It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder and videogames

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

They did this with Manhunt (in the UK anyway).

It didnt get banned, all that happened was dixons and game refused to sell it. You can still buy it from other retailers, and the PC version is about to be released.

More and more shops are banning it by the day. Just look on ebay.co.uk, people are making a lot of money selling it (as it's hard to get it anywhere else).

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I am an 8 yr resident of Deltona..This is a quiet community where everyone's kids play togetther. I live 3 houses away from the house on Providence where the head ringleader of the murders was staying. Let me say as a community we are out-raged!!! I'm not sure if we canrecover from such a brutal murder. I am glad the ppl who did this were all over 18 yrs of age. I hope they are held responsible for their actions to the fullest extent of the the law!!! To take a life over a video game and some clothes is horrid. I hope they all get the death penalty!!!!! We all need to pull together as a community and teach our children to stop the violance.. A life is more valuable than a $ 100 XBox game system. We need to never forget what happened and the pain it caused the families ( they are all victims too ) and teach our children to embrace life and hold it sacred and not to take it away as easily as you would blow out a candle. God Bless the family and friends who were left behind in this horrible crime!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Does watching the Lion King put my kid in danger? Does it desensitize him to the actual dangers of live lions? Will it make him jump into the lion cage at the zoo?

Does Home Alone make my kid think he can singlehandedly defeat two burglars? If my house gets robbed and my kid tries to put up a fight, can I sue Macauley Culkin?

Does watching Sesame Street's Oscar the Grouch put my child in danger of growing up to live in a garbage can and never wash his hair?

I mean where the heck do you draw the line? It's up to PARENTS to talk with their kids and find out what's going on in that head of theirs.

If my dog bites someone, they can sue me because I may have raised a vicious dog.

If my kid kills someone, they should be able to sue me if it's proven that my negligence or attention brought about the violent crime.

Yeah I know it's a stretch, but as a parent it's YOUR responsibility to grow and nurture your kid to be a productive member of society who doesn't go on kill-crazy rampages.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

More and more shops are banning it by the day. Just look on ebay.co.uk, people are making a lot of money selling it (as it's hard to get it anywhere else).

As far as I am aware (and trust me, I know my games) only Game and Dixons have banned it. I can still buy it in HMV or any other shop. I can still buy it off Amazon. Plus the PC version is soon to be released, and I doubt the dev's would continue with this if they felt no-one would sell it.

Besides, it has an 18 cert, so those goddam parents shouldn't let their kids play it anyway.

I have a 9 month old daughter, and I don't let her watch TV, or watch me play my games. It is a responsibility of the parents to judge what is right, using the BBFC ratings as a guide (it is also law, anyone showing an uder age person a rated film is liable to prosecution)

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by s8nlovesme
The kid at the counter of best buy, EB, who is making 5 bux an hour is not gonna give a rates ass who buys the game. Bottom line...PARENTS DO YOUR JOB!!!

I used to work for Game and my store were extremely observant when it came to ratings. But there were always ways around it.....

But you are right, in the end it is down to the parents.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
people will always blame new stuff ... before it was cinema,cars,microwaves etc now its video games

but after a while it sinks in and they understand video games do not make poeple kill but by that time something new will be there and they will blame that...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join