It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost Cities of Ancient Helike: The Real Atlantis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Ancient Cities of Helike In 373 BC, a catastrophic earthquake and tsunami destroyed and submerged the ancient Greek city of Helike, on the southwest shore of the Gulf of Corinth. The sunken city gradually silted over until it disappeared without a trace. Ancient writers ascribed the disaster to the wrath of Poseidon, god of earthquakes and the sea. For many years Prof. Spyridon Marinatos, Director General of Antiquities for Greece and discoverer of the prehistoric town on Santorini, pursued the search for ancient Helike.

In 2001, after twelve years of field work, the Helike Project brought to light the first traces of the lost Classical city, buried under deposits of an ancient lagoon. And, to their astonishment, the explorers also discovered nearby an entire Early Bronze Age town, dating from about 2400 BC, in an extraordinary state of preservation. An earthquake apparently caused the submergence of this Prehistoric town twenty centuries before a similar fate led to the disappearance of its Classical successor. The exploration and excavation of Prehistoric and Classical Helike will be the work of decades to come.

So correct me if I'm wrong.. but doesn't the article indicate that before this Ancient Greek city was submerged, there was another civilisation there a long time ago?

There is enough evidence to suggest advanced ancient civilisations having existed a long time before the commonly accepted time in the scientific and archaeological communities. BUT. Just how advanced were these civilisations?

I'm sure a lot of you have seen evidence that suggests that humans have been around at the same time as dinosaurs. That leads me to believe that we could of had very advanced civilisations on our planet going back a long time. This opens up the possibilities of an event such as a global evacuation into outer space, preceding some sort of global extinction event.

This could explain the visitation of 'Extra terrestrials' when it would be so hard for a race to travel across galaxies.

I still believe in completely different races of E.T's though.

Kind of de railed myself there..

Ancient Cities of Helike

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Poseidon and Atlantis do seem to go together well

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911
Poseidon and Atlantis do seem to go together well

Well according to Myth they are closely tied together...

Atlantis: the Myth

Cleito bore Poseidon ten sons, five sets of boys. Atlas the first son of the first set of twins, was made king over the vast territory by his father. His brothers were appointed princes and each ruled over a large section of the territory that was distributed to him. The most valuable section of the kingdom remained his mother's home on the hilltop and the land surrounding it. This was given to Atlas. Atlas himself had many sons with the succession of the throne always passing to the eldest son.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

There is enough evidence to suggest advanced ancient civilisations having existed a long time before the commonly accepted time in the scientific and archaeological communities.

What evidence do you speak of? I'm asking sincerely. Not as a skeptic.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen evidence that suggests that humans have been around at the same time as dinosaurs.

Again I'm curious as to what evidence you speak of. Are you thinking of the Acambaro figurines?

This opens up the possibilities of an event such as a global evacuation into outer space, preceding some sort of global extinction event.

As in, they are us?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
So correct me if I'm wrong.. but doesn't the article indicate that before this Ancient Greek city was submerged, there was another civilisation there a long time ago?

One that was around during the time of the ancient Egyptians, Sumerians, Phoenecians, and a lot of other people.

There is enough evidence to suggest advanced ancient civilisations having existed a long time before the commonly accepted time in the scientific and archaeological communities.

The earliest date I've seen for Egyptian/Sumerian/Hindu civilizations is a thousand years BEFORE that finding. And it was Bronze Age, so they were at the "bronze swords" (if they used them) and wheels state. Might not have much engineering.

BUT. Just how advanced were these civilisations?

Well, they had hand-fired clay pots (not mass produced ones), ploughed with sharpened sticks, used wind powered ships (or rowed by hand), built houses out of stone and mud brick, and couldn't smelt iron or steel because their furnaces weren't hot enough. They hadn't invented ceramics and I don't think they had writing. Axes and adzes were used to deal with whatever wood they had (no saws.)

I'm sure a lot of you have seen evidence that suggests that humans have been around at the same time as dinosaurs.

Speaking as someone who works on dinosaur fossils, the evidence is fake. And really badly faked at that.

Anyway, 2400 BC is pretty neat, but the Egyptians had an organized civilization and pyramids at that time. Reading the article gives the impression that they were a little behind the Egyptians and others.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You all may be aware of the very ancient cities off the coast of northwest India, some of them quite large, and at least one was 50 km out to sea! They seem to date, due to their undersea location, to the Ice Age. Graham Hancock wrote of them, IIRC, in Underworld.

Then, there is that new find, the city, or I should say, it appears to be a city, submerged in very deep (~2000 feet) water off the coast of Cuba. However, I have seen little data on that find.

edit on 12-6-2011 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
You all may be aware of the very ancient cities off the coast of northwest India, some of them quite large, and at least one was 50 km out to sea! They seem to date, due to their undersea location, to the Ice Age. Graham Hancock wrote of them, IIRC, in Underworld.

Actually, that was a story (later retracted by some very high placed officials) put out by an Indian tabloid. If you did a lot of poking around (looking at the names associated with the find, etc) it's pretty evident that it's a hoax. There have been finds of the Harappan civilization in India but they're about the same time as the early Egyptian ones. Ditto the Chinese.

Then, there is that new find, the city, or I should say, it appears to be a city, submerged in very deep (~2000 feet) water off the coast of Cuba. However, I have seen little data on that find.

Probably because there isn't a city there. Geology does strange things.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Is this the city you were referring to?

news.bbc.co.uk...

I thought there was a documentary done on it and that it was real....oh well.

new topics

top topics

join