It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The BBQ/Smoker thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I just thought I would start a thread for those of us that love BBQ/smoker cooking. I thought it would be a great place to share stories/recipes and photos.
I am currently getting all the pieces together to build myself an offset smoker and will be adding pics etc of my build as it progresses.

So lets see your pics etc.....

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Number one rule of good BBQ slow and steady with offset heat remember that. And base with apple cider vinegar it will help break down the meat and make it tender, and save the juice from the meat to mix with that to help keep it juicy, before placing it in your smoker, dry rub with the following to your taste: Paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper, Cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, a little bit of coco powder not too much just for that background of what the hell is that, and a little bit of regular white sugar, coat the meat with olive oil, and a little bit of hot sauce your preference, slap on for no less then eight hours. I prefer hickory or mesquite chips or wood, but it's all preference I've used oak as well works just as good.

Forgot the chili powder to the rub my bad, use ancho chili seems to add the best mix of heat and sweet.
edit on 6/11/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Here's what I do.

I use a 3 burner gas grill. I only use the middle burner. I place a aluminum foil pan of sorts on the grate above the burner to catch the drippings, to keep it from flaring up. I use only the upper grate for the meat.

For ribs, I make a rub. First pry up and peel off the membrane with a butter knife and a paper towel for gripping. It should pull off easily. Then coat meat with vegetable or olive oil to hold the rub.

Rub: 1 part paprika, one part coarse salt, then add to taste: some lesser amounts of garlic powder (not salt), onion powder (not salt), cayenne pepper, black pepper, etc. Let it sit for as much time as you can spare, 2 hrs minimum. You might think that this will be too salty, but it's not, so be generous.

For chicken I use the above oil/rub and add some italian seasoning, to taste.
I also soak chicken for at least 2 hours with 1cup milk + 1 TBSP white vinegar. This helps to tenderize it before I put the rub on.

Keep it at 260-275 deg or so. And let it go for a few hours, low and slow.

The ribs are done when you can pull them apart with your fingers.

Add sauce. That contains all the sugar I need.
edit on 11-6-2011 by LHP666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Thanks guys they both soundgreat ideas and I will certainly try them

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
We just a new smoker....am planning a pork roast with cherry wood chips. Will let you know the out come!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
We just a new smoker....am planning a pork roast with cherry wood chips. Will let you know the out come!

Photos of the outcome..please

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
oh yeah, i am huge fan of bbq's i find them to be the best social interacting environments with friends or new business partners. By the way, i am more of spit person, but not with the motor driven but hand rotation style, it involves everyone and always brings a smile to everyone's face.

Nice thread.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Dang it! Don't you guys know that what you are describing is NOT Barbecue? Barbecue is pulled pork or ribs. Period.
What you are talking about is "grilling" or as some say, myself included, "grilling out".

Geesh...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by benintheuk

Awesome thread! I know a lot of people say, "hey summer! Time to BBQ!" Where I live, we do it in the snow too...

If you want to be amazed by meat: check out this world record:

Vegetarians Worst Nightmare

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by benintheuk

Awesome thread! I know a lot of people say, "hey summer! Time to BBQ!" Where I live, we do it in the snow too...

If you want to be amazed by meat: check out this world record:

Vegetarians Worst Nightmare

CJ

That video might as well have been from a movie the very second it zoomed in on the meat it seems that they were bodies on crosses a kinda weird feeling of how hell might be slammed me in the head.

P.S. im both veg/fish/meat eater, well i guess i am on the top of the food chain....for now ...!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Ha! Agreed with all of your post - it is scary looking - it is like a horror movie - I love fruits and veggies! Now please book my ticket to Argentina.

CJ

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Tonight we grilled salmon. The baste was a very fruity sangriawith avocado-orange oil, lemon pepper, and a fish seasoning consisting od onion,garlic,lemon peel, terragon, and basil. Gotta say that avocado-orange oil is amazing.
Sorry, I was so busy as this is such a fast grill no pics. I also baked biscuits on the grill. Yummy.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Dang it! Don't you guys know that what you are describing is NOT Barbecue? Barbecue is pulled pork or ribs. Period.
What you are talking about is "grilling" or as some say, myself included, "grilling out".

Geesh...

No absolutes here, but a very fun and interesting debate! To my mind BBQ is anything cooked outside. Alternative to the stove/oven in the house. Anything from an oak wood pit, to meat buried in the ground, to a grill or a turkey fryer or a smoker. Because it's a different experience from cooking inside the house. All day? Oak wood pit with tri tip. Quickie dinner? Grill scallops! But the experience is what kicks it. And I find that cooking out doors is very cultural. Some might not have a clue waht pulled pork is but they will knock your socks off with a grilled lobster!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
oh yeah, i am huge fan of bbq's i find them to be the best social interacting environments with friends or new business partners. By the way, i am more of spit person, but not with the motor driven but hand rotation style, it involves everyone and always brings a smile to everyone's face.

Nice thread.

details please? I've never seen hand rotation spit . Wood fire or coals?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Nice thread.

In the bellow photo is a classic spit although it has a windscreen motor adapted to it you can just as easily remove the motor and adapt an " L " shaped unit and there you have a manual driven spit that you get everyone involved in the fun. You can use wood or coal it doesn't matter but you need to offset the wood or coal about 20 cm depending on the heat from the center of what you are roasting. If you do lamb a sure way to know that the meat is done is by observing the tail, it tends to curl upwards. Normaly time of it being ready is about 2hrs +-, again it depends on the amount of heat.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Nice thread.

In the bellow photo is a classic spit although it has a windscreen motor adapted to it you can just as easily remove the motor and adapt an " L " shaped unit and there you have a manual driven spit that you get everyone involved in the fun. You can use wood or coal it doesn't matter but you need to offset the wood or coal about 20 cm depending on the heat from the center of what you are roasting. If you do lamb a sure way to know that the meat is done is by observing the tail, it tends to curl upwards. Normaly time of it being ready is about 2hrs +-, again it depends on the amount of heat.

very nice. thanks for the photo and reply!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Simple things are often the best and yeah when everyone is involved in rotating the spit it makes the meal or event even more memorable.

Also a note to your guest's , do not wear fancy clothes as your there to eat and be amongst friends also the smoke that rises from the spit tends to transfer the odor to the clothes, but hey, its all about gathering friends and simply having a wonderful and relaxed time together.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This my grill/ smoker, just the wife and me.

www.backyardcity.com...

new topics

top topics

join