It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I.M.F. Hit by Sophisticated Cyberattack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
my money is on china since they are the worlds largest state financed and most well funded hackers out there.

could be testing the waters to crash the system to destroy the dollar and so that the chinese yuan becomes the worlds currency.

all the attacks thus far have been "baby steps" leading up the something larger and more massive

and the usual suspects get the blame.

the other thing i am leaning to is a "False flag" operation by the cia and the us government to impliment total control of the internet in the us much like china has already.

thats my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
********************THIS JUST IN FROM REUTERS*******************
sorry nothing more than a tweet at this stage, but IMF are not blaming anon but good old inter-country espionage it appears ?

FLASH: Goal of cyber intrusion at IMF was to install software that would give a nation state "digital insider presence": security sourc

cant really link a tweet?

and further to this...just in

FLASH: FBI is helping to investigate cyber incident at IMF, says U.S. Defense Dept. spokeswoman

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
my money is on china since they are the worlds largest state financed and most well funded hackers out there.

could be testing the waters to crash the system to destroy the dollar and so that the chinese yuan becomes the worlds currency.

Interesting theory, but if that's the motive, then the states is the more likely culprit. The IMF has been moving towards replacing the US Dollar as it's currency of transaction, and i wouldnt be surprised if they needed access to data inside the imf website.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

could be the reason the imf was hit they didnt wanna play ball with china.

who really knows speculation is more fun

edit on 11-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Here's what we know:

The attacks on the IMF have occurred during the last several months.

The IMF stated it doesn't believe the attacks are related to the attacks on RSA. Why would they even assume that others might make that connection?

The attacks on RSA resulted in an attempt to gain access to Lockheed Martin.

During the past month the head of the IMF was brought down in a humiliating fashion in NYC.

Six months ago John Wheeler III, a former Pentagon official and defense consultant, was seen disoriented and later found murdered. Mr. Wheeler was a proponent of the U.S. beefing up its ability to fend off cyber attacks.

I'm not suggesting that I know how to connect these dots but it certainly seems like some pretty high stakes stuff has gone down in recent months.

www.examiner.com...
edit on 11-6-2011 by Reaching because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by Reaching because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Gonna just throw this out there as this is sheer speculation but anyone ever think that maybe The Bilderberg Group and Anonymous are one and the same and that every Anonymous attack is just part of a master plan to bring censorship to the web?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

The main problem on a realistic level is that to bomb or invade a nation of known a cyber attack it needs to have a point of origin. Since cyber attacks are conducted without any given point of origin it is simply impossible to finger a single point.

I hear ya, cerebralassassins. But then again, Washington Warmongers could just as well claim "Mobile Labs-- seen on spy satellite in [insert name of country]!" and some idiots will actually fall for it... Again... while the rest of the nation is flipping thru 60 channels trying to find their fav reality show to escape from reality.

I guess I'm saying--your point is well taken, makes perfect sense to logical-minded, critical-thinking people who seem to be aware of how ludicrous things have gotten. But I see less and less of those people. Everybody around me seems to be sweating the small stuff and have no concept of the bigger pictures. They'll accept any "official story" from the news, including a made-up point of origin.
edit on 6/11/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Game over Satanic banksters.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It bothers me that the mainstream media can't wrap their heads around the philosophy of Anonymous. They treat it as a select group of hackers, when really it's much more than that. It's more of an ideology than anything else.

As far as the hack goes, I'm interested in how sophisticated it really was. Hope it did some damage

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Could this of been part of the FBI act to hire hackers? I think so.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think all of these answers are part of the question.

No one is buying that the attack is by some "anonymous" group out of no where.

Not when they can catch "3 guys from Spain" (sounds like a new Taco Bell franchise..3 guys from Spain..nice ring to it) hacking Play Station.

Better yet...Let's hire the Play Station sleuths or detectives to find out who hacked IMF.

It really sounds like a game now doesn't it?

Who's the programmer is the question I guess.

Great thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

WIth all the high profile cyberattacks recently, one has to wonder if this isn't all part of a grand plan?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

yup, reminds me of yesterday's Citibank hack, like quarter million people's accounts were accessed!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

IMF should be destroyed.

That being said, if this is an attack, don't forget to add that US calls a cyber attack an act of war, and US retaliation would not leave military action out of the picture.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Check out this latest piece...

IMF Computers Said to Be Targeted in State-Based Cyber-Attack

...The infiltration follows reported hacks at Google Inc., Sony Corp., Lockheed Martin Corp. and Citigroup Inc. in the past three months. The FBI has said it would increase efforts to combat cyber-attacks by criminal gangs, industrial spies and foreign governments. On June 10, Spanish police arrested three suspected members of the online hacking group Anonymous, which has said it carried out attacks on governments and websites belonging to Sony and MasterCard Inc.

"The Fund is fully functional," David Hawley, an IMF spokesman, said yesterday in an e-mailed statement. "We are investigating an incident. I am not in a position to elaborate further on the extent of the cyber-security incident."

