It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outbreak of Sink holes.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If somew of these r non connected to the recent rumblings/hums etc perhaps its more to do with man made issues

for example the Guatemala City is said to be caused by man

Human activity, not nature, was the likely cause of the gaping sinkhole that opened up in the streets of Guatemala City on Sunday, a geologist says.

A burst sewer pipe or storm drain probably hollowed out the underground cavity that allowed the chasm to form, according to Sam Bonis, a geologist at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, who is currently living in Guatemala City (map).

But the cavity formed in the first place because the city—and its underground infrastructure—were built in a region where the first few hundred meters of ground are mostly made up of a material called pumice fill, deposited during past volcanic eruptions.

"Lots of times, volcanic pumice originates as a flow [of loose, gravel-like particles], and because of the heat and the weight, it becomes welded into solid rock," Bonis said.

"In Guatemala City [the pumice is] unconsolidated, it's loose," he said. "It hasn't been hardened into a rock yet, so it's easily eroded, especially by swift running water."

source - news.nationalgeographic.com...

also an intresting one -

Source

In urban settings in particular, sinkholes may owe their development to human activity as much as anything else. In some cases, sinkholes appear because of the combination of industrial activity or development, soft limestone bedrock and less than 200 feet (61 meters) of overburden [source: Southwest Florida Water Management District]. The following human actions can also cause sinkholes:

Drilling and vibrations
Mining
Changes in weight
Lots of foot or vehicle traffic
Heavy increase in water flow, formation of a pond or body of water, or broken pipes, among other things

Sinkholes may also form in places where water flows regularly, such as a storm drain, or when water sources are diverted or cut off, especially by pumping out groundwater. A broken pipe can contribute to sinkhole development by flooding and weakening the soil, but it can also provide an outlet for the dirt and rock that's supposed to surround pipes. After enough material falls into pipes and is transported away, the surrounding earth becomes destabilized, contributing to sinkhole formation, sewage or water spills, or other disasters.

Also factoring in the nature element aswell such as earthquakes, tremors, mudslides etc

Natural Sinkhole Formation

The main causes of sinkholes are weathering and erosion. This happens through the gradual dissolve and removal of water absorbing rock like limestone as percolating water from the Earth's surface moves through it. As the rock is removed, caves and open spaces develop underground. Once these open spaces become too large to support the weight of the land above them, the surface soil collapses, creating a sinkhole.

A sinkhole (images) is a natural hole that forms in the Earth's surface as a result of the chemical weathering of carbonate rocks like limestone, as well as salt beds or rocks that can be severely weathered as water runs through them. The type of landscape made up of these rocks is known as karst topography and is dominated by sinkholes, internal drainage and caves.

Source

Of course though there is the unexplained elements as well, not so easily explained away by science, nature and the man element. its still kinds freaky though

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Looks like there is a new one today but it seems relatively minor in comparison to some of the larger ones:

Sinkhol e has officials baffled

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Very freaky.

Is it just me or do they seem to appear more often underneath or close to concrete/asphalt?

Makes sense:

Sinkholes also form from human activity, such as the rare but still occasional collapse of abandoned mines in places like West Virginia, USA.

More commonly, sinkholes occur in urban areas due to water main breaks or sewer collapses when old pipes give way. They can also occur from the overpumping and extraction of groundwater and subsurface fluids.

A special type of sinkhole – formed by rainwater leaking through the pavement and carrying dirt into a ruptured sewer pipe.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sinkholes are a natural and common geologic feature in areas underlain rock types that are soluble in natural water. In Florida, the most common of these soluble rock types are limestone and dolomite. The term sinkhole is used for closed depressions in the land surface that are formed by surficial solution or by subsidence or collapse of surficial materials owing to the solution of near-surface limestone or other soluble rocks.

Read More

A case of a sinkhole:

Dozens of people were evacuated after flash flooding swept through the Illawarra, in New South Wales cutting major roads, crippling public transport and claiming the life of a man who was washed into a stormwater drain.
In Gosford, a giant sinkhole tore open a suburban street after heavy rain infiltrated a sewer main, causing it to fail.The hole first opened up on Sunday afternoon, gradually widening to become an 8m-wide, 6m-deep chasm by yesterday afternoon. SES controller Rolf Garda said it “was the most amazing thing I have seen”.

Read more

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski
reply to post by AshleyD

I've increasingly noticed a lot of these as well..

Can't say this is directly related, but remember the Michigan crack that happened a little while back, that is supposedly widening?

May have something to do with Nestle sucking up the local groundwater? There was a thread with this information in it awhile ago. I'll see if I can turn it up with a search.

www.justice4michigan.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

boncho, I don't care what anybody else says, you are da man. (or woman
)

that post pretty much solves it for me!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I had a dream a few months back warning of sink holes...it was really a dream of a series of sink holes opening up..I posted it here...somewhere.
I forget the details, but one was right at a school..the other showing highways with a truck swollowed up....

