It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FaceBook Just Got Real!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Ever thought how odd your online life is? Ever thought what could go wrong?
This film looks forward to ENO's production of Nico Muhly's new opera 'Two Boys'.
A new opera that lifts the lid on the dangers of living our lives online.

Add geo-tagging with facial recognition software and multiply that by all the miscellaneous information that a person might post on the internet and that equals....... these guys might just be on the right track. This is something to keep your eye on.

Here is a link to their site twoboysopera.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Wow, great vid. Finaly an expression of exactly how I feel about social sites.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

edit on 11-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: sorry, wrong thread

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
social network sites aren't mandatory.
they are what you make of them.
don't like them? don't use them!
edit on 11-6-2011 by neonitus because: ugh.

edit on 11-6-2011 by neonitus because: puncuation.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
hahah Awesome video! thanks for that. I think it's ridiculous at some of the reactions he got when he just asked people in a polite, nice way "can i be your friend". The faces on the people after he asked this simple question is really astounding. We are so denatured and removed from our own species. Their are 6 billion people on this planet but really it's just you and your small circle.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Finally a way to identify just how useless and ridiculous Social Sites are.

If you need to put everything of yourself online, you have some very serious identity and insecurity problems IMO.

If you must stay in touch with family, friends etc, there's email, video chat, personal blogs...and oh yeah...the phone or maybe a coffee shop.

Why be naked to the World? I just don't get it.

"I HAVE 953 FRIENDS!"

Really? Friends on FB are akin to S&F on ATS...they really don't do anything except make you feel important for some reason.

edit on 11-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Great clip! I didn’t know whether to be amused or worried. Decided to stay sitting on the fence and keep watching the world go by. However I do seem to detect a trend, where society will be split and classified by new variations of behaviour. Variety is interesting. I might miss the day of the ‘non-newtech-users’ still alive.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
My god, that was funny! Yet scary at the same time. It is pretty ludicrous what we do online sometimes.

Yeah, I'm very satisfied with the fact that I don't use social sites at all.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Dear ProphecyPhD,

I really enjoyed the video. I too am disturbed by the amount of information out there and how it can be collected. I have never used Facebook; but, had set up an account in case I decided to a later date. It went unused for two years, when I went to delete it I discovered that it had suggestions for friends, one was a lady I had dated two years ago that we had never shared anything with on Facebook, it even had her picture. It was slightly disturbing.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

If you need to put everything of yourself online, you have some very serious identity and insecurity problems IMO.

If you must stay in touch with family, friends etc, there's email, video chat, personal blogs...and oh yeah...the phone or maybe a coffee shop.

"I HAVE 953 FRIENDS!"

Really?

"I just don't get it" is a true statement. Social networking sites have all the controls you need to include or exclude everyone and anyone you want. It is not naked exposure. There are all sorts of people that keep in touch with only family members, or other members of a club, group or organization, etcetera.

There is nothing to fear but ignorance itself.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

"I HAVE 953 FRIENDS!"

Really?

"I just don't get it" is a true statement. Social networking sites have all the controls you need to include or exclude everyone and anyone you want. It is not naked exposure. There are all sorts of people that keep in touch with only family members, or other members of a club, group or organization, etcetera.

There is nothing to fear but ignorance itself.

Go to google and type in 'John Smith' ...click on the first link...how is that private?

I can see everything about 'John Smith'

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Dear ProphecyPhD,

I really enjoyed the video. I too am disturbed by the amount of information out there and how it can be collected. I have never used Facebook; but, had set up an account in case I decided to a later date. It went unused for two years, when I went to delete it I discovered that it had suggestions for friends, one was a lady I had dated two years ago that we had never shared anything with on Facebook, it even had her picture. It was slightly disturbing.

Online information is not limited to what YOU post as much as what ANYONE posts. If i post information about YOU online... well, i hope you feel what i'm getting at. There are also websites that track where you go and what you view/do online. Download 'Ghostery' (it's free) and you will see that even ATS has at least 18 different tracking softwares built into it. I saw a product in an infomercial that i was interested in so i went to the website to check it out. The next day I went to a website that i normally go to and the product was advertised there. I had never seen this product advertised ANYWHERE before that commercial. GoogleAdSense tracked my web traffic to that site and decided to advertise said product to me on other sites.

Maybe the lady that you dated posted or "liked" something about YOU online. Pictures and information can be put online by ANYBODY. This is why this is such an interesting topic to me. Besides bullying and outright fraud there are really no laws pertaining to the internet.
edit on 6/11/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: misspelled "bullying"

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You can have your account set as private, so not just anybody can look at it.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_julie
reply to post by jude11

You can have your account set as private, so not just anybody can look at it.

Even if your account is private TPTB and Facebook staff (not to mention hackers) can still see your information and/or pictures. Thats like outlawing guns, the criminals still have them.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I am not on any social networking sites, Facebook rubbish or pointless twitter (really a blog) feeds..........

I am completely off the 'grid' or matrix whichever you choose...

If I want to communicate then I either use the phone or meet someone and occasionally I use an e-mail .............

You lot want to be Sheeple then you go ahead and be sheeple.............ba ba ba ba

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Why would anyone hack my facebook? I'm just an everyday joe schmo with nothing to hide. So what if they hack in to my account? I only have close friends and family on mine, because it's cheaper to keep in touch, and up to date when you live 2500 k's apart.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
I am not on any social networking sites, Facebook rubbish or pointless twitter (really a blog) feeds..........

I am completely off the 'grid' or matrix whichever you choose...

If I want to communicate then I either use the phone or meet someone and occasionally I use an e-mail .............

You lot want to be Sheeple then you go ahead and be sheeple.............ba ba ba ba

Cheers

PDUK

Phone bills get expensive when calling interstate all the time, and it's not so easy 'just meeting up' when your family lives far away.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by just_julie

Use Skype or some other VOIP system....... why have your personal details plastered all over the internet and cyberspace.....

People only use Facebook et al because everyone else does......... it's human behaviour to follow the crowd...... Me, I'm a contrarian and try to think a little differently to the herd.........and not be in the marketing / control pocket of the corporations.

Just remember that what goes up into Cyberspace , Stays in Cyberspace probably longer than the indiviual stays on this planet.........

Just food for thought

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_julie
Why would anyone hack my facebook? I'm just an everyday joe schmo with nothing to hide. So what if they hack in to my account? I only have close friends and family on mine, because it's cheaper to keep in touch, and up to date when you live 2500 k's apart.

PurpleDog has it correct when he says "why have your personal info plastered on the net". Just because you have your nifty little password doesn't mean anything. Askin who would want to hack your Facebook account is like asking "who would break into my house"? Anyone who wants to know something about you or do you some harm would. A password is like having a thousand dollar lock on your front door and leaving your bedroom window open. Hackers will go through your window wether it's open or not. Think spouse or suspicious girlfriend, boss or co-woker, spy or just an average nosy person.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Useless? Are you kidding me?

Do you have any idea what Twitter did for Egypt?

Holy God, people are so ignorant some times.

Social media is the future of marketing, business, and politics. Get over it.
edit on 11-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join