It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicist Stephen Hawking denounced for believing...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It's only a matter of time before we can finally state as absolute fact that there is no God. Just as it was only a matter of time that allowed us to state that the world was not flat. Refusing to let go of "God" as a means to understand the unknown happenings in life such as "What happens after you die" will prevent us from increasing our knowledge or discovering new things.
Can you imagine a world where every time something unknown or, at the time, unexplainable happened and we just said it was "God" and left it at that? We would be a planet of very primitive people with absolutely no technology. We would still be running around hunting animals for food and hiding from predators. If an asteroid were to be inbound we would not know about it and could not do anything about it, we would just watch it smack the earth and wonder why "God" is angry.
If it wasn't for those who reject the frankly ridiculous and insulting theory of creation we would have very little of what we have today. You wouldn't be at your computer for a start because lightning (electricity) is God's anger and you should be out sacrificing a child to appease his temper, not studying what it actually is. You wouldn't be cured of your illness as getting the illness was part of God's sadistic plan for you. You stand very little chance of living through your child birth because God intended that you die in the process and then go and burn in hell for some blundering error he made by putting a tree right in the middle of the place he put the people that he didn't want to eat from it. Never mind, you might meet another one of God's creations in Hell: Satan. Or if you did nothing throughout your life but pray to him and thank him for killing your family with his own creation of e-coli that came from the harvest he provided then you might go to heaven where you can do nothing but praise him all day and all night for eternity. Remember though, God doesn't have an inferiority complex. He is perfect in every way.
By creationist methods of thinking we should all be thanking God for:
AIDS, HIV, Cancer, Liver Disease, Bubonic plague, Brain Tumors, Birth defects and the list extends to every known disease and illness. After all: God created man and without man these diseases would not affect man. Or did he create us imperfectly? Just as he made a complete mess of the creation of earth.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The scientist has a nice deduction but if we really didn't have a free will then there would be no internet or freedom, this will be Lucifer's own little playing ground. This Earth would have been a Hell!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzumiRM
It's only a matter of time before we can finally state as absolute fact that there is no God. Just as it was only a matter of time that allowed us to state that the world was not flat. Refusing to let go of "God" as a means to understand the unknown happenings in life such as "What happens after you die" will prevent us from increasing our knowledge or discovering new things.
Can you imagine a world where every time something unknown or, at the time, unexplainable happened and we just said it was "God" and left it at that? We would be a planet of very primitive people with absolutely no technology. We would still be running around hunting animals for food and hiding from predators. If an asteroid were to be inbound we would not know about it and could not do anything about it, we would just watch it smack the earth and wonder why "God" is angry.
If it wasn't for those who reject the frankly ridiculous and insulting theory of creation we would have very little of what we have today. You wouldn't be at your computer for a start because lightning (electricity) is God's anger and you should be out sacrificing a child to appease his temper, not studying what it actually is. You wouldn't be cured of your illness as getting the illness was part of God's sadistic plan for you. You stand very little chance of living through your child birth because God intended that you die in the process and then go and burn in hell for some blundering error he made by putting a tree right in the middle of the place he put the people that he didn't want to eat from it. Never mind, you might meet another one of God's creations in Hell: Satan. Or if you did nothing throughout your life but pray to him and thank him for killing your family with his own creation of e-coli that came from the harvest he provided then you might go to heaven where you can do nothing but praise him all day and all night for eternity. Remember though, God doesn't have an inferiority complex. He is perfect in every way.
AIDS, HIV, Cancer, Liver Disease, Bubonic plague, Brain Tumors, Birth defects and the list extends to every known disease and illness. After all: God created man and without man these diseases would not affect man. Or did he create us imperfectly? Just as he made a complete mess of the creation of earth.

most the things you say creationists should thank God for e.g aids, hiv etc... all of these things would not have happened had man not lost his faith, hiv and aids are one and the same or the occur within each other, we are lead to believe that a man mated with a primate to create hiv and for whatever reason it spread.

probable cause and reason for this could have been the theory of evolution. a man was lead to believe that he and ape were one and the same, so he went along and said hey your a monkey, im a monkey and in the words of marvin gaye "lets get it on" - disturbing as it may be but i believe that is one possible theory for those two.

birth defects are mainly caused because the parent of the child is inhaling fumes (man made fumes) that cause defects to occur and alot of the other diseases only are here because of radiation being so close to us, from our phones, from our computers and from nearly all electronic devices.

and please just look at my sig

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

did you buy his latest book or maybe joined his facebook group?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowZion

while I agree that there are some man-made factors involved, I sure would like to see some studies for your comment

birth defects are mainly caused because the parent of the child is inhaling fumes (man made fumes)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by soldita

You are still an individual highly complex computer though.

