It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Remember The First Time You Heard Rock And Roll?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I was such a young lad of 8 back in '71 when I first heard the most powerful guitar licks coming from the long-haired guitar player next door.
He was sitting on the steps outside and playing "Wild Eyes" by the Canadian Band "The Stampeders"

I remember it being the turning point of my listening. I had discovered the next step up from Elvis and The Beatles.

I am 47 now but can still remember that afternoon when my eyes and ears opened up to Rock 'n Roll.

So, what was yours?

Wild Eyes I can't look away from your Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes I'm blind to the day from your Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes I'm hypnotized by your Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes My soul cries for your Wild Eyes
Evil knows I fell
In your evil spell

Wild Eyes as blue as the skies they was Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes a wicked disguise they was Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes burnin' with fire Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes filled with desire your Wild Eyes
Let me rest awhile
Near your fiery smile

Wild Eyes I'm comin' to get you now Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes I'm willin' to let you now Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes I'm takin' you home with me Wild Eyes
Wild Eyes I've got to be alone with your Wild Eyes
Evil knows I fell
In your evil spell
I fell for your Wild Eyes

For the older members here. You know who you are!

I recently came across a great memory in a music search, had a listen and it's just as good as it was back then.

They took the whole Cherokee Nation
And put us on this reservation
Took away our ways of life
The tomahawk and the bow and knife

They took away our native tongue
And taught their English to our young
And all the beads we made by hand
Are nowadays made in Japan

Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe
So proud to live, so proud to die

They took the whole Indian Nation
And locked us on this reservation
And though I wear a shirt and tie
I’m still a red man deep inside

Cherokee people, Cherokee tribe
So proud to live, so proud to die

But maybe someday when they learn
Cherokee Nation will return
Will return
Will return
Will return
Will return

edit on 11-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I was young not sure how old.. leaning on the hump between the captians chairs of my fathers old white wall to wall rug covered van going down a back road at 40 mph.. and this song came on the radio...

www.youtube.com...

it still puts a chill in my spine and wets the corners of my eyes...

~meathead

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Stivic
reply to post by jude11

I was young not sure how old.. leaning on the hump between the captians chairs of my fathers old white wall to wall rug covered van going down a back road at 40 mph.. and this song came on the radio...

www.youtube.com...

it still puts a chill in my spine and wets the corners of my eyes...

~meathead

Same for me with Wild Eyes!

It was such a turning point in my life that it is perhaps the clearest moment in my child hood memories. I can still picture the house, it was sunny and the guitar was loud.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yes it was Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis

At least this is what sticks out in my head maybe because it was so good I bought it. That was my first CD purchase.
I feel young now

edit on 11-6-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I was a tiny boy, sitting in the front seat of the car between my mom and dad. Elvis Presley came on the radio singing "Hound Dog". My dad started singing it with great zest. My mom reached over and turned off the radio saying we weren't going to listen such trash. lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hells Yea.. I remember being real young in my cousin's black 80's Silverado. He popped in a Led Zeppelin tape and we listened to "Black Dog". It changed my world...
edit on 11-6-2011 by rstregooski because: beer

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
I was a tiny boy, sitting in the front seat of the car between my mom and dad. Elvis Presley came on the radio singing "Hound Dog". My dad started singing it with great zest. My mom reached over and turned off the radio saying we weren't going to listen such trash. lol

I remember mom saying that tv wouldn't show Elvis from the waist down in the early days because it was to 'Blasphemous' lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski
reply to post by jude11

Hells Yea.. I remember being real young in my cousin's black 80's Silverado. He popped in a Led Zeppelin tape and we listened to "Black Dog". It changed my world...
edit on 11-6-2011 by rstregooski because: beer

'Black Dog'!

Still get goose bumps on that one.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil3unnie
Yes it was Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis

At least this is what sticks out in my head maybe because it was so good I bought it. That was my first CD purchase.
I feel young now

My first OZZY (Sabbath) song was 'War Pigs'

Such poetry! lol

Still a great one to this day.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

real early Beatles was the first r&r i heard. it was all pop feel-good innocent music, this was before the boys started dropping acid and experimenting. i don't know if it didn't exist or if we just didn't have it in my house but when i was a lad it was only AM radio stations.

i was lucky to have older sisters and brother. my eldest sister was into pop rock albums: Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Tommy Rowe. 2nd sister was into movie soundtracks. if I never hear the score from "Oklahoma!" again, it will be too soon. -grrr-

my brother was always teaching himself music from as early as i can remember, starting with the very affordable kazoo (LOL), the jaw's harp then harmonica before moving on to piano. he always played the FUNKIEST ancient black blues records, they were frickin' awesome. everybody had names like "blind mellow this" or "jelly roll that" and "screachin' whoever".

i was very lucky that way: i had many people in my childhood who exposed me to all sorts of music. a nice public school librarian turned me on to Classicals in 5th or 6th grade. the thick LP record was geared toward youngsters with fun listeners like The Peer Gynt Suite and Flight of the Bumblebees.

