It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Threatens Violence For Taking Video

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
An officer with the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority threatens violence just for filming him after a fight broke out in downtown Buffalo.

There is a video of the incident that occurred June 02, 2011 , and I will provide a link. It does contain harsh language so you have been warned.

www.youtube.com...

In the video it shows that he says his comments are "not as a police officer, but as a person."

If he is armed, in uniform and providing a service as a peace office, does he actually believe this exonerates him in any way? Sure, this is not a case of police brutality, but it does show the audacity some officers have when given power over average citizens. Are we not allowed to record the actions of public employees on public property?

I ask you to make your own judgment.

Youtube

edit on 11-6-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: fix link

edit on 11-6-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jun 12 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: changed video to link, changed title, due to profanity. Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Link not working

Nevermind I have it now...interesting vid but some places it is against the law to film (Illinois) and some places it isn't. Just have to follow whatever the law is.
edit on 11-6-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

The immortal words of John Stossel.........................

I believe in the right to privacy.

Yet I can think of someone who deserves very little privacy — a policeman making an arrest. Unfortunately, in some states it’s a crime to make a video of a policeman doing just that. People recording police have been threatened, detained or arrested. Some were jailed overnight.

That’s wrong. Police work for the public, they’re paid with tax money, and most importantly, they have tremendous power. They’ve got the legal right to pull guns, detain us, lock us up and, in some cases, shoot us. The potential for abuse is great. So it’s a good thing that modern video cameras are now so commonplace. Any abuse of police power in a public place is likely to be recorded. Why should that be a crime in some states........?

LINK

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Good work officer,nobody likes to have their privacy invaded.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
From what I understand, it may be illegal.......does that constitute a physical threat? I think not.

A well-trained officer would handle this in a respectful manner, and would educate the person on the law. Not threaten this person "as a person".

I'm all about giving the police slack, but this is blatant arrogance.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

There is no privacy in the public square. Much less for a police officer on duty.

He needs to be brought to court for his threats.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Typical chest puffing, tough talking little boy. I doubt he would have the balls to say something like that if he wasn't able to hide behind a tin badge and have a gun on his hip. I hope his dog bites him.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Cameras are slowly taking away peoples freedoms.The cop obviously felt the same way.When everywhere you look ,someone has a video pointed at you,you get angry.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

An average citizen can be brought up on charges for making threats to cause bodily harm.

Should we allow officers to get away with something we couldn't in our wildest dreams?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If you dont want your picture taken turn in your badge and go work from your house with your blinds closed

I have to worry about my picture being taken every time I enter a store or drive through an intersection. Guess the "patriot act" "if I have nothing to hide than I dont care" mentality goes out the window when your dealing with the PoPo

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Cameras are slowly taking away peoples freedoms.The cop obviously felt the same way.When everywhere you look ,someone has a video pointed at you,you get angry.

A public servant's "freedom" takes second place to the freedoms of the public they serve. If he were off-duty... well, he still wouldn't have any room to complain (public square, and all) but this sieve of an argument would hold a little more water.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

I might not like the fact that someone is videotaping me, but I wonder what my boss would say if I told him I would "break his f'n face" because he has cameras all over the workplace.

It doesn't jive with me, it doesn't jive for this officer.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle

are you serious? unless you live in a very remote, rural area you are on THEIR cameras within minutes of leaving your door every morning. if it's okay for them to monitor and record you, you should be able to do the same for them.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I think I would meet him at the station house with a camera crew after he was off duty and "as a person" give him his golden opportunity.
If he is off duty and is willing to make the same claim, I would defend myself to the best of my ability.
This cop is just a scared, badged, bully.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
If he is an officer, in a public place, currently on duty (and no state laws or local ordinances say differently), he has ZERO expectation of privacy and can be visually and audio recorded.

Not a smart move by the officer no matter what the case.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is the problem.

The public is so babied and pathetic that now threats are against the law.

Who cares if someone say something. Race, Sex now violence.

What the HELL?

ITs only words. We the people seem to bring all this crap on ourselves.

Complaining about every damn thing.

The cop did not do anything except speak.

Threats are nothing. People are just whiny little maggots these days. And this is coming from someone who
HATES cops with a passion.

People need to grow up.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Did that moron think he was only taking photographs?

"If you take my picture again..."

Stupid pig didn't realise he was being videod.

That is unprofessional behaviour, threatening bodily harm and intimidation. If any worker in any place of employment walked up to a pedestrian and threatened to bash their face in, they'd get the sack, no matter the reason.

But then, aren't they required qualities to become a cop?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by testtubebaby

Try your theory out. Walk up to a police officer on duty, and threaten him - as a person - in any manner.

See what it gets you, for being nothing.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

If you were working at a local restaurant and you did this, would you still have your job?

If you were working at any retail establishment and you did this, would you still have your job?

Insert job here and you did this, would you still have your job?

Maybe, possibly, depends. I'm not calling for this guy to get fired, but as a public servant, making a threat to someone posing no immediate risk is grounds for review.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

He only spoke but he has the power to follow through and get away with it!

Big difference than a simple freedom of speech argument. You try that and let me know how it goes!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join