It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atomophile Bacteria and Radiation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
So I'm just reading about atomophile bacteria for the first time.

Apparently, this bacteria has been found living in coolant water for nuclear reactors, and they can survive a thousand times the amount of radiation that we can (so, 6000 rads).

Since most of Japan has been contaminated, maybe this will be the time to create artificial bacteria that will consume radiation?

What I mean is the development of radiation scrubbers. As far as I know, they havent been made yet...

So, is there anyone who knows anything about the concept of radiation scrubbing, or radiation-thriving bacteria?

Because I kinda want to see this radiation gone. I can feel it on this side of the Pacific and I don't like it.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

As much as I agree with you and want someone to invent radiation scrubbers I'm doubting but hopeful for its creation. If there is one out there please someone send a link, prototype name or anything. I feel bad for you having to be exposed to greater levels of radiation out there. Just got to be positive, I don't know if your situation is going to change though... change to anything better I mean for the months to come. I might recommend moving and looking after your personal health and making others aware that you can protect yourself from radiation poisoning. If your looking for a less effected area I recommend southern America. Deeeeeep south. Otherwise unless you know alchemy I don't have any scrubbers capable of such a job as widespread and out of control of this. Its chaos and hopefully your being warned to stay out of the water and avoid the rain. Otherwise you may need to take some iodine(kelp) to help you feel normal again. Try to avoid high acidic foods and drinks(pop, junk food and such)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Since most of Japan has been contaminated, maybe this will be the time to create artificial bacteria that will consume radiation?

So, creating a artificial bacteria ? Ever heard about BP with Synthia and the GOM Blue Plague ?

this kind of solution is worse than the problem.

Releasing an artificial bacteria which the behavior is not know outside a lab in a highly radioactive area ( radiation can cause mutation ) is insane.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
There's a multicellular organism that can do this too.

Tardigrades are able to survive in extreme environments that would kill almost any other animal. Some can survive temperatures of close to absolute zero (−273 °C (−459 °F)), temperatures as high as 151 °C (304 °F), 1,000 times more radiation than other animals, and almost a decade without water. In September 2007, tardigrades were taken into low Earth orbit on the FOTON-M3 mission and for 10 days were exposed to the vacuum of space. After they were returned to Earth, it was discovered that many of them survived and laid eggs that hatched normally. In May 2011, studies involving tardigrades were included on STS-134, the final flight of Space Shuttle Endeavour.

Tardigrade

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by B3lz3buth

Yup, I know of Synthia.

However, Synthia was created by corporations that were bent on using it for exploiting the environment.

There's already a variety of bacteria out there that are exist in extreme environments and consume hazardous material (like oil).

The atomophile bacteria that I mentioned in the OP are also said to be commonly found in nuclear waste deposits. It could also be the solution to solving the issue of breaking down nuclear waste, since there is no solution now except to bury the stuff.

top topics

join