and causes. Evil will no longer be the source of Satan, Djinns, evil spirits or whatever else, we will only have ourselves to blame. With this recognition, i would hope that people would look at the world, look at their children, and really understand and grasp the concept that we are the makers of our reality and planet, and hopefully that would create some positive change.

Also, to those people who are good religious human beings, whose faith moves them to become better people... maybe instead of talking to themselves and hoping for hope, they can implement some real positive change. People helping people, it would be wonderful.

Also, religion has completely bastardized spirituality. We need more spirituality, but unfortunately, its now been linked to religion. I would like to see people embracing this experience called life, and try to make it better for all living things.

I think atheism would defiantly help shape a more positive future.
edit on 12-6-2011 by ztruthseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

I agree completely, even though I don't consider myself to be an atheist. I have to admit that that everything is possible, therefore there really could be a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father that can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree... It really is possible, just HIGHLY unlikely and if it were true, it would be the most depressing thing in the world.
In all seriousness though, I think that an end to the Abrahamic traditions would do a lot more than decrease war and hatred between people of differing ways of worshiping The Desert God. I think that the fundamental problem, and greatest destructive idea in Christianity and the other middle eastern wacko religions is the doctrine that we are all guilty of some horrible sin from the moment of birth. I'm sure that all kinds of psychological problems arise from the idea that religion gives children that they are worthless and despicable in God's eyes, and they can never personally do anything about it. I would love to see this brainwashing prevented from tarnishing the minds of future generations, and see anyone who teaches their children this filth seek immediate therapy.

Edit to add: Can we keep Buddhism though? I really can't find anything wrong with those guys, except their horrible music and funny clothes.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd
If you ever get into a religious conversation with an atheist, at one point the person almost always says "I was raised Christian..." How come you never hear a person say "I was born an atheist..."? This simple notion is evidence that the population of atheists is growing -- religious people are changing their minds!

I disagree. I dont believe that proves atheism is on the rise, it just proves christianity is dying. Some turn to atheism, some choose sane alternatives that fit with their conscience and worldviews.

To me it's not either you are a christian or you are an atheist. I just no longer believe in the nutty psychopathic jew tribal god. It's a big universe so who knows what's out there.

Without religion (Christianity in particular), we could have a better society overall.

That would work in the US. But there is still islam and judaism to contend with.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

An atheist population can become more scientifically advanced, mostly because religious activists won't get in the way. For example, the only reason evolution is a theory and not a law is because there are too many creationists in the equation. Face it, there's too much evidence and nothing to disprove evolution. Aside from evolution, there would be so much more scientific opportunities for the future, such as stem cell research, better birth control, origins of life on earth, searching for life on other planets, origins of the universe, and so much more. All because the Bible isn't stopping us anymore.

There's no debating that America is becoming less and less religious. Do you think this is good or bad? What would you say is up for the future?

I was born into a Christian family and later forewent any ties to religion. I wouldn't label myself an atheist though.

Personally, I think that adherence to Christianity and its practises, warp the minds of those who use faith as a crutch when logic doesn't agree with biblical teachings.

Noah's ark is a prime example. Logic defies the possibility that the ark could have carried the multitude of animals found on our planet...let alone the huge food requirement they would need to sustain them.

It certainly stands to reason that humankind would be more advanced if religion wasn't on the scene, but in the same breath....Maybe the concept of religion or more importantly, the concept of a creator is a factor in the evolution of our species. The ability to reason that there is more to our universe than just a need to eat and procreate may have been what drove our desire to make our lives more than just a fight for survival.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm afraid if we lose our faith we will lose our future...

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
People are starting to wake up and realize that their religion is just a bunch of myths, legends, folklore, and tall-tales from earlier beliefs that were based completely around FICTION.

The very foundation of the big three religions (Judaism, Christianity, & Islam) supports NOTHING concrete whatsoever when one researches it. In fact, what it reveals is that folks who believe in this nonsense are among the most ignorant around.

Ever wonder why the most highly religious states in the U.S. are in FACT the least educated states in the country?

Stubbornness, laziness, fear, and lack of education = religious believing folks.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
First of all everyone is born an atheist. Nobody is born with an inherit knowledge of God that is something that is learned. Also there is a difference between what you are born with and how you are raised. Not sure why you are comparing these two.

Secondly I know many many scientists in various fields and not one of them is affected in any way by religion. Some are believers and some are not but they diligently do their research and experiments without the slightest regards about religion.

To say that an atheist world would be much further advanced is wrong.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

There's no debating that America is becoming less and less religious.

But more spiritual.

Do you think this is good or bad?

Its good and bad.

What would you say is up for the future?

