It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret U.S. effort aims to help dissidents: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Secret U.S. effort aims to help dissidents: report

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Obama administration is leading a global effort to establish "shadow" Internet and cellphone systems to help dissidents undermine authoritarian governments, the New York Times reported on Sunday.

The effort has quickened since former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's government shut down the country's Internet in the last days of his rule, said the Times report, which cited planning documents, classified diplomatic cables and sources.

The Internet has been used in recent months by anti-government protesters in North Africa and the Middle East to help coo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

In one project, the U.S. State Department and Pentagon have spent at least $50 million to create an independent cellphone network in Afghanistan using towers on military bases in the country, the Times said, citing unnamed U.S. officials.

The operation is aimed at counteracting the Taliban insurgency's ability to shut down official Afghan services, the Times said.

The State Department is also financing creation of stealth wireless networks to enable activists to communicate beyond the reach of governments in countries like Iran, Syria and Libya, the Times said, citing participants in the projects.

Another project focuses on development of an "Internet in a suitcase" that could be smuggled across a border and deployed to allow wireless communication with a link to the global Internet, the Times reported.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is backing the U.S. effort, according to the report.

"We see more and more people around the globe using the Internet, mobile phones and other technologies to make their voices heard as they protest against injustice and seek to realize their aspirations," the Times quoted Clinton as saying in an email response to a query on the subject.

U.S. diplomats also are meeting with operatives who have been burying Chinese cellphones near the border with North Korea, where they can be dug up and used to make furtive calls, the Times reported.

So everything was true. Egypt, Libya, Syria, Iran are all claiming that foreign elements were involved in this so called "revolution." The U.S. was responsible for what is happening. Hence why they were trying to shut down the internet to prevent the U.S. from spreading propaganda on things that were not true.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Lol, I was just about to post this story
www.nytimes.com...

This of course will not be available in the United States, it's only to be used outside of the U.S. in governments that we want to topple and take control.

This beautiful path of freedom and democracy will be following oil and other natural resources, also countries that give the U.S. a geographic advantage.

Remember this?
U.S. grants support Iranian dissidents
www.globalresearch.ca...

What percentage of your taxes do you think goes towards toppling foreign govts. or maintaining the puppet strings?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It's the right thing to do. This is where I draw a line between the UN and the human right to dissent and freedom. The UN cannot and should not condone tyranny and human rights violations. So I'm 100% behind this support to undermine these countries. They deserve it. If freedom is their enemy, then make no mistake, they're our enemy and we cannot sleep so long as freedom is not available to every man, women and child on planet earth.

Bad things happen when good people sleep. Did you know that?

Sleeping is what led to Hitler. Sleeping is what led to 9/11. Sleeping is our enemy too.

I cannot understand how anyone can sleep while this is going on. How can anyone ignore the crimes being committed in Iran? It has always baffled me. It's far beyond anything going on here. I have to question whether people who sleep are good. If you want to fight evil, then FIGHT!

You will not sleep, no more! The right to freedom and assembly is NOW.
edit on 12-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Hypocrites! The USA brutally oppresses all dissenting voices in their own country while encouraging "dissent" in foreign nations.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG

Hypocrites! The USA brutally oppresses all dissenting voices in their own country while encouraging "dissent" in foreign nations.

This is not true at all. You must be a european, am I right? Is a popular viewpoint over there.

I can't turn on the TV or read the newspaper without seeing dissent in every segment, on every page. Protests all across the nation for different issues. These kinds of things can't happen in these other countries, like Libya, for example. Gadaffi made it illegal to dissent, effectively. He made a list of dissenters to be assassinated. And this is just the beginning of the evil. It has crept into our politics bit by bit. It's a apathy. It's a sickness. By turning our sights away from the evils in this world they will grow not only out there but here in our own county as well. So if you're advocating that we sit and ignore this world then I will say that this is the best possible course of action if evil is your goal. Is evil your goal? Or are you simply stupid?

WWII was not fought so we could create more evil. It was fought for freedom. The war is not over! It did not end in 1945. It has not ended since. Evil thrives because people sleep.

Youth often say that we fight these wars because we're oppressors. But they say this with eyes glazed over. They're not the ones out there in the world making it happen. They say this in ignorance. To see this world in person you're changed forever. You never can go back to being young again. The truth is we fight these wars because people are locked away in their nations, unable to see this world for what it truly is. They're blinded by the media, by all the dazzling lights, by work, by passions and sins. Evil is like a parasite. It exists in the dark places where people don't go. It's all around us. It builds an environment of apathy. It's like a man that builds a log cabin and clears some trees and plants some crops. It's readying the landscape it lives in for its future concerns. Then what? I can only guess, but something mcuh worse than apathy!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They just want to know who they are so they can kill
them later.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

it has nothing to do with Freedom ...

you don't honestly believe we're in all these country's
dropping bombs & killing...
because America wants them free & democratic

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
lol, most seem to be forgetting something.
communication is a 2-way street.

