It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First photos of Gabrielle Giffords released

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
reply to post by filosophia

That was probably from a Tracheotomy , im sure she was on life support for awhile.

So, am I to believe that a tracheotomy leaves a mark but not a bullet? A tracheotomy is a life saving procedure, a bullet is a death causing procedure. One leaves a mark the other doesn't, which one is it?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

God bless her, she looks beautiful.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Look at your own quote....rehabilitation is the key word there. These are pictures to show she isnt laying in a coma or sitting there with her skull open. Her recovery is far from over in terms of determining what parts of her brain are affected, how good her long term prognosis is, and what sort of hurdles she will have to over come. Can she walk without assistance for long periods? Can she speak coherently and easily? Can she remember everything? These things have to be figured out when it comes to sending someone home and determining what care they will require after the physical trauma has been dealt with.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You have never seen a traec scar before? People who get them have a hard time hiding them, they heal poorly and scars are the normal.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

You have never seen a traec scar before? People who get them have a hard time hiding them, they heal poorly and scars are the normal.

you ignored the question, why wouldn't there be a bullet scar as well? The trach can't heal in 6 months but the bullet hole is completely gone? Ha

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

you ignored the question, why wouldn't there be a bullet scar as well? The trach can't heal in 6 months but the bullet hole is completely gone? Ha

There is a bullet scar if you notice it near the top left of her forehead. It would of been a bit warped and hidden since they most likely had to stretch some skin back after putting her skull back together, and relieving pressure of her brain. If you read up on traec scars, the reason they are so noticeable is cause of where they are and what tissues are there to affect the healing.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

From the photo, it looks like she was shot on the left side of her head.

So it's likely her hair is covering up most of the scarring/damage.

Edit: Just noticed the scar the above poster mentioned on her forehead
edit on 13-6-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

From the photo, it looks like she was shot on the left side of her head.

So it's likely her hair is covering up most of the scarring/damage.

Edit: Just noticed the scar the above poster mentioned on her forehead
edit on 13-6-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

Well sometimes photos are backwards so it could be her right, but yes in the picture you can see the pink scar tissue there.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Like others said the neck wound is a tracheotomy wound, where the surgeons had to open a hole in her throat for her to be able to breathe after the surgery. I dated a boy in high school who was in a hideous motorcycle wreck, and he had a trach. It left the same scar. Google it, filo, everyone has a neck scar who has a trazch.

In the first picture I posted it appears one side of her upper head is sunk in a bit.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego

Originally posted by mishigas
I think she's a little bit BUSY RIGHT NOW recovering from a horrible head wound.

Well her constituents aren't paying her to recover from an injury. They're paying her to represent them in congress, and that she is unable to do. And probably won't be able to do at any time in the future, given the grievous and permanent nature of her wound. I'm not blaming Ms. Giffords. But facts are facts, and the voters of her district deserve someone who can do the job.

Based on her district.. If you are trying to make this Democrat Vs. Teabagger/Republican..
Pretty sure another Democrat will replace her..If your a Teabag..Don't get your hopes high.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I suspect she's pretty self aware. While she may have memory issues, I think that her main problem is not so much that she hasn't retained her intelligence from prior to the attack, it's that she may, at this time, have distinct problems formulating words to engage in conversation. She has already progressed further (at least physically) than Brady after Reagan's shooting, and if she's able to match him mentally then she wouldn't have an issue resuming duties.

There's also plenty of precedence for sitting Congresspeople being given extended periods of time for recovery from traumatic injuries--case in point is South Dakota Senator Timothy Johnson, who took almost a year off after he suffered bleeding in the brain.

There's obviously a point where desicions need to be made, but her term is only two years and I think that about 95% of the constituents in her district are OK with her taking all the time she needs. The one thing I notice about the "why hasn't she resigned" crowd is that I still have yet to read much of anything about that coming from her actual district. I suspect they're probably tired of a bunch of far right nuts bloviating about how they "deserve representation".

Gabby looks fantastic in these pictures. The amount of determination she has shown in recovering from her shooting shows me that this will NOT be where she plateaus. And honestly, if Bill Brady didn't turn out to be the antichrist, I don't think Gabrielle Giffords will either.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'd tap that.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

giffords will become the poster child for gun control.

more gun laws will be comming and soon.

