It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books YOU'd recommend...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The Master and Margrita by Mikhail Bulgakov, great Satire on the old Soviet Union a must.
I would also recommend From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Freidman if you are interested in the Near East.
Another one would be The Invisible Man by HG Wells combine that with Memoirs of an Invisible man by HF Saint.
A few other's would be anything by Robert Ludlum including The Scorpio Illusion and The Bourne series he's a fantastic Spy thriller writer. Lastly I would have to say James Lee Burke novels about Dave Robicheuax are great, Neon Rain is amazing and short as well, In the electric Mist with confederate dead amazing. If you like tough cop mystery novels check him out.
edit on 6/12/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
yes reading is a great way to escape the nightmare amerika has become... I'm envious of anyone who can relax long enough to read a book who isn't incarcerated ha-ha... that being said, the best series ever is The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. it's 4 books and I can't even say anything else.... I don't want to alter your experience in any way. I'll tell you it's sci-fi though :-D

after reading the rest of the thread I'll venture to name 2 more must haves.
Get the Bachman Books! it's one book with 4 stories. Get it!! Geeeet Iiiiit!!!! Doesn't matter if you like horror or stephen king...
Also.... Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson... GET IIIIIT!

edit on 12-6-2011 by ZackMorris because: reluctantly added two more faves

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hey bro, hope you doing good.

'The Secret Teaching of all Ages' by Manly P Hall.

'The Rock of the Gibraltarian's' by Sir William Jackson

Good book.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
"like the flowing river" and "the alchemist".. both by paulo coehlo..
second line

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins

Or anything by John Pilger. One of the last real journalists out there. Hidden Agendas is a great starting point.

And if you ever get bogged down and just want to switch off and return to a simpler time I'd recommend picking up any Roald Dahl book and see everything through innocent eyes again, if only for a couple of hours.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

The Facade by Michael S. Heiser, Ph.D.. www.facadethebook.com...

Fictional story but based off what is happening in real life with our Government and UFOs-Alien fakes and the evil Watchers. Puts an end to the Roswell fake and exposes the Alien false flag.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality -Dean Radin
The Holographic Universe-Michael Talbot
Nightside Series-Simon R Green
Monster- A Lee Martinez
Cosmos-Carl Sagan
An Underground Education-Richard Zacks
How to build a robot army-Daniel H Wilson

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
A few titles worth perusing:

"The Angel's Game" - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
"The Moor's Last Sigh" - Salman Rushdie
"Dubliners" - James Joyce

All are great reads.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The Game by Neil Strauss

People will say that men that read this are male chauvinists, but they don't give it credit that it is a genuinely amusing book. I don't employ the techniques described by the author to "get in the psyche of women" but I believe that all males do use them in a subconscious manner. Strange thing is, is that I be that the technique have a high degree of sucess. A women could come out with a book about how to manipulate males, and it wouldn't be sexist, more like skillfully influencing.

Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce

JK!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I highly recommend 'salt' by mark kurlanski!
it's an amazing history of salt and it will blow you away. mark has a great writing style and is probably my book of the year last year.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
NEAL STEPHENSON! snow crash, diamond age, anathem all amazing fiction.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
hi you guys...i proof read for a large publicist...they forward to me fiction and non-fiction in a particular genre.

i might get in trouble but you guys have to read this new book coming in the fall....i understand the title might be changed...but its about the real names of the pyramids and their function...its such a great read, with a unique insight....its by a Mr Aymen Ibrahim...currently called "the true pyramids".... amazing stuff...a definate read..coming soon...the final edit should be passed to the printing house this summer...

peace
edit on 12-6-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The big of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.

I am not usually into reading "story books" but this one blew me away.
It's a fictional story that shares the travel of one young would-be slave girl's travel from her quaint village in Africa all the way to Newfoundland, Canada.
It jerked a few tears from my eyes. One of the best stories told that I've ever read (:
edit on 12-6-2011 by jonibelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
The Montauk Project: Experiment in Time by Preston B.Nichols

Chronicles the most amazing and secretive research project in recorded history. Starting with the Philadelphia Experiment of 1943, invisibility experiments were conducted aboard the USS Eldridge that resulted in full-scale teleportation of the ship and crew. Forty years of massive research ensued, culminating in bizarre experiments at Montauk Point that actually manipulated time itself. The controversial lectures by Al Bielek on the Montauk Project and the Philadelphia Experiment are similar to the information in this book. The book includes diagrams and photos of the time-travel devices themselves, plus photocopies of documents and schematic diagrams.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
didn't notice my mistype.
The BOOK ** of Negroes.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

You should definitely check out the book 'The Infinite Concept of Cosmic Creation' by Ernest L. Norman.

