It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are paedophile acts by priests emphasised and others ignored?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

I don't think its a wise thing to blame a whole religion because of the actions of a few...and that goes for all religions.

But the actions of the leadership of a religious organization , can do much harm and damage, and turn many away .

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by Segenam

I don't think its a wise thing to blame a whole religion because of the actions of a few...and that goes for all religions.

Blame a whole religion ? ... I think you misunderstood me

Ahhh ... Apologies ... I think it's me who mis-understood you Gabby ...
You were agreeing with me ... Right ... I thought that you thought that .. erm ... you know ...

edit on 12-6-2011 by Segenam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

yep.. I was totally agreeing with you , and I know many nice christian people who catch a lot of flack for the actions of others.

Besides being Christian doesn't mean to me that you are a totally good person .It means that you realize that you are not perfect , and are in need of grace, but are seriously working on your short comings.

That being said though , anyone who allows a known pedophile , to go to another location , and begin teaching on behalf of God, knowing full well this person could ,and will most likely abuse children again , is not acting in the best interests of the children. This is why I see the catholic church as being much guiltier than other organizations. If other organizations are covering it up..they are guilty as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by Vicky32

I don't think it's so much a double standard...the reason people are more shocked when a priest does something like this is because when a priest does it, then it's both a horrific act of sexual abuse, AND an act of incredible religious hypocrisy. Considering that the Catholic Church is so sexually repressed that they still will not even give their OK of condom use, it's amazingly shocking when a priest commits an act that is perhaps the most reprehensible sexual crime one can imagine. When some guy who works at a 7-11 rapes a child, it's horrifying but not exactly shocking...but when a priest from a Church that publicly condemns modern society as being sinfully sexual does it, the hypocrisy of the act is astounding.
edit on 12-6-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: added a few word to make a sentence read slightly better

And yet you know that despite the screamer headlines, proven there are fewer than 2% of all priests worldwide who have even been accused, right?
Last time I looked, other than in American cop shows on TV, and when it involves Muslims, and priests - accusation is not proof! Right?
An interesting site
Some statistics and facts

It's also not just those that are accused but it's the very real evidence that the Catholic Church has tried to protect these priests from the law that has gotten people up in arms.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

It's also not just those that are accused but it's the very real evidence that the Catholic Church has tried to protect these priests from the law that has gotten people up in arms.

Exactly one of the main points bhornbuckle.

Makes me wonder how Vicky would cope with one of her sons (if she had one that was an alter boy) , who attempted suicide because of all the shame ,and guilt he felt from being sexually abused by his parish priest. The fear of ridicule, as well as the fear of what the priest and his cohorts might do if the little secret ever got out.

Then lets say, Vicky decides to pursue this horrendous act of manipulating a child , and press charges , as well as get this parish priest out of her beloved parish community. I wonder how Vicky would handle the situation.

edit on 14-6-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Makes me wonder how Vicky would cope with one of her sons (if she had one that was an alter (sic) boy) , who attempted suicide because of all the shame ,and guilt he felt from being sexually abused by his parish priest. The fear of ridicule, as well as the fear of what the priest and his cohorts might do if the little secret ever got out.

Then lets say, Vicky decides to pursue this horrendous act of manipulating a child , and press charges , as well as get this parish priest out of her beloved parish community. I wonder how Vicky would handle the situation.

I have 3 sons and they are all grown up. The middle one was raised by his atheist druggie alcoholic father - the latter two characteristics would, in a sane world, prevent his getting custody, but meh, it's not a sane world. The physical and psychological abuse he suffered from his solo daddy's new girlfriend and her (mostly grown) children, was as bad as or worse than anything a priest could have done if, as in your fantasy world, priests actually did bugger altar boys as a matter of course...
The youngest one opted out of church at an early age, and I don't believe in making people go to church if they don't want to, so again meh...
However, the extent to which these things were covered up and denied has of course been exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness.
If you read the original link, you'll see that the married school teacher who is the subject of the story, and his crazy wife, got away with their actions for decades. When they were caught, he was allowed to resign with his reputation intact, in fact, with all sorts of praise for his abilities. How is that any different?
edit on 15/6/11 by Vicky32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Because the perpetual lie of Religion being based on fact needs to be accounted for by holding these morons
to a standard that is high and publicized.

People, children and the helpless turn to religion for help in the 11th hour. The last thing they need is
some old pedo tickling their undercarriage in the name of god.

I think the penalties are far too low for these people. Death should be administered without hesitation.

edit on 15-6-2011 by testtubebaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
That story is very sad as well, but that does not take away the fact that many priests have been guilty of the same.

Any child suffering the emotional side of sexual abuse from any person in a respected position is not good, and for the perpetrators to not be held accountable clearly sends a wrong message.

Your argument seems to be that because it happens in within other realms of society ,that is reason to believe that priests are not as guilty as we seem to think they are. They are guilty,they have been guilty, in great numbers, and they have been protected for many many decades. You need to accept that fact, and quit backing their lack of accountability.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by testtubebaby
Because the perpetual lie of Religion being based on fact needs to be accounted for by holding these morons
to a standard that is high and publicized.

People, children and the helpless turn to religion for help in the 11th hour. The last thing they need is
some old pedo tickling their undercarriage in the name of god.

I think the penalties are far too low for these people. Death should be administered without hesitation.

edit on 15-6-2011 by testtubebaby because: (no reason given)

Oh so American of you! Let's kill, kill and kill some more, not enough blood yet, I want to see guts, men! What sicko...
You're a troll. I should not have answered you. Shame on you for advocating murder, shame on ,me for wasting my time trying to reason with you.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Oh so American of you! Let's kill, kill and kill some more, not enough blood yet, I want to see guts, men! What sicko...

lol..another american generalization. Do you realize that other countries kill as well ? They also have blood and guts ,and gore in their films. Do you realize how many americans are against war? or against killing of any kind?

Do you realize how many americans you offend, by painting them ALL with one brush?

Also many people react very emotionally when thinking of pedophile abuse by priests, or anyone for that matter. Words are said out of frustration ,and emotion.
edit on 15-6-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by testtubebaby

Perhaps death is a little over the top; but it's certainly a crime that calls out for punishment.

We certainly don't need this:-

In 2001, while he was a cardinal, he issued a secret Vatican edict to Catholic bishops all over the world, instructing them to put the Church's interests ahead of child safety.

The document recommended that rather than reporting sexual abuse to the relevant legal authorities, bishops should encourage the victim, witnesses and perpetrator not to talk about it. And, to keep victims quiet, it threatened that if they repeat the allegations they would be excommunicated.

I very much agree with this statement within the article made by an ex-Vatican lawyer:-

"What you have here is an explicit written policy to cover up cases of child sexual abuse by the clergy and to punish those who would call attention to these crimes by the churchmen."

"When abusive priests are discovered, the response has been not to investigate and prosecute but to move them from one place to another. So there's total disregard for the victims and for the fact that you are going to have a whole new crop of victims in the next place. This is happening all over the world."

SOURCE: www.thisislondon.co.uk...

Again, it's the crime that calls for punishment, a crime that calls for action to be taken. This should apply to the non-religious as well as the religious.

S+F for attention.
edit on 18/6/11 by AtheistAnonym because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join