It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FaceBook Just Got Real!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by TheRemedial

Man it must take 2 hours to load the front page and get to the forums, let alone post!

Hope there is no one sniffing exit node traffic on you! It's all unencrypted from the exit node to your secure proxy.

Wow, you just lost me there. Care to spiral orbit until you land back on this thread?

Lol, Sunday is a day of rest, but not around here (home).. and ye ol' desktop aint portable... Oo

Tor, at least from my experience, is notoriously slow. So having it go from the Tor network to another proxy system, would be like browsing using a 300 baud modem!!

The Tor network itself is quite secure, the traffic within it is encrypted however when the traffic leaves the Tor network and re-enters the public internet, any data being transmitted is visible to whoever runs the Tor exit node.

Which means unless you use your own encryption, any plain text data sent can be captured.

Usually, the exit node would blindly send on the traffic to the original destination, effectively hiding the origin of the request. So in that it works perfectly.

Having it sent on further to a secure proxy, I don't see adding much more security over what is already there in this case, because the problem with exit nodes exists regardless of adding another external proxy.

If anything it protects the exit node from being associated with the original destination.

But joe bloggs can run the exit node and get usernames and passwords with little problem.

Tor Eavesdropping

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A horse race caller using that same language around the breakfast table.
A lawyer using court room language to his friends down the pub.
A mother using baby talk to her 43 year old son.
A guy using facebook terminology to people in a park.

All these and more are just "out of context" language ideas that show the comedian was mostly out of original ideas that day and was desperate for new material.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

A horse race caller using that same language around the breakfast table.
A lawyer using court room language to his friends down the pub.
A mother using baby talk to her 43 year old son.
A guy using facebook terminology to people in a park.

All these and more are just "out of context" language ideas that show the comedian was mostly out of original ideas that day and was desperate for new material.

Can you say that in English please kind sir??

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

The Tor network itself is quite secure, the traffic within it is encrypted however when the traffic leaves the Tor network and re-enters the public internet, any data being transmitted is visible to whoever runs the Tor exit node.

Which means unless you use your own encryption, any plain text data sent can be captured.

That (my friend) is EXACTLY what i am trying to say about Facebook!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
My "friends" and I use facebook to network and save the lives of thousands of death row dogs throughout the US that would otherwise be unseen, and killed. Photos amd videos are taken of death row "shelter" dogs, and cats. Then the photos/videos are circulated/tagged all over our walls and rescue group sources, via our "friends". So very many lives are saved this way.
It's amazing and wonderful for the ones we can and do save! Heartbreaking for the many we cannot.

Did you know that over 6 to 7 million dogs and cats are killed in the US in so called "shelters" , every year?
Not all facebook use is frivolous waste of time.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Anyone using a computer or cell phone is not off the grid.

Off the grid where I come from means,

No use of utility companies
Living in a place where google earth can't find you (yes this exists up here)
You have to go to town to pick up mail, as mail is not delivered in your area
No connection to DMV, Tax filings, etc.

And truly off the grid, as in no permanent housing would be ala alexander supertramp style of living

I have a couple friends who are genuinely off the grid. You wanna talk to them you can't even call. You have to already know where to find them.

I used to have facebook to communicate with some friends and family across country, but with all these weird privacy issues I disabled it. If I had one I definitely would not share anything personal or use my real name.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

So your telling me that ATS isn't a social networking site. If your posting on this site you have an account with a username and pw. You have a profile, you can post pics, likes & dislikes, you can send messages and you can chat. I say hmmmmm....and you think your off the grid? lol

I do like the fact that you have attracted several 'stars' from the Sheep who are desperate to endorse the fact that Facebook and Social networking are normal and acceptable....

As someone else mentioned already, I do not use ATS as a way of making imaginery friends or posting pictures of my holidays and ex-girlfriends or even that i do / or do not like ironing my clothes ! (you choose)...... My name and face are not and have never (and will never) be posted on this site....... My username here is one of several puesonyms that I use which are not known to my closest friends or family......... they know me by my real name.

I have however given the area of where I live in the UK just to be able to be available if things were to happen..!

I think someone, Just Julie from Austrailia did suggest that it was FEAR preventing enjoying social networking........... not really in my case as I fear no one individual nor do I fear most activities (except perhaps wingsuits
) however I do fear being Manipulated into doing things by organisations or big companies. I fear the loss of my choice and free thought and I just feel that however 'secure' or not our personal data is in Cyberspace.............. sooner or later we will find that Social Networking is just one big corporate database of all it's users.
Now I wonder what that database would be used for..........and as someone else said, even if you delete your account and re-open a year later ALL your data and images etc appear as if by magic............
just be aware - "what goes up in Cyberspace Stays in Cyberspace".....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pitlover
My "friends" and I use facebook to network and save the lives of thousands of death row dogs throughout the US that would otherwise be unseen, and killed. Photos amd videos are taken of death row "shelter" dogs, and cats. Then the photos/videos are circulated/tagged all over our walls and rescue group sources, via our "friends". So very many lives are saved this way.
It's amazing and wonderful for the ones we can and do save! Heartbreaking for the many we cannot.

Did you know that over 6 to 7 million dogs and cats are killed in the US in so called "shelters" , every year?
Not all facebook use is frivolous waste of time.

Pitlover....... I completely understand your use of this social media as a way of broadcasting a message and I commend you for trying to make a difference.

I only see this sort of usage, wether re-homing unfortunate animals or assisting with revolutions in Middle Eastern countries as being beneficial from Facebook etc etc............. however a SIGNIFICANT number of people now make it a priority to be active and available all the time..........