the only thing I like better than music is Jesus, God and my wife

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by jude11

real early Beatles was the first r&r i heard. it was all pop feel-good innocent music, this was before the boys started dropping acid and experimenting. i don't know if it didn't exist or if we just didn't have it in my house but when i was a lad it was only AM radio stations.

i was lucky to have older sisters and brother. my eldest sister was into pop rock albums: Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Tommy Rowe. 2nd sister was into movie soundtracks. if I never hear the score from "Oklahoma!" again, it will be too soon. -grrr-

my brother was always teaching himself music from as early as i can remember, starting with the very affordable kazoo (LOL), the jaw's harp then harmonica before moving on to piano. he always played the FUNKIEST ancient black blues records, they were frickin' awesome. everybody had names like "blind mellow this" or "jelly roll that" and "screachin' whoever".

i was very lucky that way: i had many people in my childhood who exposed me to all sorts of music. a nice public school librarian turned me on to Classicals in 5th or 6th grade. the thick LP record was geared toward youngsters with fun listeners like The Peer Gynt Suite and Flight of the Bumblebees.

the only thing I like better than music is Jesus, God and my wife

I remember when K-tel started putting out collections almost every Month it seemed.

Another memory I have (not rock) is my father learning that his favorite Country Star was not what he sounded like.

Charlie Pride, the first Country Star who just happened to also be black.
When my dad heard this he wouldn't believe it. "No way a black man can sing Country like that!"

To this day, I still chuckle at that.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I was born in 1950 rock and roll and I grew up together. It was fun. Cant really get into anything newer.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
I was born in 1950 rock and roll and I grew up together. It was fun. Cant really get into anything newer.

I can listen to about 10% of the newer stuff.

So many re-sampling and dubbing artists these days tho. Take something old and great, mix it up and ruin it.

Can't seem to be original these days.

Musicians used to strive to be different, unique and innovative. Now they just copy each other and everything before them. IMO

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Then they run it through auto tune and you end up with perfect industrial grade souless music. Things that are hand crafted are not perfect.

Im so stuck in the 50s I even drive a copy of James Dean's "lil Bastard"

Auto Tune

en.wikipedia.org...

My Lil Bastard

edit on 11-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Then they run it through auto tune and you end up with perfect industrial grade souless music. Things that are hand crafted are not perfect.

Im so stuck in the 50s I even drive a copy of James Dean's "lil Bastard"

Auto Tune

en.wikipedia.org...

My Lil Bastard

edit on 11-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

Nice!

I still love my LP's too! Can never get that sound again. Damn 8 tracks were the fall of mankind. lol

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
There was a certain interactive rhythm with LPs They were compilations and the Album covers were fun to read while you listened to the music. Even the ritual of cleaning the record. Good times. Good music.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well I'm only 35 but grew up with alot of people older than me and not so much older that Rock was always a part of my life here is my contribution I blast this bad boy everytime it's nice out and i'm dropping the top on my Mustang

edit on 11-6-2011 by IndianaOps because: sorry sucked at embed operator error

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndianaOps
Well I'm only 35 but grew up with alot of people older than me and not so much older that Rock was always a part of my life here is my contribution I blast this bad boy everytime it's nice out and i'm dropping the top on my Mustang

edit on 11-6-2011 by IndianaOps because: sorry sucked at embed operator error

Rock and Roll knows no age.

That's a great old tune!

Thanx

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Lets see.

With my uncle back in about 73. I remember listening to his Beatles LP's. Later, old Foreigner and Bad Co.

My older cousin in his pick up screaming down the road over Cedar Creek Lake listening to Foghat..slow ride. Rather ironic now that I think of it

Still have a 3 1/2 foot long stack of vinyl. I've lost lots of CD's and cassettes. My vinyl is still good.

A friend of mine has an original Cream - Disraeli Gears....the damn groves are GONE! ITS SMOOTH!

now thats what i call "long playing" LOL!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
the first time I heard rock would have been in the womb undoubtedly but the first time I was old enough to understand music and actually ask my dad who a certain song was by and everything it was More Than A Feeling by Boston.. or was that Chicago? or maybe Kansas? just kidding. but anyway I was about 7 years old and I just remember I had this feeling. No, scratch that. it was definitely more than a...uh... yeah. The next few bands I clearly remember were Bad Company, Foreigner, and I seem to remember a song or band named Blackfoot... I'll have to look into that one. not long after I was introduced to Metallica and Pantera and Megadeath. Then came Nirvana, Weezer, and Bad Religion. Then Snoop Dogg, IceCube and Bone Thugs n Harmony. Then Theivery Corporation, Air, and Aphex Twin. Now it's Dom, The Naked and Famous, and Arcade Fire. I missed a lot of bands that really influenced me, but I was basically showing my journey through different genres because I like all kinds of music. But it all started with rock. by the way they don't calm it rock n roll anymore ha-ha... just giving you a hard time.

"All the kids have always known,
that the emperor, he wears no clothes.
But they bow down to him anyway.
Cause it's better than being alone. "
"Ready to start" by Arcade Fire

thanks it was nice to reminisce...

new topics

<<   2 >>

join