It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicist Stephen Hawking denounced for believing...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldave

Originally posted by liejunkie01
It is alright Mr. Hawking. Never mind the haters. You have made the whole world think about ourselves differently. I appreciate your contribution to humanity.

I am a supporter of a great mind. He is looking for logical answers for the meaning of life and the answers we all want.
edit on 12-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

Star for you man...

Couldn't have said it better...

This guy is amazing to 'say the least'...

Go against the grain till' the end...

Ummmm that's a little more than just going against "the grain" That's going against a whole lot of science. Peer reviewed, fact based, honest to goodness science! I'm sure most of us here would agree that this man Has indeed made invaluable contributions in his field... But this talk lately of aliens and such... It's just not him. It's...just...not...him. Could be he's just getting old, but that's boring. I'd rather believe he was kidnapped,cloned, murdered and replaced... Now we got a story!
Sound crazy? Maybe but let me ask you this... Do you believe the technology exists to do this? Wasn't it like 15 years ago they cloned Dolly the sheep? And that was publicly known... All I can say is if someone can get away with something chances are they will do it. I've heard wilder tales...Or maybe they just hacked into his wheelchair and now control everything he says as well as drive the chair for him. Since he can't speak noone knows the difference...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I dont understand why what Mr Hawking says cannot be Understood in a spiritual sense. Yes we all are machines with no free will. But I believe that our essence is not only the one that wee see and experience in this reality but we have had a presence in reality since the universe begon. Our Body and our memories are the only things that allows us to continue to evolve and adapt to new changes. Everyone us are the same. Even tho we have egos and individuality we all go back to the same source otherwise we would not be able to talk to each other in the same time or space. Yes everything is written and determined our time path in this reality is not only pre determined in a biological sense i think that our biology is just a micro mirror of what is really in control. We change according to experiences in our personal environment. You can say the the environment is the mirror that lets us see the change and helps us relise what we need to change. this change happen with our full knowledge or not.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
wow,

what is joy and what is happiness?

what is the difference?

no need to google the greek terms.

but go ahead.

joy comes from within the body, happiness is without of the body.

why would we have joy?

my dog loves when we play, that is happiness.

i can project/feel that she loves to be here, that is joy. you people have pets? it goes beyond toys and security.

that's why i dropped my catholic background and now i am an Independent with free will as i was taught.

going hard on the free will.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The idea of pre-destiny did not originate with modern science; in-fact it is a concept that originated in Islamic metaphysics. One of the early tenets of Islam was a belief in pre-destiny.
So the concept is not restricted to the materialistic scientists.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ZackMorris

I'd rather believe he was kidnapped,cloned, murdered and replaced... Now we got a story! Sound crazy? Maybe but let me ask you this... Do you believe the technology exists to do this?

You are on to something......... You should take the time to do a good thread on the possibility of Hawking being a clone. I think it would be a good read....I have heard(read) worse conspiracies around here....

edit on 12-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: grammar

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ZackMorris

LMAO!!!! hahahahahahaahha "hacked his wheelchair" hahahahaha!

oh, wow. i haven't laughed that hard in a long time. that came out of the blue. bravo!

one has only to read up on near death experiences, and the staggering number of them, to know that we are more than our physical bodies.

btw. quantum physics isn't all correct, it is only formulas and concepts that reflect our most recent knowledge of how the universe works.

einstein said it best "god does not play with dice" the inherent randomness that is quantum physics isn't possible. nothing is random.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

NaturalNews.com..

Oh boy, here we go

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

LMAO!!!! hahahahahahaahha "hacked his wheelchair" hahahahaha!

oh, wow. i haven't laughed that hard in a long time. that came out of the blue. bravo!

I laughed too and that definitely earned him a star.

But really, could it happen? It is a computer.

edit on 12-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ,

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Baby Seal Club

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Nikola014

Actually I think that Hawking is a bitter old man who wants to see his handicap as proof that there is no god. He's lashing out like a spoiled child that didn't get their way on the playground.

As a poster said, the universe is not deterministic but Hawking is bitterly trying to make it so.

i thought about that but can't see that mind saying that.

he is not forced to do anything, can he be a whack job? maybe.

he's sure to have issues, but hell, i wouldn't mind having some of his issues.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

no. he has a disability, but if it were hacked, he would realize it and communicate it.

if you have such a severe disability, you either turn to god to find a grand purpose, or decide everything is meaningless. both are coping mechanisms. but personally, i'll side with there being a god.

edit on 12-6-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: edited to be more pc

edit on 12-6-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
einstein said it best "god does not play with dice" the inherent randomness that is quantum physics isn't possible. nothing is random.

The observed randomness IS the free will. And we can influence it!

If two outcomes are equally probable then from a god perspective they both happen. From the frog perspective we CHOOSE which one of the two to observe (and in which one of the universes will from now on be our reality (our lower dimensional subspace of the total reality)) at the very moment of LOOKING at it.

The wave function actually does never collapse at all, what looks to us like the wave function collapse is actually how it must look like when the observer is moving along and taking one branch while letting go the other. The superposition still exists, we only switch to one of the two possible projections of it into the lower dimensional space that is our "reality".