It is an educational book that is taken from tapes of lectures he gave back in the 50's. He is a psychic medium and channels Higher Souls that have lived on the planet before. It is a very interesting and overwhelming read but I find myself coming to enlightenment still with the lessons that it teaches.

Also check out the 5-book series called, 'The Pulse Creation' by Ernest L. Norman. These books are of the description of the experiences that Ernest L Norman had while astral traveling to "the other side" and talking with many people.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
You should give the following a try - they are interesting if nothing else

- The World Without Us by Alan Weisman (contemplates how the earth would react/recover if humans vanished overnight - very interesting book) Amozon link

-The Atlantis Blueprint by Colin Wilson and Rand Flem-Ath Link

- Sand & Foam by Kahlil Gibran (a book full of motivational quotes that can probably be found on the internet)

- Climbing Mount Improbable by Richard Dawkins

- Grow Fruit by Alan Buckingham (reference book)

- Act of God by Graham Phillips (about Moses and Egypt)

-Mars Mystery by Graham Hancock

-The Giza Power Plant by Christopher Dunn (a bit technical, but a very interesting theory) Amazon link

-Frozen in Time by Michael Oard (about wooly mammoths and the ice-age)

- The Aquatic Ape Hypotheses by Elain Morgan (a different view of human evolution - science based) Link

- Uriel's Machine by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas

- World Without Cancer_The Story of Vitamin B17 by G. Edward Griffin (someone ran off with my copy
) Link

- The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency by John Seymour

- Rhythms of Life by Russel Foster and Leom Kreitzman (about biorythms)

I enjoyed the following fiction books (mostly SF-Fantasy):

-Jhereg by Steven Brust (the whole Taltos Series is amusing) Link

-The Chronicles of Morgaine by C.J. Cherryh Link

- Elf-Defense by Esther Freisner (very humours -- elves vs lawyers) Link

- Magician by Raymond E. Feist

- Golden Witchbreed by Mary Gentle

- All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (Vet Stories)

- The Other World and The Chromeborne by Mercedes Lackey (contemporary elves and fancy racing cars - light entertainment) Link

- Anything by Patricia McKillip - try the Riddlemaster's Game Trilogy.

- Anything Discworld by Terry Pratchet - try Mort or Guards! Guards!

- Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

- Rose of the Prophet Trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

- Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman

- Master of Whitestorm by Janny Wurts

ok - I think I went a bit overboard, but I love books

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Just finished reading Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto. Very eye-opening.

His book, The Underground History of American Education can be read from his website.
www.johntaylorgatto.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
One of the few books I have taken the time to read twice:

The Man Who Was Thursday
A Nightmare

You can download the book for free from that site.

In a surreal turn-of-the-century London, Gabriel Syme, a poet, is recruited to a secret counter-terrorist taskforce at Scotland Yard. Syme persuades Lucian Gregory, an anarchist, to lead him to the local terrorist cell, where he is elected as the cell's representative to the worldwide council of anarchists — the Central Anarchist Council — seven men, each using the name of a day of the week as a code name. His efforts to thwart the council's intentions and oppose all anarchic acts reveal a comical number of unlikely allies. Ultimately, Syme and his fellow champions of order confront the head anarchist, only to find their perception of order and chaos turned completely upside down. The novel's subtitle, "A Nightmare," is a summation of the frightening and increasingly surreal world in which Syme finds himself enmeshed.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndianaOps
Currently ranked HIGH on my Kindle is:

The Armageddon Conspiracy

Along with ALL Stephen King & Ann Rice books

You missed off the author of Armageddon Conspiracy, it's Amado Crowley under the pen name of Mike Hockney.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join