It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you skeptical of everything the media puts out?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Well I have to throw this in here.. Of course there's some truth in media.. And of course there's a lot BS and public opinion-swaying.. Remember what Aaron Russo quoted from Nick Rockefeller? "The Media can convince everybody!".

And here's Aaron Russo's statement...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I'm skeptical of the big news stories. I think it's a good thing to be skeptical of everything you read or see on the news. I'm from Canada and was a media broadcast student. I remember being amazed at how contrived a news story is, and how questions are asked in a way to elicit a particular answer to serve whatever slant the journalist is after. Also, in order to get a shot you usually have to tell the person to act naturally doing whatever it is they're doing a few times over in order to get the shot right. ei. Ok, you walk in through that door, stand there looking over your balcony, answer your phone pretend you're talking to somebody, etc. This is usually needed in order to get a good looking news story. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I do remember feeling slightly let down when I realized how contrived most of it all is.

I also think one should not trust what people are saying either, editors are pretty much god when it comes to stories, if you get the right snippets from a person you can edit what they say totally out of context. I'm betting this probably doesn't happen a lot in the small local news media stories, but I imagine it probably happens more so in major media outlets to serve particular agendas.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Nope.

There wasn't a tsunami caused by an earthquake of the coast of Japan.

There sure isn't a nuclear disaster currently in Japan.

There is no such person as M. Gaddafi and the people of Libya live in paradise.

A volcano did not erupt in Chile last week.

The US presidents surname certainly isn't Obama.

Every single person in the USA loves Sarah Palin.

/sarcasm

Manys a true word is said in jest/sarcasm.

There was a minor (induced) earthquake which caused little damage and loss of life.

There is no nuclear disaster now in japan.

Gaddafi exists but the people were content and well looked after.

Obama is most certainly not who/what he is presented to be.

Sarah Palin loves every single person in the USA

ps.. only the last point i am not so sure of.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Nope.

There wasn't a tsunami caused by an earthquake of the coast of Japan.

There sure isn't a nuclear disaster currently in Japan.

There is no such person as M. Gaddafi and the people of Libya live in paradise.

A volcano did not erupt in Chile last week.

The US presidents surname certainly isn't Obama.

Every single person in the USA loves Sarah Palin.

/sarcasm

Manys a true word is said in jest/sarcasm.

There was a minor (induced) earthquake which caused little damage and loss of life.

There is no nuclear disaster now in japan.

Gaddafi exists but the people were content and well looked after.

Obama is most certainly not who/what he is presented to be.

Sarah Palin loves every single person in the USA

ps.. only the last point i am not so sure of.

The mainstream news no longer gives most information, if it does it gives it long later.
We were hit by the small Tsunami in CA we waited a long time before any information was available on the TV news we had to look online for information.

Remnember the old newscaster/reporter/investigative reporters? they were proud to dig and prod until they uncovered the truth and they wanted to be the first to get the real stories out there to the public...there are none of those left and all we are left with is half truths, lies and intertainment news garbage.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Remember the old newscaster/reporter/investigative reporters? they were proud to dig and prod until they uncovered the truth and they wanted to be the first to get the real stories out there to the public...there are none of those left and all we are left with is half truths, lies and intertainment news garbage.

Don't be so sure. The media has always been an owned and controlled organism.
History as we know is complete bunk and the media have played their leading role in
selling to the public deceptions too numerous to list.
I have come to the stage now that, anything the media spews out, i reject,
and assume the opposite to be much closer to the truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Remember the old newscaster/reporter/investigative reporters? they were proud to dig and prod until they uncovered the truth and they wanted to be the first to get the real stories out there to the public...there are none of those left and all we are left with is half truths, lies and intertainment news garbage.

History as we know is complete bunk and the media have played their leading role in

That may be so but if you are old enough you will remember the many many breaking stories that news casters risked their lives and reputations for often embarrassing the government or powerful figures...that does not happen anymore.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I'll leave you with a video to watch:

edit on 12-6-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

I remember her!

It was 2:30 am and the bar was closing. We went home for a night cap.

Then I woke up the next day and I swear it was NOT the same girl!

Maybe I was the focus of a Reptilian/Human experiment?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
if there was no money to be had then these channels would be purely scientific in nature, giving us ideas and aid.
a channel devoted to space images, a channel devoted to the best up to date medical knowledge, 24/7.
it's because what they promote, death.. in laymans terms. everything from the food we eat to the ideas we possess determines how quickly we die and how much money they can make from us before then.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Are you skeptical of everything the media puts out?......

