It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin is a magnetar? A black hole that didn't make it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
No event horizon. But still very dense. Small, 16-20km.

Give a good chit chat. --And have a nice day.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

Care to elaborate? I would be interested to hear more...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have a question. if it really does hit us what happens, being it isnt a black hole?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Sure why not.
It could be anything besides just a Comet as long as we are speculating................

but I would imagine the X-rays and gamma rays that it would be giving of would be pretty noticeable

A magnetar is a type of neutron star with an extremely powerful magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma rays.[1] The theory regarding these objects was proposed by Robert Duncan and Christopher Thompson in 1992, but the first recorded burst of gamma rays thought to have been from a magnetar was detected on March 5, 1979.[2] During the following decade, the magnetar hypothesis has become widely accepted as a likely explanation for soft gamma repeaters (SGRs) and anomalous X-ray pulsars
en.wikipedia.org...

So I'm going to have to say NO it's not a Magnetar.
edit on 11-6-2011 by ELahrairah because: fire ants

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
Sure why not.
It could be anything besides just a Comet as long as we are speculating................

but I would imagine the X-rays and gamma rays that it would be giving of would be pretty noticeable

A magnetar is a type of neutron star with an extremely powerful magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma rays.[1] The theory regarding these objects was proposed by Robert Duncan and Christopher Thompson in 1992, but the first recorded burst of gamma rays thought to have been from a magnetar was detected on March 5, 1979.[2] During the following decade, the magnetar hypothesis has become widely accepted as a likely explanation for soft gamma repeaters (SGRs) and anomalous X-ray pulsars
en.wikipedia.org...

So I'm going to have to say NO it's not a Magnetar.
edit on 11-6-2011 by ELahrairah because: fire ants

Well, it's not, it's not, OK then , it's not.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows
No event horizon. But still very dense. Small, 16-20km.

Give a good chit chat. --And have a nice day.

How do you know it is dense?

As for its size, very typical for a cometary body.

Got tired of the brown dwarf argument and started a new, baseless thread?

top topics

join