Ummm........fascinating......a highly evolved machine "mind" that one day "decided" to link on atomic and macrocellular levels..........Why.....this "decisive" grouping took place.....even when there we're only 2-count em two....microcellular particles bumping about in the "soup"............The sheer stamina...the ...determination...the obvious communication of course......I mean...the thought that two particles have the ability to communicate determinism...and execute programming...that these particles can individually accept and respond to an either innate or an...external...stimuli in the form of programming and bind along certain axis of force.......ohhhh...wow.......particles now ....using...and directing force to accomplish a cohesive participation in the construct of a motile computor......for...?

YouSir

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

I can understand why hawking feels this way.

he exchanged his youth and his body for a wicked intellect.

however,

it seems more and more he is only a bitter old man, pissed at god, and able to compose books on the subject.

Not sure I wouldnt be in the same boat if I were as messed up as he.

Never the less, I disagree with him entirely as of his later "ideas".

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

"he exchanged his youth and his body for a wicked intellect"

Seriously? Please clarify how he exchanged his youth and body for a wicked intellect?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
It is alright Mr. Hawking. Never mind the haters. You have made the whole world think about ourselves differently. I appreciate your contribution to humanity.

I am a supporter of a great mind. He is looking for logical answers for the meaning of life and the answers we all want.
edit on 12-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

I would like to know if paralysis victim Hawking takes
the terrible protocol of meds for his terminal condition
and likely this explains his seeing Little Green Men
and suddenly making pronouncements on the location
of Heaven.:-[

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowZion

most the things you say creationists should thank God for e.g aids, hiv etc... all of these things would not have happened had man not lost his faith, hiv and aids are one and the same or the occur within each other, we are lead to believe that a man mated with a primate to create hiv and for whatever reason it spread.

probable cause and reason for this could have been the theory of evolution. a man was lead to believe that he and ape were one and the same, so he went along and said hey your a monkey, im a monkey and in the words of marvin gaye "lets get it on" - disturbing as it may be but i believe that is one possible theory for those two.

birth defects are mainly caused because the parent of the child is inhaling fumes (man made fumes) that cause defects to occur and alot of the other diseases only are here because of radiation being so close to us, from our phones, from our computers and from nearly all electronic devices.

and please just look at my sig

I agree 1000% with the guy you were replying to, and -1000% to what you just said.

Your logic is holding humanity in a bind.

And what a lame signature, relating the amazing experiences of '___' to god, '___' is above god, because whatever you believe it creates, be it god, aliens, whatever.

Someone needs to stop following the crowd.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by misterbananas
I don't believe in god, I don't have faith, I don't have a soul, I don't think anyone has a soul, it all sounds like children's games to me, I personally don't see how god can exist, and everyone has their own beliefs so why is he being denounced for not believing in God, if everyone knew how many people don't believe in anything than they wouldn't do this. just what I think. (I'm pretty sure we are talking about how he doesn't believe in god, from what I remember from the post that's what it was, if not ill edit this.)

I worry about Hawkings, first his retreat from past Black Hole Theory, then conversing about Space Aliens, a disastrous detour into philosophy in his latest book, then Hawkings concludes with assurances on the status of Heaven. This makes all atheists and agnostics look opaque and silly.
edit on 13-6-2011 by FlyingSkullOfDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
reply to post by Nikola014

I can understand why hawking feels this way.

he exchanged his youth and his body for a wicked intellect.

however,

it seems more and more he is only a bitter old man, pissed at god, and able to compose books on the subject.

Not sure I wouldnt be in the same boat if I were as messed up as he.

Never the less, I disagree with him entirely as of his later "ideas".

So it is okay for smart people to disbelieve of god, and it is okay with stupid people to believe in god?

I think we actually see eye to eye on something

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodIsPissed
There is proof of intelligent design all around you and even in you.Ever look in a microscope and see all those tiny microscopic machines working together to keep the body functioning?

People who say we are alone in the universe are blind or in denial.

Honestly who cares what Steven Hawkings says?His guess is as good as anyone's.And just because you give a scientific explanation for it doesn't mean there isn't some other force at work!

peace

Dark Matter dominates the dynamics of our exquisite universe. This leads to the inference that some form of invisible mass is Non Physical, and NON TESTABLE.... If it cannot be TESTED, then you cannot provide any EVIDENCE.... The Evidence for ID is that the Cosmos exhibits specified complexity and hyperintricate fine tuning that infer it was produced by an intelligent Design....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra.EXE
its about godamn time we emphasize on steven hawkings narrow dogmatic view & also those in the other scientific community that believe 'if science cant explain it, i cannot be true.' i cant believe it took so long for people to recognize this.