Strap those boots up tight... This is all going according to plan...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As someone who has worked as a serve administrator, enjoys reading white-hat hacker information, as well as playing around with script-kiddy tools in a sandbox environment, I can assure you that most of these break-ins in government/corporate systems are because there is a lot of fail in today's IT world. From management that has the position because they're trained managers, NOT IT STAFF, to the system administrators that passed microsoft exams and think that they have a grasp on network security, to executive staff at corporation who use their names as passwords to sensitive systems.. The world of Infosec, is really anything but secure. I rather doubt that these attacks are part of a "grander scheme" but merely the result of fundemental issue between IT departments, and the rest of a corporation.

Here's how it works. The IT staff recommend X processes/changes to implement a secure network, to the senior management. The management looks at the pricetag, and goes "No way! What's the least we can do?" then orders the bare minimum done, because they already see IT departments as being a giant money sink with little return on investment. A case in point on this is the loss of personal data from the Sony Playstation Network. Sony, a multi-million dollar corporation couldn't even pay a programmer to work an extra day to incorporate code that encrypts a user's password in their system - or - they may have determined the additional overhead on their server CPU's to constantly encrypt/decrypt their customer's passwords wasn't worth the additonal cost. Either way, they stored 70 million user's passwords unencrypted, and now all of those passwords are in the wild. Let's say that an executive manager at X company was a PSN user, and at their company demanded administrative access to a sensitive application (even though they had absolutly no reason to have that level of permissions within the application). Well Mr. Bighead has bollocks knowledge on password management and uses the same password on the PSN as his account on that application... Here come's along Mr. Hacker, who's bored and googlng the names of the PSN accounts they acquired and find Mr. BigHead's profile on the company website. They do a little testing and find the password works on said application, and now you have a huge data breach.

That's just one simple scenario that's become common over the last few months. There's also a ton of other ways that hackers can access systems. A lot of IT departments are taxed and sometimes systems go for months without being patched and having security updates fixed... A hacker scanning these systems can easily access them because of this reason alone.. Then you also have the issue that computer code is programmed by humans, and there can be 100 different ways to program the same function, some more secure than others and some that can break the other functions of a program. This application is passed to QA teams that have no clue how to program even 1/4th of the attacks hackers implement and insecure software is released into the wild.

Like i said earlier, the world of InfoSec (Information Security) is all but secure, and i think LulzSec hit the nail on the head with their name.
edit on 12-6-2011 by Evil_Santa because: blarghity in the fail-catagory.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

The article is short on details of who the attackers were, but I find it funny that the reporters didn't add in the possibility of anonymous being involved since they publicly announced their support of the people of Greece and put the bullseye on the IMF only few days ago..

International Monetary Fund Braces For Possible Hack Attack From Anonymous

According to the Wall Street Journal, an IMF spokesperson confirms that it is taking measures to safeguard against a possible hack attack from cybervigilante group Anonymous.

"We are aware of the threat, and have taken appropriate action," an IMF spokesman told the WSJ.

WIth all the high profile cyberattacks recently, one has to wonder if this isn't all part of a grand plan?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

yeah, like trying to take the internet away because they think that we are too irresponsible to have internet...as if it's their choice.They might even just attack again and then just tell us China did it thus increasing the reason to tae the net. Dont fall for it people, its just to keep us from discussing the NWO's evil plans for us.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

...The infiltration follows reported hacks at Google Inc., Sony Corp., Lockheed Martin Corp. and Citigroup Inc. in the past three months. The FBI has said it would increase efforts to combat cyber-attacks by criminal gangs, industrial spies and foreign governments. On June 10, Spanish police arrested three suspected members of the online hacking group Anonymous, which has said it carried out attacks on governments and websites belonging to Sony and MasterCard Inc.

"The Fund is fully functional," David Hawley, an IMF spokesman, said yesterday in an e-mailed statement. "We are investigating an incident. I am not in a position to elaborate further on the extent of the cyber-security incident."

How did they get anyone from Anonymous. Is there an application or something proving you are a member?

edit on 12-6-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Because people make mistakes. Anonymous has a public access IRC channel, and has no issues advertising it everywhere. A federal agent just has to keep a "bot" in there, that's logging everyone's IP address that joins. It just takes one time for a member to forget to turn-up their TOR network, connect via a proxy, or saying something that personally identifies them.. and they're toast.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Well this is definitely a frame up, since Anon did not do Sony and IMF already said they don't believe Anon to be involved.

It's the same thing that happened with Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda and Terrorist are now synonyms, so now Anonymous and Hacker are the same thing, nvm LulzSec, 4chan, or China it's all Anon now, ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

The article is short on details of who the attackers were, but I find it funny that the reporters didn't add in the possibility of anonymous being involved since they publicly announced their support of the people of Greece and put the bullseye on the IMF only few days ago..

MSM won't talk about anonymous, it's a net thing. When Sony was hacked recently, it was reported, but there never was a word spoken about anonymous.

People who don't go on the net will think it is bad bad people doing bad bad things just for the sake of it. THEY will wish for the net to be more controlled.

Like when someone who doesn't know what you're doing will give you advice about HOW to do what you're doing...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join