It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigating the Weird hums, booms and tremors

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

We heard a loud rumbling noise in Fife Scotland on 11th June early Saturday morning lasted from 2.45am to 3.10am and sounded to me like jet engines at very close quarters. I heard the same sounds when in the airforce but there was nothing to be seen and it sounded stationary for some time before fading for a couple of minutes coming back and then stopping suddenly. Very strange. All 3 of us in the household heard it and saw nothing. Our dog who barks at the least noise didn't bark and this was soooo loud. So I would have gone for military aircraft if it hadn't been stationary,so loud and not visible. The sky was clear and light as dawn was starting to break. Would love to know what it was.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by alienscot1

wonder if thats th same noise 2 of my kids heard that night (am in edinburgh) , we just dismissed it as thunder, but kids said it sounded weird

thanks for sharing hopefully we can discover what they are, or whats causing them even if it is mundane

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Unexplained thundering phenomena have occured throughout history. A quote from The Dragon and The Disc: "The first modern observation seems to have been provided by colonel Godwin Austin who heard inexplicable detonations in the air in the spring of 1865 in Bhutan. A further description was supplied in 1895 by Colonel H.S. Olcott from the Barisal and Chalmari regions of the Brahmaputra. The sounds came to be known as the 'Barisal Guns'. Charles Sturt, discoverer of the Darling and Murray rivers, heard them in Australia in 1828-9 and commented "It was not a terrestrial sound although it might have resembled a discharge of heavy artillery. The Thunderer has also been heard in the U.S.A., Ireland, Britain, and many other countries. In Haiti, Kolosimo says it produced superstitious terror. It is reasonable to suspect that there may be a connection between the Thunderbird of Amerindian folklore, the thundering god Taranis of the Celts, the Barisal Guns and U.F.O. phenomena."

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I also recently read about the article in the telegraph i only live 20 minutes away. I want to drive down and have a listen but it doesnt say if this is a daily occurance... i dont want to drive down at 4am for a total silence, does anyone know if would need any special recording device to pick up the sounds?? Does anyone on here live close by or have heard the woodland, county durham humming??

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nitro67

Unexplained thundering phenomena have occured throughout history. A quote from The Dragon and The Disc: "The first modern observation seems to have been provided by colonel Godwin Austin who heard inexplicable detonations in the air in the spring of 1865 in Bhutan. A further description was supplied in 1895 by Colonel H.S. Olcott from the Barisal and Chalmari regions of the Brahmaputra. The sounds came to be known as the 'Barisal Guns'. Charles Sturt, discoverer of the Darling and Murray rivers, heard them in Australia in 1828-9 and commented "It was not a terrestrial sound although it might have resembled a discharge of heavy artillery. The Thunderer has also been heard in the U.S.A., Ireland, Britain, and many other countries. In Haiti, Kolosimo says it produced superstitious terror. It is reasonable to suspect that there may be a connection between the Thunderbird of Amerindian folklore, the thundering god Taranis of the Celts, the Barisal Guns and U.F.O. phenomena."

Thundering is not a 100% accurate explanation. Most people have been hearing thunder most of their lives and can easily recognized it (except in geographical areas where thunder is not common). I hear a clear difference in the two sounds and other do as well. This is why people who hear this hum are looking for alternative answers.

I'm providing actual examples of this thundering sound (thunder). You can make your own conclusion. For me it's not the same sound. Thundering as you mentioned, typically sounds like a bombardment with detonations (this is why they refer to artillery and guns). Thundering is a very distinct sound. I have been hearing it all my life. It is not a constant monotone hum or rumble. Thundering is a living sound with various changes in tone, pitch, location and volume. This mysterious hum, when compared by me, sounds like a stationary mechanical sound, much like a large diesel or turbine engine. To me there is nothing natural about this sound.

Some examples of thundering and thunder

Feel free to find other sounds to compare with this hum and decide for yourself
edit on 13-6-2011 by matito because:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by matito

I have been searching sound files on the net, to try to find something close to the "rumble"....I posted it in another thread, but here it is again. I'm not saying it's a volcano (we don't have them here that I know of).....but it is almost identical to what people report, and very similar to what I heard. Count down the list to numbers 13 and 14....those are the closest to it. Not thunder for sure.
www.sounddogs.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by matito

The key to the quote is "unexplained" thundering phenomena. People know what thunder is and have always known what thunder is. The "thunderer" is similar to the "hum" in that it lasts far longer than a thunder clap and has a musical quality to it as well, that being a "hum" or rumble that changes in intensity while never changing its frequency beat. Although I say that from personal experience, check out my little story on this page: www.abovetopsecret.com... Peoples perception of sounds is very subjective and we may be describing very different things when talking about all of these sounds, could be harmonic tremors, rumbling clouds, etc. I think when people are describing a "hum" or rumble that lasts for a long time and evokes fear it is ET connected. "ZEUS, ODIN, TARANIS, ETC..." ARE GOING TO RETURN TO DESTROY THE UNRIGHTEOUS!!!!!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
From May 22, 2011
Here is one I haven't heard before....I've been checking most every day for new recordings....listen to the whole thing to hear how it changes! It goes on for too long to be any jet or plane. Also, notice how it stops at the end....Here is the statement from the person who recorded it....