I set a Google alert at that time for sink holes. One did get a truck a few days later - haven't seen any w/a school tho. The dream was about Florida I think - can't be sure but it looked like someplace semi-tropical or tropical with palm trees and it was America - I thought at the time Florida.

Anyhow, since that time I get 2-4 alerts a day with new sink holes this place or that, but I've not seen any great big specific increase in frequency - they seem to be staying fairly level in frequency.

I just mention the dream b/c that's why I set the alert and have been watching it in the first place.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

lol, you idiot. that cracked me up

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by YoungMind92
reply to post by ronishia

Expression said it all for me.
edit on 12/6/2011 by YoungMind92 because: (no reason given)

Laugh my ass off, thank you

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Sink holes are part of the upcoming great catastrophes that have been seen by Falun Dafa practitioners during meditation.

Everything(buildings, ground, plants, animals, humans etc) that has alot of black karma will risk to "implode" in the future, this is just the initial phase of earth transforming itself and everything on it. And it will happen at an accelerating pace and it is only by being a good person one can stay safe.

The article about the upcoming disasters were published in april 2011 and it is available on ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

PS: A summary of the upcoming events:

1. The ground cracking: the ground sinks to form huge holes; buildings and people fall into the holes. This has happened in many countries and it has been reported in the news. But the current scale is only at the initial stage.

2. Mudslides: mud buries houses, villages and people. This has happened in many countries and it’s been reported in the news. It is also at the initial stage.

3. Oil spills: it has already happened, but it’s not the end. It is predestined. The specific numbers can’t be disclosed and meanwhile it’s not necessary to disclose it. The beings in the ocean suffered, and people suffered as well.

4. Loss of direction: the four directions, east, west, south, north become messed up. Those who worship towards the east wouldn’t know which direction was east. Human beings will be lost in the world. GPS won’t work either. The earth will slope steeply in the universe, which will cause the glaciers in North Pole and South Pole to slide and become misplaced. Then the glaciers will melt. The sea level will rise and gush into cities. The deserts will become warm and humid. The forests will become cold and dry. The animals and plants in tropical and subtropical zones will suffer. In other words, hot places will become cold while cold places will become hot; dry places will become humid while humid places will become dry. When that happens many animals and plants will be eliminated.

5. Earthquake and tsunamis: tsunamis as tall as a several hundred meters will beat the shores. With the water melted from the glaciers, it will be enough to inundate many cities. When that happens, a lot of people will be eliminated.

6. Horrible pestilence: human beings, animals and plants will all be under this huge catastrophe. Wherever the pestilence goes, buildings will collapse. Streets, bridges, flowers and trees, as long as their karma is big, will be swallowed by a type of power and turned into sandy soil.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Seems like China had a massive sink hole formed on a highway the other day:

www.jungleapocalypse.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is definitely interesting would be interested to see the soil conditions prior to collapse

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Very freaky.

Is it just me or do they seem to appear more often underneath or close to concrete/asphalt?

The smaller ones on roads tend to happen when water pipes burst and wash away the road base.

As for the big ones, I have no idea.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
China is the center of the world and has always been called the "Middle Kingdom". It seems like everything, good and bad, comes out of China during these end times.

Here is a pretty interesting sinkhole from China, growing as it seems:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

And another one:

www.weirdasianews.com...
edit on 22-6-2011 by Gaussq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I guess things are heating up in Australia too regarding massive sink holes:

networkedblogs.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
And another one swallowing a building:

www.wbir.com...

I quote the reporter(approximate): "this is the latest of the sinkholes that keep popping up across the city"

www.dailymotion.com...

www.floridarealestatelawattorney.com...

When will everyday people will notice these sinkholes around their own yard?

edit on 27-6-2011 by Gaussq because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-6-2011 by Gaussq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

A new one in Florida.

This one is kind of freaky...there is a good video here.

www.clickorlando.com...

A sinkhole opened in downtown Leesburg early Monday morning, bursting a water line and swallowing a portion of a commercial building and roadway, city officials said.

The sinkhole is estimated at 60 feet wide and 15 feet deep, but with added rainfall that size could change.

The sink hole first opened around 1 a.m. Monday along South East Street near East Main Street, just north of Lake Harris. The hole, a portion of which is filled with water, has also crumbled a portion of Crosby Street, which is located in the rear of the building.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

That one said the store owner was alerted by an alarm call for activity at the location. I have had many of those calls, but I can't imagine driving up at 1 a.m. and seeing the building and the road crumbling. That would be surreal. After being awoken from a dead sleep, and then driving up on that scene, you wouldn't be able to comprehend that it was real. It would take your mind awhile to realize what you were seeing.

I've never thought of it before, but it is very interesting to see these pics, when they are already identified. Imagine how odd it is to see them before anyone knows what is going on. That has to be very odd!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I was kind of suprised to see so much water! I just read up on this, apparently this
kind of sink hole has opened before in Florida.

"natural features"

thesinkhole.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Two more in South Dakota...

Large sinkholes form in South Dakota's Stanley County; one is 25,000 square feet, 10 feet deep

www.dailyjournal.net...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join