At a recent business BBQ I went to I was being continually badgered about being on Facebook and being part of 'something'! I obviously declined but noticed that during the day they were updating details, recieving new data.... It was actually more important to be 'online' than actually TALK face to face.........

We, as a species are being told that Social Networking is a way of being more ''together'' and yet I can't help think that actually Social Networking is actually ISOLATING individuals more....

Just my thoughts

PDUK

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Pretty much.

"Star and flag" man.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/59df4c616f85.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

You stated that ATS was not a social networking site. I'm stating that it is.
I agree with you when you say what you put out there stays out there. I just wish someone would steal my debt. Whose asleep now. Wake up sleepy head. I guess our definitions of off the grid aren't the same. I have no problem agreeing to disagree. Peace

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

I never stated this or implied this...."who are desperate to endorse the fact that Facebook and Social networking are normal and acceptable" Why would you say I did???

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I like twitter, I dont actually tweet, but I like to follow some journalists from both sides of the political spectrum, I follow some comediens and a few protest groups. I end up with more interesting articles to read than a lot of ATS threads, so I see it as just another way of gathering news and entertainment. I actually follow some ATS users aswell, which has been interesting recently

facebook on the other hand, well nothing more crushing than seeing your ex change her status to "in a relationship", then a link to her new boyfriend, who is longer and has more friends. LOL
edit on 12-6-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
then dont use facebook or any other site if you think like that

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Well, then I guess you could create a new e-mail account using a different name. No? And this is a genuine question. Not me being a smartalec: I said I deleted information from my profile. When I log on my FB account, I, the one whos account it belongs to, can no longer see that info. It is blank. I have yet to see it somehow magically appear filled back in. So, if I'm not seeing it, where did it go? Other than someone seeing the info and copying it before I deleted it, how can someone extract what has been deleted? I am very curious how this works.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by just_julie

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
I am not on any social networking sites, Facebook rubbish or pointless twitter (really a blog) feeds..........

I am completely off the 'grid' or matrix whichever you choose...

If I want to communicate then I either use the phone or meet someone and occasionally I use an e-mail .............

You lot want to be Sheeple then you go ahead and be sheeple.............ba ba ba ba

Cheers

PDUK

Phone bills get expensive when calling interstate all the time, and it's not so easy 'just meeting up' when your family lives far away.

I can totally understand where you are coming from, and it is a way to stay connected with family if they are traveling.

Those social networks have their positive side, but they also have the negative, which hopefully users are being more cautious about.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
social network sites aren't mandatory.
they are what you make of them.
don't like them? don't use them!
edit on 11-6-2011 by neonitus because: ugh.

edit on 11-6-2011 by neonitus because: puncuation.

Drugs aren't mandatory.
they are what you make of them
don't like them? don't use them!

You know when you have crap like "social" networking CONSTANTLY being advertised and shoved down the throat of every person, then its a problem.

Use your head for a second...in the amount of time it takes to scroll through facebook and look at everones artifial and empty looking life that only they choose to show, you could easily have made a phone call to said people, heard an actual human voice, and made plans to meet up in person to talk about real life.

A crazy concept, right?

We live in a very ill society when we feel the need to transfer ANY portion of human interaction, whether small or large, into an extremely elaborate and almost "game" like realm where we can poke eachother? wtf?
edit on 12-6-2011 by Jugtalicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawny2222
Reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Well, then I guess you could create a new e-mail account using a different name. No? And this is a genuine question. Not me being a smartalec: I said I deleted information from my profile. When I log on my FB account, I, the one whos account it belongs to, can no longer see that info. It is blank. I have yet to see it somehow magically appear filled back in. So, if I'm not seeing it, where did it go? Other than someone seeing the info and copying it before I deleted it, how can someone extract what has been deleted? I am very curious how this works.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Google takes a snapshot of each page it examines and caches (stores) that version as a back-up. The cached version is what Google uses to judge if a page is a good match for your query.

Practically every search result includes a Cached link. Clicking on that link takes you to the Google cached version of that web page, instead of the current version of the page. This is useful if the original page is unavailable because of:

Internet congestion
A down, overloaded, or just slow website
The owner’s recently removing the page from the Web
Sometimes you can access the cached version from a site that otherwise require registration or a subscription.

www.googleguide.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
First of all, great video! Of course I ran to Facebook so I could share it with my five hundred friends!

I wonder if there is really going to be an opera about this?

Secondly, it is very easy to compile a dossier on someone from googling them. I don't even need your FB account or your twitter, go ahead and lock them down. I can glean enough nuggets from what other people post to or about you, to have no problem in developing a good file you. (I am talking about avid social network users for the most part, but really anyone anymore.) If I have your name, I have half the work done. If I have a name and approximate age, or location, I can find out a lot about you online. You can lock your pages down, but unless all of your friends do, then it is fair game. And for people who live with a phone in their hand, glued to technology 24/7, I have seen very internet ignorant people using these services/social networks. They twit their every move, they FB their every mood, they tag every photo, they geotag their locations, then want to complain about privacy or being stalked. Ha! I say if you put it out there you want people to know about it. It is good to be cautious, because you never know who is watching you online.

star for you!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jugtalicus

i didnt really get your argument against me.
but , again if you dont like facebook, dont use it, youre not mssing out on anything.
i use facebook to keep in touch with family on the other side of the world, sure i could be cool and spend lots of money on phonecalls.but i dont mind being a lame ass and just swapping messages on a free internet service.
i agree and think most social net/w sites are almighty sacks of # but they can be very usefull.

if facebook uses you, thats bad.
if you use facebook, thats good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join