The entire Universe (as seen from the god perspective) is stateless, timeless and static, like a giant well defined mathematical object. And we are *actively* MOVING through it along a vast number of possible paths, creating the illusion of change around us. We are responsible for the randomness we observe, WE are deciding which part of the universe we are moving into. This is the manifestation of free will.

edit on 12-6-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Observer99 and Somehumanbeing are absolutely brilliant - they both have incredible opposing arguments - I might have to save them for later rereading

Personally, I have not read Stephen Hawkings book but I have to wonder if this Mike Adams isn't taking it the wrong way (or even out of context). I don't think the fact that we are biologically driven excludes the possibility of free will - I think we first have to define what exactly free will is.

Finally, regardless of Hawkings personal bias or flaws, its still just a theory. In 1979 he published a paper on Black Holes that was in 1980 (pretty much immediately after) being taught as fact. In 2004 he proved his own theory wrong... what does that tell you?

Humans and science and even religion, have a tendency to evolve, every "theory" is just one more facet to consider in the grand diamond that is "existance".

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

probability is an illusion itself. everything that happens would have always happened. think of time like a movie, no matter how many times you watch a movie, it will happen exactly the same way. we are only a 3D movie moving through a 4th dimension, not a 2D picture moving through a third dimension.

probability attempts to put a leash on reality, where the probability of something happening doesn't effect the actual event.

you're presupposition is flawed simply because probability does not exist. or rather, doesn't effect particles. both things don't happen, only one would have always happened.

it has to do with how dimensions work. time is a physical place. past, present, and future are a long rectangle. "present" is the frame we exist in. time for every dimension is the one directly above it, or more sideways, however you choose to view it.

if there is a multiverse, it is made of the exact same universe infinitesimally close to one another.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What Hawking says is pretty sensible. You are the outcome of a biological computing process. The program you run is written partly by evolution and partly by imprinting of experiences. There is no magic or soul ingredient. Just awesome complexity.

The choices we make are us executing our program and we are continually modified by feedback.

Understanding this does not in any way devalue us as individuals. We are all different in practice and we are different at different points in our lives. The 18 year old you is not the same as the 28 year old you.

The creator myth should be redundant at this point. There seems to be come confusion that not believing in god makes you an anarchist in favour of behaving like a barbarian. Religions usually contain some elements of useful wisdom (they were founded by people after all) but its mixed in with all sorts of toxic crap. The way forward is humanism. Keep the accumulated wisdom, dump the mumbo jumbo.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

how would you explain "near death experiences"?

the one i'm particularly thinking of, is a woman who was killed (zero brainwave activity) by doctors so that they could drain most of her blood and fix a brain aneurism. after they fixed it and revived her, she said she was floating above her body and told the doctors what they had done to her in detail. zero brain activity means no physical memory creation.

what more proof do you need of a "soul"? how could you get anymore? shes either lying, or telling the truth, and her specific knowledge of what they did rules out lying. it would be impossible if we are only biological machines.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Just ramblings of a madman deluded from years of disease and unfounded 'fame' based on nothing but unproven hypothesis and flaunted theories.
Just ignore this retard and lets focus our minds onto people who have experienced actual events such as time-slips, EVP, Lucid Dreaming, OBE, and similar associated phenomenon. People like Hawkings or Michio Kaku either want to impose their own set agenda upon the world by believing their 'followers' will lap up every word just because they somehow think that in formulating some ballsed-up mathematic theory they are 'god' themselves. This is nothing more than Cult leadership style of behaviour and isn't what science should be, or is, about.

The best I can say is turn the other cheek, if this attention whore comes up with another "woe is me" article then just turn the page. This idiot will see soon enough wether there is eternal binding darkness to which there's no infinite consciousness, or if he meets his maker and explains why he just sh.t on his lawn, or if he even gets reincarnated as a butterfly. He'll soon see.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Oh the irony is strong in this one

So wait, religious people believe it's all "god's will", yet they accuse atheists of being against free will? Really?

Also, you can't disprove science with philosophy. Scientific facts clearly show that the global flood never happened for example, and no amount of philosophy can change that

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

In defense of the bible - it doesn't use the word global

it was a great flood intended to wipe out a specific breed of people

in biblical times, the floods in Haiti, Indonesia, and Japan would totally qualify - the death tolls were most certainly on a biblical scale - we just don't see it that way cause HEY we still got 6.5 billion people left, we can spare them

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Well, if it was a global flood (which would make sense), the whole "2 of each kind" statement is complete and utter nonsense...

The bible is only proof of what people back then BELIEVED to be true, it isn't an accurate representation of facts...especially in the absence of supporting objective evidence.

According to that silly documentary, requiring objective evidence and facts obviously leads to being "denounced" and "soulless"

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I tend to think near death experiences are a product of the brain misfiring as it shuts down. What happens in those final moments is probably influenced by what you expect to happen as the brain would be working with your existing experiences and mental model.

All these NDE cases tend to be the case that allows a slow shutdown in function. If I smashed your brain apart instantly with a .50 shell I doubt the same would occur.

As for the example in question I don't believe it. Its likely the woman knew what the procedure was going to be (it would be explained by the doctors) and her mind simply filled in the blanks. The imagination is a powerful thing. I don't doubt her sincerity I don't believe she was hovering above herself somehow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join