The noosphere aka the Divine Milieu.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This would be interesting if atheism were on the rise. I feel like it would line right up with Albert Pike's "prophecy". Written, supposedly, in 1871. This man was also a highest degree Mason. He also had affiliation with the KKK i believe. And of course, he was big into politics, more so globally than just in the US.

Pike's Amazing Prediction

"The Third World War must be fomented by taking advantage of the differences caused by the "agentur" of the "Illuminati" between the political Zionists and the leaders of Islamic World. The war must be conducted in such a way that Islam (the Moslem Arabic World) and political Zionism (the State of Israel) mutually destroy each other. Meanwhile the other nations, once more divided on this issue will be constrained to fight to the point of complete physical, moral, spiritual and economical exhaustionWe shall unleash the Nihilists and the atheists, and we shall provoke a formidable social cataclysm which in all its horror will show clearly to the nations the effect of absolute atheism, origin of savagery and of the most bloody turmoil.

I fear atheism, not because i believe there is some great spirit, because its the fringe, where the next step is some kind demon, devil, satan worship, whether you know you are or not. I think an atheist would produce evil, something this world needs reduced.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Dissent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Does this mean we can finally advance forward as a Intergalactic race?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Thank god for this topic! Haha, just kidding, I'm an atheist. I too was raised Christian, until one day I realize no matter how much I prayed nothing would happen. Then began my developing years, and I became more and more firm in my beliefs that there must be no god. When I reached adulthood I read the bible twice, as well as books about the history of the origins of the bible, and have come to a firm belief that there is no god. And I'm not scared of death, I don't push my beliefs onto others, and I am still a "good person." I pay my bills, take care of my mother and my grandparents, I don't break any laws, don't even speed.

Still, I would be delighted to see religion perish, I feel it is a plague upon society that has held us back and instigated hate and corruption.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dissent

I fear atheism, not because i believe there is some great spirit, because its the fringe, where the next step is some kind demon, devil, satan worship, whether you know you are or not. I think an atheist would produce evil, some this world needs reduced.

Can you explain the steps in the logic that atheism will ultimately lead to "demon, devil, satan worship" and "produce evil", especially given that it's a lack of belief in any deity?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Nice post.

I'd like to point out one thing: We're all born atheists. Babies have no concept of religion. We're also born a-bottlists as we're also lacking a concept of bottles. I have, however, heard of people who grew up atheists and even multigenerational atheists.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

And why is that? I'd just like an explanation of how faith is positive and linked inextricably to our 'future', whatever you mean by that.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm athiest because I was raised Christian. church, prayers, the works, it was HELL ironically.
I knew the BS in their stories from a very young age. They couldn't scare me into it.
too many contradictions.
everyone else always found a way to try and force me into believing it.
edit on 12-6-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

well im not sure. They wouldn't knowingly be bowing down and praising, obviously, but they would maybe perform acts that evil spirits would feed on, maybe. When a person is possessed by a demon, i don't think they'd be wholly aware of it at first. thati s all if there demons, and they have some plan to overthrow god and all who are good. i really don't know, im still trying to find that answer.

I feel like most people, who would just openly embrace atheism when the bandwagon comes around, would be people with little to no morals, they might be selfish, looking for a 1-up, looking for a group to be socially accepted in. I feel like any break-out of atheism in a large group would be no more no less than a cult, with a leader of course. A leader who was probably strategically put there.

I'm just talking out of my ass, but this what my heart tells me.

I used to consider myself an atheist, but then i realized it makes no sense. Now i think i'm against it.
But I am by no means religious in the conventional way, nor do i worship a god or any other entity.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Well, I didnt read the whole post, but the sooner everyone realizes the truth, The sooner we as a species will be able to advance in life. I feel Religion is holding alot of things back. In my opinion religion is the reason goverment is hiding ALOT of things. There are so many simple minded people, that they couldnt handle the truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Nikola014

And why is that? I'd just like an explanation of how faith is positive and linked inextricably to our 'future', whatever you mean by that.

Try to imagine a man without faith.
A man without faith it not concern for the future.How much people in difficult moments, turns to faith? Well I can tell you a lot.Because faith gives us one extra strength to fight and it's help us i the difficult moments.That's why i believe if the man lose his faith,he lost his future.
The point is,faith give us hope for better tomorrow and i strongly believe faith is one of the most important thing in human life.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think it's definitely a good thing that dogmatic religion is decreasing in influence over society. I don't have a problem with people who wish to follow their own personal beliefs if they keep it to themselves and don't try to push it on to others. The decline in religious sentiment reinforces secular governance, which is always how it should be. In the Middle East, where many nations are not secular but religious in rule, conflict arises and people suffer from it.

Humanity has progressed beyond the need for religion to explain the universe. We have science now. That being said, I also believe in mutual respect. There are a lot of rabid atheists out there that are just as bad, if not worse, than religious preachers.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join