It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

QLD Flood Hero Stripped Of Award, Due To Criminal Past.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Bob Riddler was a hero of the QLD floods earlier this year. Herlping many people in the community, at personal financial cost.

He was told by the Premier of Qld he would receive an award for his hard work during the floods. 4 days later he was told, you have a criminal past, so you will not get an award.

He was released from gaol last Sept 2010, after serving 12 years for rape.

He is trying to turn his life around, but what is the use of trying when he does heroes work, then gets kicked in the guts for his effort.

www.northernstar.com.au...

A VOLUNTEER who helped people during the floods had his invitation to today's disaster heroes ceremony scrapped after Premier Anna Bligh learned of his criminal record.

Bob Riddler was convicted of a violent rape in 1997 and spent 12 years in jail before being released last September.

He said he'd been trying to turn his life around and when the floods hit in January, he volunteered at Shiloh Christian Church in Goodna.

On May 20, Mr Riddler received a letter from Anna Bligh telling him he was nominated by people in the community as a Queensland Disaster Hero.

“You have demonstrated amazing community spirit during these tough times and we couldn't have continued on the road to recovery without your tireless efforts,” Ms Bligh wrote.

“I would then like to invite you to attend a very special Queensland Disaster Heroes ceremony.”

But four days later, a letter arrived for Mr Riddler from the Premier's director-general Ken Smith.

“It has now come to my attention that you have a serious criminal history,” it said.

“After discussing this matter with the Premier, I have decided that it would be inappropriate for you to accept this award and to attend the ceremony in Ipswich.

"I trust you can appreciate the reasons for this decision.”

Mr Riddler told the Queensland Times yesterday he was convicted of raping a sex worker on the Gold Coast in 1997.

He was also convicted of armed robbery and assault and was sentenced to 12 years in jail in March 1999.

He was released last September and this year was put on a five-year supervision order.

In January, his house wasn't flooded but he couldn't get home because roads were flooded.

“When I got to the Shiloh Church I saw a need. I did whatever was needed,” Mr Riddler.

“I bought a van just before the floods and I've done 20,000km in five months; cleaning houses, removing rubbish.

“The Corrections Department was aware of what I was doing.

"They came up and spoke to me.

“I was doing deliveries of food and furniture; I was working 14 hours a day, seven days a week.”

He said he even met the Premier when she visited Goodna.

“She said knew about me because I'd made a carrot cake that was sent to her office.

"She said: ‘You're the famous Bob' and shook my hand,” he said.

He said he owned up to his criminal past and deserved the chance to turn his life around.

“I'm not the person I was 15 years ago. I turned 54 last week and I realised I don't want to go back to that,” he said.

“I made a mistake; I'm not trying to hide it but I keep being made to pay for it.

"It's not like I'm a pedophile and I'm hanging around schools.

“I'm trying to give something back and this is a kick in the guts.

“For the first time I'm proud of myself.

"Am I meant to be treated like this for the rest of my life?

“I want to prove them wrong now; I want to be a success story.”

Shiloh Pastor Alan Morris said Mr Riddler was of great assistance during the floods.

“He worked with the Corrections Department and with our full knowledge,” Pr Morris said.

“He worked as hard as anyone here; he put in a lot of hours.

"He was as worthy of an award as anyone else here.

“I can assure you no-one here is fearful of him or that he will lapse.

"We're just giving him a chance.

“He did really bad stuff and a lot of people don't get a chance to make up for it.”

edit on 12-6-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Like a tatoo, when the thrill of it wears off, what you have done rarely goes away completely.

That is just another price he has to pay for the crime. Is it fair that a judge or court was not necessary to make that ruling? Maybe. Maybe not. Yet society has spoken in one form or another in addition to the hard and fast rules of "justice."

I have no opinion on his case, merely pointing out how the systems work, mesh or clash..

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
True charity is never boasted about

if it was true then this shouldn't matter, im sure the folks he helped will be grateful, a medal means nothing in the scheme of things

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Does he really need a trinket?

He knows what he did, those he helped know what he did.

Reward enough imo.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Does he really need a trinket?

He knows what he did, those he helped know what he did.

Reward enough imo.

I'm sure he is insecure given his past. And probably just wants acceptance now.

Tough times ahead, but if he continues his way then he will finish out his life better than most people live theirs. If he has to do it without recognition, he should just be happy he has made a change with himself. IMO.

Second chances do have to be given, because without them people like him will not have the opportunity to change and it only causes more grief for everyone in the long run.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I don't see it as just the trinket.

It's more about him trying to turn his life around, then to be offered a recognition of a job well done, only to have it taken away because of a past he is trying to leave behind.

He has paid his debt to society & the gets his nose rubbed in it again.

He is on the right track to improve himself, it will get better will encouragement, not denial of what he has done, simply because a government official thinks it would be bad PR for themselves to aknowledge his good work.
edit on 12-6-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
One has nothing to do with the other.

A hero is a hero is a hero...regardless of what he has done.

I DO NOT condone his previous crime whatsoever but since when did your past actions become a prerequisite as to whether or not you can be called a hero for a current action?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
No rapist should ever be labled a hero.
Hes a rapist first and a rapist second.
I dont care how many this rapist saved, he will never be a hero in his rape victims eye's.
He deserve a castration and not an award

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm torn on this subject. He committed an awful crime 12 years ago, and SOME people actually do change, but many don't. And he also did a great deed that was deemed not recognizable because of it. Maybe this tainted past and stripping his recognition will throw him back the wrong way instead of being able to be proud of himself.
I just don't know what to think here... I guess knowing the actual person would help.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

I agree with your surmising of the situation.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
People should demonstrate acts of bravery and compassion for fellow humans solely for the act itself, and the self knowledge that one has done so, but not ever for the public recognition of doing such. Satisfying ones ego though should never be motivation.