No, I believe it all....I believe it all ought to be written down on toilet paper and used to wipe our A$$'s and then flushed down the toilet where it belongs.......

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I do agree that the media acts in accordance to its own corporate agenda, and everything is biased. However, a critical mind can easily discern the raw facts from amidst the tangle of bias and advertising, etc. What is important is to teach people to be aware of the media's tricks and tactics. One can watch news broadcasts to remain updated on current events, but one must always remember to form their own opinions, and refuse to let the media hold sway over these opinions.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
When I watch television, I watch it knowing that what is broadcast could possibly be wrong; I don't take it as definitive knowledge. When I have a feeling that something they are reporting could be wrong, I relay the information by saying that "It was reported by - insert news channel -" that such and such happened.

I know that the television is not above lying. Only fools accept everything from the television without researching whatever they procure from it.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

It depends on the news.. Local news is for example often less scripted than much other mainstream news.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

That may be so but if you are old enough you will remember the many many breaking stories that news casters risked their lives and reputations for often embarrassing the government or powerful figures...that does not happen anymore.

Hello Mr. Lee.
I highly recommend giving the following Greg Hallett Link a good listen to and indeed the rest of the interviews on Jim Fetzer Podcasts. You will find a very differing history unfolds. Believe nothing that has ever been produced by any main stream media. They have been owned and controlled since their instigation.
To whet your whistle (courtesy of revisionist historian, New Zealander Greg Hallett in the link (who has survived seven assassination attempts because of his disclosures)) : Bill Clinton (mass murderer) was Winston Churchill's son and was groomed to be president from an early age, he being a close relation of the illegitimate monarch Queen Elizebeth 2 (who corruptly and heinously runs the world).
Happy listening my friend.
Here's to Rude Awakenings.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
Are you skeptical of everything the media puts out?......

No, I believe it all....I believe it all ought to be written down on toilet paper and used to wipe our A$$'s and then flushed down the toilet where it belongs.......

Haha. Very funny and so appropriate.
BTW, i assume you meant the US Dollar where you stated toilet paper, above.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I've had a thread on this before. No, I'm not skeptic of EVERYTHING they put out. Of COURSE it's all scripted, it's called NEWS, and is written for certain audiences.

However, this being said, not EVERYTHING is a conspiracy theory. Sometimes it's just news.

If you believe that EVERYTHING is a conspiracy theory, then you've simply changed your news of choice from CNN, Fox etc to Alex Jones, David Icke, and Jesse Ventura and the like.

You're still a sheeple who isn't awake, you've simply joined another flock of sheep.

Unless you do your OWN research, and find your OWN conspiracy theories, you'll always be part of a flock, one way or another.

Personally, I'd like to know why Prince William is in California for "undisclosed personal reasons" at the same time as the Bohemian Grove meeting in July this year. Expect to see Kate do some public events without William, with the press saying "we don't have a clue where he is".

If you simply subscribe to all the conspiracy theories that you see on conspiracy sites instead of following mainstream news, like I said, you're simply a member of a different flock.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Meh. I'm differing shades of skeptical with all information. Regardless where it's coming from......

And the "media" anymore are only out for ratings which directly translates into profits. Classic supply and demand. So they tailor the information for the niche they wish to serve.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

You are, in this humble wurm's opinion 100% correct sir or ma'am. Cheers!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm not just skeptical of everything the media puts out, I usually assume the opposite of whatever they are saying is true.

For example:

A) Media shows politician spewing political rhetoric.

--- You can be sure the opposite of all the major points he is trying to make, is true. He may include some facts but will spin them in a manipulative direction. Always. Unless it's Ron Paul of course.

B) Media shows some "crackpot fringe theories" and attacks them and attempts to debunk them.

---- You know there is something to these theories that the media is paid to lie about.

C) The media is talking about Britney Spears being bald.

---- You can be sure something very important is going on that they are trying their damnedest to distract from.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Yea. It just couldn't because we live in a shallow society in which a disproportionate part of the population cares more about what the latest most popular bubblehead is wearing than they do about the world around them. The media just couldn't be providing these people with what they want. It's not like the signs are everywhere.

@.@

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
The media just couldn't be providing these people with what they want.

Who, the stupidest demographic in the country? There is only one reason the media would find it profitable to perpetually appeal to the most ignorant demographics, and that's because their parent companies don't want honest reporting on important issues that aren't whether or not Britney Spears is bald.

And the outright lies and distortions the MSM has been caught in year after year are not just some "coincidence" either. Check out the documentary OutFoxxed, or just search YouTube for examples of media distortions. They're abundant. Bill O'Reilly alone has churned out hundreds of garbage erroneous single-handedly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join