For your information, neo96, she has been consistently and emphatically against gun control. She's a very strong minded woman (gun toting too and knows how to shoot) and I doubt she will allow herself to be the poster child for anything. Could she change her mind on gun control? Possibly but I doubt it. She probably should have insisted on more protection after the numerous death threats she and her staff had received or she may favor gun free speech zones but don't confuse that with "gun control". She's a pragmatic moderate and has represented her district well and if she is to be replaced will probably be replaced by another blue dog Democrat. Southern Arizona is nothing like the Northern part of the state. Consider too, if you will she has large support among the military and the ranchers on the border, strange as that may seem to you but then I suspect you know nothing of her district or her political views.
edit on 14-6-2011 by ChrisCrikey because: edited for clarity and realism.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Just a little bump for something that I noticed in an article. It really dispells the notion that she has no idea what's going on, doesn't remember her life before the shooting, etc:

azstarnet.com...

Karamargin, who said he hopes viewers don’t try to infer any medical update from the photos, said what they clearly show is Giffords’ upbeat mood after watching her husband’s successful flight. “We saw a definite boost in her spirit and strength after she went to Florida,” he said, adding that while the hospital is providing excellent care, just getting out of there for a while was positive. Weis hadn’t seen Giffords since he’d photographed her under contract for her 2010 campaign. When he came into the room, he said, she yelled out, “P.K.! P.K!”

The fact that she remembers someone who played a relatively minor role in her re-election campaign seems to indicate that she has a pretty good fraking grasp on reality. Also, almost anyone asked about her recovery recently has backed up the idea that her comprehension of issues is on par with what she was doing prior to the shooting. There's no reason to think that any of this is a lie. If she can remember people that are relatively minor in her life (from previous ELECTION campaigns), I'm pretty sure she remembers she's a Congresswoman, and that indicates her critical thinking skills probably are fine. She may be handicapped by a lack of speech (which is affected in the brain area where she was shot), but that can be improved, and last time I checked, Stephen fracking Hawking has to type into a damn computer to talk, and he seems like an intelligent enough guy.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Asktheanimals

Originally posted by Signals
Recovering from her mortal head wound,

The AntiChrist arises...

You know I couldn't help but wonder the same thing after reading the bible verse in Revelations that says something like " shall recover from a mortal head wound and the whole world will marvel".
Sleeper candidate for sure.

I gotta add that it's amazing she is doing so well.
Those were some horrific wounds and she is very fortunate to be alive and well.

Please guys. A mortal wound is a fatal wound. Does not apply here.

I was wrong it said "seemed ....fatal", and yes it applies if you believe in eschatology.

# Revelation 13:3 One of the heads of the beast seemed to have had a fatal wound, but the fatal wound had been healed. The whole world was filled with wonder and followed the beast

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

She looks great, but I have a question. I hope it is not inappropriate.

Does she now have false teeth, at least on top? It appears so to me. I think it's highly possible that a high impact wound like that could knock out teeth. I'll have to look at earlier photos to determine.

Sorry if this is morbid to some.

I was wondering something similar. Her teeth are different. She clearly previously had work done. Maybe caps on her teeth.

Now the teeth are shaped differently. Is this due to the head trauma changing the upper palate?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My gut feeling is that the Giffords camp will wait a decent interval and then announce that she is resigning. By this time Gabby's husband and hero astronaut Mark Kelly will have resigned from NASA and announce that he is running in the special election to fill her vacant seat. That's probably the decent thing to do. What I can't envision is the status quo for the next 17 months until the next election.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
My gut feeling is that the Giffords camp will wait a decent interval and then announce that she is resigning. By this time Gabby's husband and hero astronaut Mark Kelly will have resigned from NASA and announce that he is running in the special election to fill her vacant seat. That's probably the decent thing to do. What I can't envision is the status quo for the next 17 months until the next election.

Do you really think he would run, though? There's no indication that he agrees with her politics (I would describe them as center-left -- at least on an American scale), and even if he did, he has never struck me as the media loving all-me kind of guy. He hasn't been a very visible face on announcements about her recovery, and I would think that if that was the plan, he would go ahead and do that.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

She looks great, but I have a question. I hope it is not inappropriate.

Does she now have false teeth, at least on top? It appears so to me. I think it's highly possible that a high impact wound like that could knock out teeth. I'll have to look at earlier photos to determine.

Sorry if this is morbid to some.

I was wondering something similar. Her teeth are different. She clearly previously had work done. Maybe caps on her teeth.

Now the teeth are shaped differently. Is this due to the head trauma changing the upper palate?

What struck me was the color of her gums. They look like they are a little too pink. And the partial upper plate stops between the left top canine and the first pre-molar, imo.

edit on 15-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Incredible!!! She looks great!

Loghner should rot in jail for what he did. What a piece of scum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join