Do people make mistakes? All the time.
Are those mistakes "forgivable" or justifiable? Likely, more often than not.
Does saving peoples lives undo taking anothers' sense of safety, security and dignity away? Never.

Nothing a person can ever do will undo what's already been done.
Some things, once done, cannot ever be undone, or sufficiently apologized for.

But kudos to the person that helps fellow human beings.
It takes a lot to put one's self in harms way to save another.
That does not excuse anything else though.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
I dont care how many this rapist saved, he will never be a hero in his rape victims eye's.

Two things, he's owned up to his own mistake, if it was a one time thing, he did his time, and is not a career rapist, then leave him alone. People make mistakes. One of my friends raped his girlfriend when people slipped some drugs into his drink. 5 years later, he has a kid, him and the girl are happily married, and he's served in afghan. Should my friend be castrated?

Shoot first ask questions later is an approach for the stupid.

And his so called "rape victim" was a "Sex Worker". AKA a prostitute. He probably short changed her and she reported him lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by furzball

Two things, he's owned up to his own mistake, if it was a one time thing, he did his time, and is not a career rapist, then leave him alone. People make mistakes. One of my friends raped his girlfriend when people slipped some drugs into his drink. 5 years later, he has a kid, him and the girl are happily married, and he's served in afghan. Should my friend be castrated?

And his so called "rape victim" was a "Sex Worker". AKA a prostitute. He probably short changed her and she reported him lol.

So you condone rape as long as the guy rapes a prostitute and then says he's sorry.
Well your the stupid one and the sadistic one.
I cant believe you said that, seriously you are sick and perverted.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I broke the law a few years ago and served time in prison. It was the first and last time I have ever been in trouble. After I was released, every job I applied for I disclosed my conviction, but I was never offered any employment.

Then once, I lied on a job application, and where I was asked to disclose any convictions not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, I answered 'none'. I got the job.

I worked there for seven years and was very much a trusted member of the team. The whole time though, I felt bad that I had to be dishonest to get an honest job. But I also had bills to pay, and I didn't want to go back to crime to earn a living.

Would I have got the job if I had been truthful? Maybe. But realistically, I doubt it.

This man is working hard to prove he is not the same man who offended, and it is great that the people he is helping, recognize and encourage his efforts. The QLD Premier should do the same.

Some people DO change for the better, even ex-convicts - the ones who DO learn from mistakes just need a chance to prove it.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

some people just don't get it even when it smacks with a 2x4 between the eyes.

the local church knew
corrections knew
probably his neighbors knew

this isn't about Mr riddlers past

this is about a politician covering her a@@

nice message her actions send: don't even think about doing anything
to make up for past mistakes or even try to seek redemption,

you wont get credit for it.

lot's of men have been sent to jail for false rape accusations and still are.

maybe the T&C needs to be ammended

new rule for posting on ATS: leave your knee-jerk reactions at the door.

edit on 12-6-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added correction & additional comment

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me any, people that are convicted are second class citizens, even after they have done their time and paid their debt to society.

Voting rights? Right to bear arms?

What a joke.
edit on Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:20:46 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by meathed

So you condone rape as long as the guy rapes a prostitute and then says he's sorry. Well your the stupid one and the sadistic one. I cant believe you said that, seriously you are sick and perverted.

The Catholic Church doesn't even usually say sorry, so this guy is one step ahead of them at least.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by furzball

So you condone rape as long as the guy rapes a prostitute and then says he's sorry.
Well your the stupid one and the sadistic one.
I cant believe you said that, seriously you are sick and perverted.

Anywhere in there did I say "yes rape is great, I condone it!".... no I did not. I was telling the other guy that castration shouldn't be the first reaction to a "rape accusation". Why I say rape accusation. Cause it is fully likely that the prostitute can report a rape if he "used her services" and she got pissed at something like him short changing her.
Do I condone my friend having raped his wife. No. Do I think he is completely at fault and is a horrible monster. No. Cause someone slipped him some drugs and he was tripping out bad. His "victim" forgave him and married him and they live a wonderful life together. He also serves in the army. So who am I to hold what happened against him. And thats just one of the few examples where I can forgive someone for rape. The only other example is if it is a false accusation.
So who is the stupid one, the guy that faces reality and knows how the world works or the guy that cant even read a paragraph. Well there's two, I'm sure it'll keep you busy trying to think about it.

and either way, if he went to jail, did his time, and turned his life around, he shouldn't be continually punished after the fact. Which is what the above article is about is them taking away his credidation for taking heroic action, which nothing in his past has to do with. It is similar to your car insurance taking away your safe driver discount because of a speeding ticket that you had already paid off and done you time for when you were 16.
So all those lives he saved, all the people he helped, etc. all those people are a waste because this man had gone to jail. Dude is not a leper or something. You do something bad, you get punished, you move on and do the best you can in life. If you do something good you should be awarded for that event.

edit on 12-6-2011 by furzball because: adding bit about why I disagree on discrediting the guy.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I wonder how the person he raped is getting on, I wonder if after 12 yrs if she has healed ....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

the right to bear arms don't apply here in oz, we aussies don't need em

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join