Noise started at around 3am lasted around 20 mins, then stopped started again at 4 and went on until around 5:45am. Sounded like a hovering plane, then a strong wind, back to hovering plane. No planes were visible and it was damn near all night.

and here is another from NJ, only a day before on May 21, 2011

edit on 6/13/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This is bideford north devon uk.....one day later...May 23, 2011

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nitro67

The key to the quote is "unexplained" thundering phenomena. People know what thunder is and have always known what thunder is. The "thunderer" is similar to the "hum" in that it lasts far longer than a thunder clap and has a musical quality to it as well, that being a "hum" or rumble that changes in intensity while never changing its frequency beat.

I thought you may have been talking about another natural phenomena, yet I was not able to find an audio sample. It would be great if I could. That could be a logical explanation, yet I would really like to hear it for myself before making that conclusion.

Peoples perception of sounds is very subjective and we may be describing very different things when talking about all of these sounds, could be harmonic tremors, rumbling clouds, etc.

I agree 100%. Each persons perception is unique and very subjective. In my assessment of this "hum", I only take into account the instances where the sound was recorded. Recorded audio makes all the difference.

ZEUS, ODIN, TARANIS, ETC..." ARE GOING TO RETURN TO DESTROY THE UNRIGHTEOUS!!!!!

Right when everything you were saying was making sense to me you throw this in...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is some awesome research. Great job. I am very fascinated by this as well. I have no idea what it could be. It always sounds like some sort of giant machine. Maybe something from another dimension is bleeding through to us.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

These are great example of "the hum". A lot of things can be ruled out, like turbine testing and planes (audio too long). It seems that NJ has a lot of reports of this sound. I wonder if there is any underground construction nearby. Also I wonder if there are natural gas plants in NJ. These sounds do not sound natural to me, they sound mechanical. Yet the fact that the sound changes is not consistent with a motorized engine (unless it's operating a drill for underground drilling or other equipment).

The last video sounds like it could be a natural occurance. Like high winds and distant thundering, since I heard sound fluctuations and some small detonations. Hard to tell though.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The world is staged for nuclear war , something is digging underneath

edit on 15-6-2011 by solid007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
thanks everyone for the videos and your stories, ams till thinking along the lines of the hums/.booms/tremors are related in some way to the earths movements, dont get me wrong some of these hums etc have easy explinations hmm

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

The noise in Fife appears to have been the petrochemical plant at Mossmorran.

Flaring At Fife Ethylene Plant

Management at the Fife Ethylene Plant would like to apologise to the
local community for the disturbance caused over this last weekend. The
initial noise and the ongoing elevated flaring are a result of a steam
system upset on one of our compressors early on Saturday 11th June.

At no time was there any danger to the workforce or the local community.

SEPA, local neighbours and officials were all kept informed of the
situation over the course of the weekend.

The cause of the process upset is being investigated and the
investigation report will be shared with the relevant authorities lochgelly.org.uk...

I have lived close to Mossmorran since it was built and never have heard such a loud noise, something had to be seriously wrong. It was not flaring at the time of the noise. If as they say it was caused by the gas is it possible that the similar sound other people are hearing could be from natural earth gases being disturbed by the earthquakes we are having? Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by alienscot1

quite possibly yea.

ahh i remember seeing the flaring actually, i stay just across the water and were i am i can see the flares kids all say it looks like a huge candle haha

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
After months of reading reports about the rumbling noise, I have finally heard something I can't explain.

It happened last week on June 9 (2011) between 11-11:30am. It started up quickly and was over in about 5mins, then happened again about 10mins later for just about 1-2mins. The weather at the time was hot and sunny, although we did have a storm front move through later that day.

I have also felt small tremors at my house. Kinda like when the washing machine starts up a spin cycle, just a small vibration. I mostly feel it when I'm setting with my feet on the floor. My husband has never felt those. He's made a joke out of it, now he just pats me on the head and says "They must be tunneling again."
And I'll be honest, I can almost believe that is the case. We live within a 6 miles radius of Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Plus we have TVA power lines that run across our property, which I think would be a good "path" for a tunnel. (Yes, I know. I need to loosen my tinfoil hat a bit.)

The past few months something has also started bothering our dogs (Border Collie/Akita mix). They will be passed out asleep, then at the same time, jump up, tails tucked and stare at the floor. They also go thru hours of being restless, whining and refusing to sit or lay down. That started about 3-4 months ago.

Don't know how it all ties in together, but something is different.

OiO

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

You might need to pay attention to those because you live near the new Madrid fault....tell your hubby that
It could be totally unrelated, the area has been having tons of small quakes for some time now.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

funny you mention the dogs reaction. my cat and my rabbit been acting strange last few days. the rabbit constantly thumps the ground and stops as if listening then she will try run away from whatever it is. the cat seems on edge, making little throaty noises at the ground. very weird even for them lol (im in edin scotland) we get no earthquakes here that are feelable anyway and the feelable ones tend ot be rare occurrences.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

You might need to pay attention to those because you live near the new Madrid fault....tell your hubby that
It could be totally unrelated, the area has been having tons of small quakes for some time now.

We are closer to the East Tennessee Seismic Zone (said to be the 2nd most active in the Eastern US?). After I started feeling those little vibrations I started checking on small EQs in our area. So far nothing has matched up. As for my husband, he's just picking on me and my conspiracy theories. He thinks it's cute

Regarding the sound. The "sucking noise from the sky" video in the OP was very similar to what I heard. And the list of audio files you linked too, #13 was similar to. We live up on a ridge, and the sound was sort of "distant" but very close. Like if the tree line that blocks my view of the valley below wasn't there, I would have expected to see what was causing the noise.

OiO

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join