It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Murder and videogames

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
DELTONA -- The bodies of six friends were found scattered through a blood-spattered house Friday in what Volusia County's sheriff called "the worst thing that we've ever seen."
"It's a very, very brutal crime scene," Johnson said. "It's hard to describe what went on in that house." Even a "little brown dog" in the home was killed, he said.

Damn, why did this have to happen a week after DOOM3 was released? Now I bet we will have people crawling out of the woodwork blaming death and violence on the videogame/entertianment industry, instead of focusing on the people who did it.

d1k

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by s8nlovesme
Damn, why did this have to happen a week after DOOM3 was released? Now I bet we will have people crawling out of the woodwork blaming death and violence on the videogame/entertianment industry, instead of focusing on the people who did it.

People can't seriously think this had anything to do with Doom 3 being released.

I saw on CNN that the latest study shows that viloent video games actually decrease the chance of a child becoming viloent later in life. I'll try to find a link for what I saw.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by d1k]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Wow! This is insane! They say the murderer is still on the loose!!

Mass murderer on loose in Fla.?

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
They did this with Manhunt (in the UK anyway).

A few people were copying things off the game, so it got banned.

I don't see how they can blame video games/films anyway. I mean, the only people who will copy things they see; are people who are not right in the head in the first place.

I mean, go to any of your 'sane' friends, let them play Manhunt for a week; and then after, ask them if they would go and kill somebody - they will say no! Ya see, it sounds silly when you think of it like that.

There is no way you are going to stop these few 'weirdos' from killing... Even if you ban all violent games and movies - they will still end up killing/harming someone.

Besides... I personally believe that games such as Manhunt, GTA, etc - are good games to take your anger out on - so you take it out on a game, rather than a real person.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by MetalHead]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i highly doubt anything will come of this. and if something does, i for one have obsessivley played the original doom back in middle school (playing on god mode with the chainsaw is still a blast), and gone on vicious killing sprees for hours on end with vice city. and i have yet to go out and start killing people in the real world.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I agree MetalHead, I just hope Sen. Lieberman does as well. Kudos to the videogame industry for using game ratings ESRB. They games themes and suggested audience are clearly labeled on the box. If a parent doesnt bother to read the warnings , who is really to blame? The game manufacturer who took the time to place ratings on the game? The kid at the counter of best buy, EB, who is making 5 bux an hour is not gonna give a rates ass who buys the game. Bottom line...PARENTS DO YOUR JOB!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutehalo
i highly doubt anything will come of this. and if something does, i for one have obsessivley played the original doom back in middle school (playing on god mode with the chainsaw is still a blast), and gone on vicious killing sprees for hours on end with vice city. and i have yet to go out and start killing people in the real world.

Exactly

I also remember playing the original DOOMs - I have them all on my old Windows 98 machine... Still play them once and a while, lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

PARENTS DO YOUR JOB!!!

This is very true... But sadly, I know of many parents who wouldn't care less about their kids - as long as their out of the parents hair
It's a worrying world we live in today.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
ahh, the good old dayz. original dooms and 1st persons wolfenstein!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

ahh, the good old dayz. original dooms and 1st persons wolfenstein!!!

Yep... I have the original Wolfenstein also
Wonderfull game. Even though I have the new PS2 version, I often have the urge to play the original, lol.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
well just got DOOM III today it is the most frightening game ive ever played. when not properly supervised it just might drive a child/adolescent to insanity. the product of humanity falls directly on the shoulders of the parents.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MetalHead

No it was the friend who was killed that had Manhunt not the killer the police said. So this is totally off blaming Manhunt.
Something are really wrong in your head if you kill somone after playing videogames, I mean what the HOW IS IT POSSIBLE, I think the people where really InSane long before they played the game, so parents its them to blame, not knowing their own child.

jra

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I find this blaiming of games for violence so silly. Being some one who works in the game industry (or trying to anyway). I see no way for a game to make some one kill another. A game is no differnt than any other form of entertainment. I've been playing games since i was little. Violent and non-violent alike. I have not had the urge to kill anyone. I've been playing doom 3 as well. It's scary yes, but no more than any horror movie. But yes it's not a game for little kids thats for sure, though i don't think it would make a little kid violent.. probably just really scare the crap out of them. Like movies, some games are ment for adults.

I think one of the problems is that a lot of people see video games as a childrens toy and tend not to think or treat it like the movie industry. The first generation of gamers have grown up and are making the games for all sorts of people now. Some for children, some for adults, some even targetted to appeal to women... it's no longer just a toy for kids and people should learn to not think of it as just that.

I don't see any way a game can cause some one to murder another. I'm no expert on crimes and murders, but i'd think the main reasons for some one to murder another is either A) mentaly unstable or B) has a very strong modivation against the person they are killing (ie: revenge against someone, hatred, etc) and a game doesn't make for a strong cause in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
What the cops need to do , it start playing games. Maybe they will be able to shot better. On more that one event I have seen officers unload there gun a point blank range, and hit nothing.

jra

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Not sure if you were kidding or not, but a game won't really improve your skill in shooting. I mean a keyboard and mouse or gamepad doesn't exactly give you the feel of a gun. Better if the cops just do more target practice in real life. The only thing i see a game doing for them is to increase there reflex/responce time.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   

It didnt get banned, all that happened was dixons and game refused to sell it. You can still buy it from other retailers, and the PC version is about to be released.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by d1k

I saw on CNN that the latest study shows that viloent video games actually decrease the chance of a child becoming viloent later in life. I'll try to find a link for what I saw.

I've been playing violent videogames forever and I haven't killed anybody......yet.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have played Doom 3 and I dont have the urge to go to mars and kill zombies and demons...............................................

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I have played Doom 3 and I dont have the urge to go to mars and kill zombies and demons...............................................

f*ck no! It's scary enough playing it on the computer.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
DOOM is the ultimate test of science VS religion. stupid demons think they can outsmart us hah! technological supiriority will always triumph over retarded brain hungry demons. seriously though play with the lights off and sound up and you just might crap your pants i know i almost did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join