In his sadly decayed brain, poor Steve now ascribes to Space Aliens the hypercomplex Design which he wishes to deny to God, going so far as to somehow assure us there is no Heaven. Just as Lewis Carroll's Alice fell down the rabbit hole and was soon tilting with the Red Queen, so Steve Hawking fell down a Black Hole for 2 decades and now we find him...tilting with Space Aliens....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by Amaterasu

Negative, two identical people will not behave identically because their environment and experiences will differ either only just so slightly or incredibly.
Like I said. [smile]

You refer to quantum mechanics, could you please elaborate on which points of quantum mechanics you feel support the notion of free-will? I would also like it if you provided your own definition for what you believe free-will is.

I would place it in the realm of the Consciousness/manifestation link. Clearly there is more to Consciousness than a "spark" that just sits there and is. It affects the wave function, collapsing it. And in that I see a directive force, a creative force, a free will "window." A window wherein the motives of the Mind manifest.

When I have said "magical free will" I was referring to the notion that there is some god-given immaterial driving force behind each individual lump of cells that is the "real you" capable of independent decision making and experiences while disregarding physical properties. This is not the case.

Hmmm. Well, since I see "God" as all Consciousness co-creating the Now, I see all Consciousness as "God." And so... Free will is the essence of which We are "made." It is that which Each manifests. Now, regardless of free will, We Each are capable of responding to elements in the co-creation, and are structured such that some of that is unpleasant if We don't have the control of Our will (which most of Us don't ) necessary to overcome personally the afflictions We might encounter. (And free will is all ABOUT making decisions... The ability to choose (decide) is the root of free will.)

Regardless, if you feel that there is magical free will arising out of probability factors from quantum switches, then that is also illogical.

Never said anything about switches... So I don't feel this.

If I make a random number generator on my computer that has specific actions tied to specific numbers, does that the mean the RNG is exercising free-will?

Nope. Because there is no power to choose. Either the machine is instructed to react or not. Humans can be instructed and still choose other paths than what They were given in instruction sets.

And if You believe the "many worlds" physics, I guess We make all choices, but I tend to believe that this is a wrong view. If the "many worlds" physics is correct, I would say that the universe splits infinitely at or less than Plank time...

Whenever a wave function is collapsed by Consciousness a "choice" has been made by the particles. And each particle has an infinite number of options (regardless of where the likelihood of its being is). Ergo, infinite worlds created virtually always. Also... There is the quantum "foam." The virtual particles that spring into being and then annihilate one another are virtually infinite (if not truly infinite) in the placement and form they might come in. Again, all places and combinations are possible, and so again the universe would have to be splitting infinitely at or less than Plank time.

Well... I guess it's possible that these infinities of possible worlds really do occur, but I'm doubtful of it.
edit on 6/13/2011 by Amaterasu because: clarity

edit on 6/13/2011 by Amaterasu because: formatting

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

No one knows what this shebang called reality we all seem to be involved is really is..

So just trust your direct experience and rely less on someone else's bogus ideology, be it religion or science.. neither is worthy of accounting for the great richness of experience out there
edit on 13-6-2011 by falseveils because: lulz

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSkullOfDeath
Dark Matter dominates the dynamics of our exquisite universe. This leads to the inference that some form of invisible mass is Non Physical, and NON TESTABLE.... If it cannot be TESTED, then you cannot provide any EVIDENCE.... The Evidence for ID is that the Cosmos exhibits specified complexity and hyperintricate fine tuning that infer it was produced by an intelligent Design....

I would point out that fractals can exhibit complexity and hyperintricate fine tuning. The idea that the universe developed from a seed set along fractal lines would explain the complexity and fine tuning... Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It's only a matter of time before we can finally state as absolute fact that there is no God.

Well... I would say that depends on One's definition of "God." If it is something NOT-Us - an old man, a cosmic muffin, whatever - then it is merely another Being with greater tech and power.

If, on the other hand, One defines "God" as Consciousness - co-creating Now - then I would say there IS God. Each of Us is God. All things are God, possessing some level of Consciousness, whether it be merely an eternal awareness of "rock-ness" and nothing else (for example), or actively engaged in the co-creation as We are.

If One takes a NOT-Us view of God, I'm guessing that "God" will be disproven. If, on the other hand, One takes Consciousness as God... I'm betting proof will be forthcoming. [smile]

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Does being a biological machine mean energy not yet percieved by mainstream science doesnt count? Im just saying there is many things still to be learnt about humans in todays science, the fact electrical functions in the brain can cause actions does not mean that is the reason the action took place, its just a possibility. Im not religious by the way, I just see a lot of scientists who say they need absolute proof yet go with the most plausible theories which is not proven.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
When people make these kind of statements, it always seems to me that there is a certain element of absurdity present. One robot says to another, "Hey, don't you realize we're just robots!?" The statement itself invites further investigation into the situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join