It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. underwrites Internet detour around censors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

U.S. underwrites Internet detour around censors

www.mercurynews.com

The Obama administration is leading a global effort to deploy "shadow" Internet and mobile phone systems that dissidents can use to undermine repressive governments that seek to silence them by censoring or shutting down telecommunications networks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It's financed with a $2million State Department grant. It's Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, whose department is heading the U.S. effort.
It includes projects that create independent cellphone networks, that link to the Internet, so communication can happen outside "repressive government" communication.

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: fixed

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Ok this is rather shocking? We(The US) are actively creating stealth internet connections? This tech is a Hackers wet dream! Imagine what you could do with a stealth internet connection on a free wireless network!!

Great Find!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Thanks for the reply!
I don't feel it as a positive thing, just not sure how to word my feelings as of yet. Though... I feel it just seems, dangerous, more than what MSM is willing to express. The danger seems to outweigh the said Govs positives.
Am waiting to read more press details and presented facts, unless it's going unnoticed...
edit on 12-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: edits

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

The reason for that, is to have a back up system when some brilliant freaks decide to test their code.
I know the general consensus points otherwise,

Yet , I will reflect counterpoint and disclose.

Someone is looking out for you. Kind of like a Guardian Angel. "Der Redende Engel"

Notice the recent change in policy. We are off to a good start.
Best , Wildmanimal

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Well that is certainly thinking not only "Outside of The Box," but creatively as well.

Just remember, that their are some screwy folks in the world who would like to exploit our openminded

ideas, for their own closeminded aims. Give them "No Quarter" under any circumstances.

Thanks for making me think harder for a moment. Best to you all and ATS .

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
just wondering...

who will be creating the backup internet when obama pulls his internet killswitch?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I smell disinfo here - the USA does not have free press. If we had free press, I could then gain a glimmer of hope. This article is aimed at the sheeple who are starting to hear discontent from the crowd demanding that the Internet Is not censored. This is designed for the sheeple - a reassurance that your government of course has your best interests at heart.
Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I'm not sure I understand why any government would support this idea? Govts are all about controlling channels of communication aren't they?

If the US somehow supplied 'internet in a suitcase' that came with a means for them to monitor the traffic, I can understand that. It makes predictable sense. On the other hand, how many organised dissidents would trust the US? What if a 9/11 was planned and executed using this tech? Checks and balances would need to be built-in.

If the technology was truly 'clean,' we'd actually have a tool for freedom of speech that would be wholly against the modus operandi of every leader in the world. Freedom of speech, democracy and the right to protest is practically illusory and conditional on their terms imo. This 'suitcase' would potentially undermine all that or am I reading it all wrong?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I think the purpose is so that the US can communicate with foreign informants and have them post fake information about uprisings so the US can justify going to war in those countries.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
3 thoughts come to mind:

1 - are we talking about the same Hillary Clinton that, in order to gain votes to become senator, promised to vote no to a non-existent bill to tax email?

2 - As posted above about not having a free press in the US, isn't it wonderful that we have to check ATS or other news sites in other countries to find out what's really happening in the world or outside of it?

3 - will we be able to use this technology here in the US to communicate around a repressive government?

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth. Thanks for reading!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Aha. Well, here's the answer to the question we're all asking ourselves:

"There is a historic opportunity to effect positive change -- change America supports," she [Clinton] said. "So we're focused on helping them do that, on helping them talk to each other, to their communities, to their governments and to the world."

Presumably when the shoe is on the other foot--that is, when American patriots are in the position that they need such technology--"change America supports" will no longer apply. It will be terrorist technology.

Which tells us 2 more things: The equipment has built-in back doors that our own government can exploit, and a plug that can be pulled should the need arise.

I think we need to continue to make other "secret internet" plans of our own....

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Aha. Well, here's the answer to the question we're all asking ourselves:

"There is a historic opportunity to effect positive change -- change America supports," she [Clinton] said. "So we're focused on helping them do that, on helping them talk to each other, to their communities, to their governments and to the world."

Presumably when the shoe is on the other foot--that is, when American patriots are in the position that they need such technology--"change America supports" will no longer apply. It will be terrorist technology.

Which tells us 2 more things: The equipment has built-in back doors that our own government can exploit, and a plug that can be pulled should the need arise.

I think we need to continue to make other "secret internet" plans of our own....

Yeah, what you said. When it comes to us, if the people consider our government repressive, will another nation give us an "internet in a suitcase?". Doubtful. And I agree, it's for the sheeple so they can revel in the "democracy".

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Not hard.
Intercept DNS request, determine target host, re-route and return target host through proxy route.

And people wonder why the US doesn't want to give up ICANN.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
And as soon as that same tech gets in the hands of the wrong people, it is game on.
This is going to escalate faster than the proverbial poo can roll down hill.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

a global effort to deploy "shadow" Internet and mobile phone systems that dissidents can use

Seems almost noble on the surface, but probably a way to keep their communications in a 'bubble' that can be monitored/manipulated and to keep that information from getting out elsewhere IMO.

In these times where social programs here in the states are facing sharp cuts, it's nice to know that we have virtually unlimited funding for others' so-called benefits with 'we the people' having little to no say in any of the matters. (sarcasm)

Gosh, I miss my sideband CB radio sometimes.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well if there was any doubt that there was indeed a shadow govenment at work behind the scenes in the uprisings in Egypt, and Libya, this bit of news clinches it.

This further lends credence to the recent revelations about the underground world of computer hackers having been so thoroughly infiltrated in the US by the FBI, and other alphabet agencies.

new topics

top topics

join