It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screen Blinding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Please move to proper forum as needed.

Hello ATS,

I wear glasses and often question the reason to why I wear glasses because I remember when I was 5, I had "perfect" vision. It wasn't until I came to America and started watching TV, playing video games, using computers and cell phones that I started wearing glasses.

I made an interesting observation last night.. I was on my computer and then I stepped outside to take a break and stare at the stars. I noticed there weren't any stars out (2 am) because of light pollution so I just closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind.. 15 minutes later, I look up at the sky again and I noticed that there ARE stars cutting through the light pollution... So I'm thinking to myself "WTF?" because I didn't see any 15 minutes earlier..

I'm thinking that maybe it's the computer screen's light that blinded me for a while (like staring into the sun, but smaller scale) and my eyes needed to recover in order to observe other light.. and I began to wonder how much screens affect your vision, and how many people are constantly staring at a screen because of jobs, cell phones, for fun, or whatever, and missing out on visual phenomena because of screen blinding... I also wondered how this could affect our thinking patterns and subconscious thought since light is imprinted in your retina and takes time in darkness to recover (like when you stare at the sun). Could the lights we are exposing each other to be slowly removing us from our ability to observe real life? Could the light being imprinted in our minds be shaping our brain waves and thoughts as to observe a certain reality or belief of a reality??

So I was wondering if anyone who uses their computers / watches TV / video games @ night can step outside and look @ the stars. Try to see if you see them unclear (as I did) then close your eyes to recover, and look again to see if you see more, or see them brighter.

Trolls will be ignored

Feedback and facts is very welcomed!! I am very receptive to factual information and will respond gladly

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Of course that's what'll happen. Your eyes are used to the high amount of light from your monitor, and when you go to (almost) complete darkness from that, it takes a little while for your eyes to adjust.

But to answer your question, I'm a big time gamer, and at night I often go outside just to look up at the stars. And I can see them as soon as I walk out, but I can see more as I give my eyes time to adjust to the darkness and collect a smaller percentage of light (from the stars) than they were from the computer screen.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
most pictures of pirates are depicted with eye patches.this was not from loseing an eye..it was done so the pirate could go from the light of the sun into darkness of the ship raise the patch and that eye was adjusted to the dark so he could find what he wanted without waiting for his eyes to adjust to the dark...the same thing happens when watching tv in a dark house when you turn off the tv your eyes have to adjust..15 minutes is too long..have your eyes checked you may have some form of nite blindness

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It's called getting older.
I have had perfect vision all my life and I just recently went and got prescription reading glasses. I spend about 80 percent of my waking ours in front of my computer and have done so for the past 10 years between work, my graphic design stuff and surfing, so it was inevitable that I would have to wear them one day. I can still see my tv (and the stars) just fine and only need them for near vision.
edit on 11-6-2011 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join