It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy ink cartridges?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Why is it cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy ink cartridges? Because the Govt. benefits from it.

Bought another printer today. 4th one this year. Why?

Printer: $50 with ink

Ink Cartridge: $45-$60

Does this make sense? Absolutely not!

Until you remember that there is also an $18 environmental disposal tax for a printer where I live. So now it makes sense to who? Yup, the Government....again.

Still works out to about the same for me to just get a new printer every time and give $18 to the Govt. for nothing.

Nice way to get even more than the measly 14% HST I already paid when I bought it.

So I pay $50 + $7 (14%) HST + $18 for a total of $75 of which $25 of that goes towards tax. 33%!

Buy that Ink cartridge at $60 + 14% HST = $68.40

Why not just have the new printer. Makes sense for me and the Govt. knows this. Choose that nice new printer and the Govt. gets more cash.

Nice huh?

I know the numbers are different in other provinces and states but I'm guessing that some are very close to the same.

The other issue is all those printers going into the landfills. I thought we were supposed to find ways to cut down on electronics being dumped? Why isn't the Govt. doing its part in this? Take away that disposal tax and then the only thing that will be going into landfills will be cartridges instead of entire printers.

But I guess it's ok to contribute to wastefulness and garbage piles if the Govt. benefits.

ARRGGGHH!!! Can't Win!

edit on 11-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

ARRGGGHH!!! Can't Win!

Actually you can. I have a family member that buys a printer, and then just returns and exchanges it at Wal-Mart when it runs out of ink, getting a new ink caterage AND printer.

Smart lady, and way to stick it to the hogs that charge an arm and leg for ink

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
reply to post by jude11

ARRGGGHH!!! Can't Win!

Actually you can. I have a family member that buys a printer, and then just returns and exchanges it at Wal-Mart when it runs out of ink, getting a new ink caterage AND printer.

Smart lady, and way to stick it to the hogs that charge an arm and leg for ink

I'm all for sticking it to Wal-Mart especially.

Smart Lady!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Depending on what you do with a printer, the two mentioned methods are probably as good as any. Just make sure you uninstall the old printer before installing the new one. Because sooner or later, it WILL cause you problems if you don't.

In my case, I use expensive printers. So it pays me to buy the ink. But I usually buy online and get it much cheaper than retail outlets.

The computer industry as a whole is an elaborate scam. It's shameful the way the industry treats consumers. Printers are just one example.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Depending on what you do with a printer, the two mentioned methods are probably as good as any. Just make sure you uninstall the old printer before installing the new one. Because sooner or later, it WILL cause you problems if you don't.

In my case, I use expensive printers. So it pays me to buy the ink. But I usually buy online and get it much cheaper than retail outlets.

The computer industry as a whole is an elaborate scam. It's shameful the way the industry treats consumers. Printers are just one example.

I use 2 printers. One for my biz (expensive) and one for everyday (disposable)

Printers and ink are one of the biggest scams on consumers these days but many don't see it.

Just waiting for the Bic Disposable Printer to come out.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I know this is from craked but it basically comes down to money

The supplies for printers (such as ink cartridges) make for 90 percent of their profit, and the printer companies aren't willing to let that go quite so easily. Those chips that the printer companies (including HP, Lexmark, Canon and Epson) install on their cartridges also limit the use of aftermarket cartridges.
HP disables certain features on aftermarket ink, while Lexmark blocks it outright. One remanufacturer, Static Control, attempted to make a cartridge that mimicked the use of the "smart chip" that Lexmark puts on its ink, and was subsequently sued by Lexmark for violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

www.cracked.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
I know this is from craked but it basically comes down to money

The supplies for printers (such as ink cartridges) make for 90 percent of their profit, and the printer companies aren't willing to let that go quite so easily. Those chips that the printer companies (including HP, Lexmark, Canon and Epson) install on their cartridges also limit the use of aftermarket cartridges.
HP disables certain features on aftermarket ink, while Lexmark blocks it outright. One remanufacturer, Static Control, attempted to make a cartridge that mimicked the use of the "smart chip" that Lexmark puts on its ink, and was subsequently sued by Lexmark for violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

www.cracked.com...