That satellite in a suit case is not there
to just get the reports coming out of a
region. It is there also to send updates
and orders for their agents in the field.
A rebellion orchestrated from DC can't
happen if cell phone and internet is
disconnected on the other end.

It is a mobile spy network.

Allowing everybody to use it
just hides the agents in with the traffic.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Originally posted by KOGDOG

This is not true at all. You must be a european, am I right? Is a popular viewpoint over there.

I can't turn on the TV or read the newspaper without seeing dissent in every segment, on every page. Protests all across the nation for different issues. These kinds of things can't happen in these other countries, like Libya, for example. Gadaffi made it illegal to dissent, effectively. He made a list of dissenters to be assassinated.

Yeah, in america it's not illegal, it's so not illegal that the MSM pays absolutely no attention to any anti establishment protestors and police break your arms when arresting you during peaceful protests they "dont like".

And this is just the beginning of the evil. It has crept into our politics bit by bit. It's a apathy. It's a sickness. By turning our sights away from the evils in this world they will grow not only out there but here in our own county as well. So if you're advocating that we sit and ignore this world then I will say that this is the best possible course of action if evil is your goal. Is evil your goal? Or are you simply stupid?

Oh no! Evil you say! EVILL!! Lets dump all of our tax dollars on destabilizing other governments. It is totally our right to do this, I mean, USA is the only REAL country anyway, right? If I dont # with other country's policy in deceitful ways I must be evil, or be against spending tax dollars to do so, I must be stupid...

WWII was not fought so we could create more evil. It was fought for freedom. The war is not over! It did not end in 1945. It has not ended since. Evil remains because people sleep.

wont touch this

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

These kinds of things can't happen in these other countries, like Libya, for example. Gadaffi made it illegal to dissent, effectively. He made a list of dissenters to be assassinated.

geez, that's weird.
Obama has a list like that too.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

These kinds of things can't happen in these other countries, like Libya, for example. Gadaffi made it illegal to dissent, effectively. He made a list of dissenters to be assassinated.

geez, that's weird.
Obama has a list like that too.

Nice try, but get back to me when he starts putting bullets in their heads. Kid, you have no idea what you're arguing here, do you? Don't you have better things to do, like learning?

I'm not trying to pi** people off. I'm trying to get you to stop sleeping. You have to make the choice inside your mind to stop. I can't force it. Turning on the light is not easy, it never was.

But when hte day comes to decide who to stand by, I will stand by those who're awake. If you're not there, you'll be on your own. And you don't want to be in the dark places...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Nice try, but get back to me when he starts putting bullets in their heads.
Have you been paying attention? They are putting bullets in us. In Arizona, in Miami, all over this formerly great nation. I won't provide links, you would only doubt. Check, wake up and pay attention to what is happening here in the USSA.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
And if this rebellion comes to the West what is the chance they'll release their strangle hold of the main stream media or our methods of communication? talk about pushing a one sided agenda, one they would deny their own citizens.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

It's the right thing to do. This is where I draw a line between the UN and the human right to dissent and freedom. The UN cannot and should not condone tyranny and human rights violations. So I'm 100% behind this support to undermine these countries. They deserve it. If freedom is their enemy, then make no mistake, they're our enemy and we cannot sleep so long as freedom is not available to every man, women and child on planet earth.

Bad things happen when good people sleep. Did you know that?

Sleeping is what led to Hitler. Sleeping is what led to 9/11. Sleeping is our enemy too.

I cannot understand how anyone can sleep while this is going on. How can anyone ignore the crimes being committed in Iran? It has always baffled me. It's far beyond anything going on here. I have to question whether people who sleep are good. If you want to fight evil, then FIGHT!

You will not sleep, no more! The right to freedom and assembly is NOW.

Well said, freedom for all. Stop thinking only of politics, think about the people like you and me in these areas. All they want is what we have food, clean water, the right to religous freedom, the right to choose the leaders they want, and the right to exist. We take them for granted because we have always had these rights. We have so much we sit on sites like this able to freely converse our thoughts and ideas. While the people we need to help are more concerned about clean water, food, and shelter. Most of them cannot go to a drive through to quench a thirst. This is all about the little guy, the children and elderly, the poor etc.... Would you really let possibly millions of women, children, and men die horrible deaths?

top topics

join