That makes a lot of sense but even these companies don't make as much profit on a printer as the Govt. does it seems. Or very close to it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think you'll find the disposal tax pays for the old printers to be recycled, not dumped in land fills, this is it;s purpose.

Seccond: Look at the volume of the cartidges which come with a new printer. They are the light user veersions, very little ink.

So check the sums again. work out the cost per ml of the ink when you purchase a printer compared to when you buy cartriges allone - they may be more expensive, but they are better value!

Stop wasting the worlds resources on new printrers, and start buying cartriges dude! You will be better off in the long run, as they contain more ink!!!!!

ETA: Printer ink is the 3rd most expensive liquid on the planet!!!! Buy in bulk to save money.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Its the same with all these companies.. They give you the basic unit for almost nothing then sting you with the extras you need to buy from them. or it renders the original product useless, thats exactly how they make their money.. and its how they have for decades now..

a perfect example of this is the story of Polaroid cameras and how the company declined during the digital era..
Basically they developed camera's for decades that were very popular in that when you took your picture the photograph would come out instantly. they sold millions of these camera's but where they really made their money was selling the expensive film, which you needed, or the camera would be useless.
after digital cameras came on to the market Polaroid camera's became obsolete because you didnt need camera film anymore. most of their business and more importantly profit was gone and they ended up bankrupt.

edit on 11/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There is a business in my town (I Live in a university town) that specializes in refilling ink cartridges
for half the price of what they would sell for in the stores.
I guess the high expense has created a Niche Market.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
I think you'll find the disposal tax pays for the old printers to be recycled, not dumped in land fills, this is it;s purpose.

Seccond: Look at the volume of the cartidges which come with a new printer. They are the light user veersions, very little ink.

So check the sums again. work out the cost per ml of the ink when you purchase a printer compared to when you buy cartriges allone - they may be more expensive, but they are better value!

Stop wasting the worlds resources on new printrers, and start buying cartriges dude! You will be better off in the long run, as they contain more ink!!!!!

ETA: Printer ink is the 3rd most expensive liquid on the planet!!!! Buy in bulk to save money.

I know the volume is greater but when you factor in the difference, it's not much. Although I agree that I should stop, it's a finance thing and as always, the financial point wins out. Can't afford to play their game.

And yes, Ink is absolutely like gold. Crazy what it has become.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

There is a business in my town (I Live in a university town) that specializes in refilling ink cartridges

I think as you posted in your other post, they have started to put measures into place to stop this happening..
i can see another small business going bust in your town soon..
greedy corperations again..

edit on 11/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

We had a few of these kiosks in the mall but they've disappeared. Can't compete with the biggies I guess.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Shamatt

I know the volume is greater but when you factor in the difference, it's not much. Although I agree that I should stop, it's a finance thing and as always, the financial point wins out. Can't afford to play their game.

And yes, Ink is absolutely like gold. Crazy what it has become.

If you are up for it - I bet you I could show you a way to make buying cartriges cheaper than replacing your printer each time.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If it saves money and the environment, I'm all for it!

Unless it's one of the MLM remnants still floating around.

Thanx

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There was a documentary called Pyramid of Waste that talked about this issue. Its about planned obsolescence and focus on a few common household items, one of which is a printer. Below is a link to the hour long documentary if you would like to see it for yourself.

dotsub.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
There was a documentary called Pyramid of Waste that talked about this issue. Its about planned obsolescence and focus on a few common household items, one of which is a printer. Below is a link to the hour long documentary if you would like to see it for yourself.

dotsub.com...

Thanx!

I'll have a look. Might get more Ranty tho.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
since 2000 i've had to buy at least one every year!

if its not the ink being more expensive, its cuz they break down so easily and return costs are more expensive, too

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You know you can get cartridge refill kits and some stores refill them.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If you know this, why do you still do exactly what the government wants? Just don`t buy a new one. You won`t benefit (As the price is the same), but at least the government won`t either.

And it really shouldn`t be that hard to refill it. Sure you have to replace it from time to time, but not the first time it empties.
edit on 12-6-2011 by mkpetrov because:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join