It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomnia, and NOTHING works to fix it. I am looking for those who might be able to offer their exp

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
OP: I had similar problems like you. Like you I am into all kinds of extreme sports, a typical "sensation seeker".
I am diagnosed with ADDH (Attention deficit disorder and hyperactivity symptom). The interesting thing, about this is: many people with ADD react very different to substances. For me coffee calms me down, makes me focus, and many sleeping pills be it herbal or chemical have a tendency to push me up.
As well many ADD-people are treated with Methylphenidat (Ritalin and the like), which is more or less the same substance known as "Speed" on the streets. Also a substance that pushes "normal" people and calms ADD affected ones.

Long speech in short you might also be one of the guys who react different to sleeping pills (ADD or not) and maybe should try not to use them.

Many good other tips have been given already in this thread, which work with me as well: regular exercices (try non-adrenalin inducing ones like jogging, swimming, gym instead of extreme sports), meditation, cold showers.

I think not yet mentionend yet: a glass of hot milk - works like a charm with me.
And major one: Masturbation or Sex. Nothing more relaxing than that.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I haven't read every reply herein, but I've read a couple of dozen, and many say stop the pharmaceuticals.

I agree wholeheartedly. The drugs are designed for low tolerance. If you take a lot over time, you build up resistance, you need more and ultimately, they just don't work.

Natural herbs do not function in this way at all. As someone who has taken them for years, I would just like to point out that herbs have a way of training your body to overcome certain shortcomings. If you have a tendency to lack of sleep, and you take chamomile or valerian to sleep, and do this over a long period of time, you will find that the herbs actually train your body to sleep with greater ease. This has been my experience and I have witnessed the same result in others.

So please, get off the sleeping pills, stop listening to your Doctor (who is listening to Big Pharma), and check out some remedies that are tried and true for thousands of years.

All the best!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheArchaeologist

I am not passing judgement, but I do not smoke pot. I never have, not even as a kid, and I dont believe I ever will. I wouldn't even know where to get it. It just doesn't interest me.

..But sleeping interests you. The fact that you've never tried it makes me think it'd work even more. And as far as getting it.. if you have 4 or more friends, I guarantee you at least one of them either smokes it or knows somebody who does and could be able to find out how to get it.

I really don't understand how you could be okay with taking the amount of pharmies that you have, yet say that marijuana doesn't interest you.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheArchaeologist

Those eye cover thingys ya get on long flights work wonders. i used to work alot of shift work found that if even the smallest amount of light was in my room i couldnt sleep. wear them they work no light in eyes = sleep (for me anyway)
If your eyes can adjust after awhile so u can see there is too much light for insomniac/me to sleep
give it a go

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I would try the basics. Sleep on a mattress that suits you. I can only sleep on a firm mattress.
Don't eat late night snacks and eat certain foods that can help you sleep.
Free your mind of worries and any kind of thinking.
Maybe read a book, books knock me out.
And get yourself good and tired so you can sleep.
I find that staying up late or working out help me sleep better.
Physical activities help tire the body while mental activities tire the mind, you gotta balance the two.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bacci0909

I stopped smoking green 8 weeks ago
sleep better now than i ever did on that. different strokes for different folks.
Plus, i now dream again

DREAMS ROCK!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I feel your pain man. Insomnia sucks ass big time!

There are many things that can effect your sleep pattern and many methods that can help you sleep (of which people here have listed).

I'm no doctor, but having read that your insomnia is caused by anxiety, I suggest the following, which hepled me immensely:

1. You've got to switch off before bed. You need to come to terms with whatever happened before you can truely be cured. But try this in the meantime: think about what happened awhile before you go to bed. It may hurt, but you and I know that when you go to bed, and it's just you and the dark, no matter how much you've pushed those thoughts to the back of your mind during the day when there are distractions, they start coming back at night. Take half hour out, awhile before bed, to think about what happened. Hopefully you find some peace.

2. For a while, until you find a pattern again, do nothing 2 hours before you go to bed. No xbox, no tv, no food, no drinks. Maybe try mixing this with number 1, sips of water/camamile tea and some low, relaxing instrumental music will be fine. The key is to relax. You need to prepare your body and brain for sleep. Tranquilty.

3. Exercise, exercise, exercise. You sound pretty active anyway, so guessing this won't be a problem.

4. Diet is also important. like people have pointed out, caffiene and other stimulating chemicals must be reduced in your diet. Try eating healthy foods, cutting out large ammounts of red meats and junk food, and dairy products like cheese. Lots of fruit is good, however try not to eat too much before bed as fructose is a energy boosting stimulant.

I wish you luck, if none of this works, you need to see someone who can help you with post traumatic stress. It's not a weakness to be so affected by something, but a testiment to your personality, htat you have the heart and intelligence to be so effected by something. Get help man, you're not weak, but you need help.

All the best.

Don't listen to those advocating smoking the herb, it's a proven medical fact that it can induce further anxiety in people who are already effected by anxiety and can enhance it.
edit on 12-6-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Thank you all. Especially for this "Valerian" tip. My father use to have something like panic atacks at the evening too. I've bought him some Melatonin, but nothing. I've made him now some good high CBD landrace sativa cannabis tincture so we'll see. I wanna say beware of common street pot. These western strains are breeded to have maximum THC and no CBD - cannabidiol. It could cause more harm than good. Look what I'm talking about:

And for you insomniac, here is a session of neuroprogrammer which should work:
www.uloz.to...
My father has no patience and discipline to listen to this one hour track but you could try. Please give us some feedback after some time in this thread what worked for you.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Ok, i havent read all the posts, so maybe someone has mentioned the chemicals added to food.
Appologies if this has been mentioned.

Over the last few years my sleep patterns have been all over the place, untill I noticed certain foods seemed to make a difference.
Preservatives cause me to have a real bad night.
If I have a hotdog at lunchtime, no problem. If I have it after 5PM, no sleep that night!

Sulphites seem to be my problem. They are everywhere!

I avoid them when possible, but I still get caught occasionally

Hope this helps

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

I would like to point out that although benzos can be addictive, .5mg, once a day is not an addictive dose. I was doing .5 twice a day and stopped cold turkey with no withdrawal whatsoever. People LIVE on Oxy pain killers, day in and day out and that is far more dangerous than Xanax. Furthermore, for many people, including myself, maryjane just makes the anxiety worse, far worse. When your nervous system is already on high-alert, the paranoia that can result from weed will send you over the top. At least that has been my experience.

And in response to all the the so-called, "natural" remedies, they are a joke...with the exception of Melatonin. It actually does chill me out and make me tired. I could drink all that herbal crap tea all night long and it would just make me piss more.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Have you been diagnosed with Fatal Insomnia? Do you suffer from nightmares and vivid dreams that you REMEMBER and that is keeping you from going back to sleep? The only thing I can think of in terms of your situation is a lack of melatonin which is naturally produced. Have you trred taking melatonin supplements? Please answer me because I have more to say, but can't without you answering.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Insomnia, and NOTHING works to fix it. I am looking for those who might be able to offer their exp

30 Valium and a bottle of Vodka...........straight!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

I have only in the last few years became an insomniac and i feel your pain, it makes me miserable stressed and angry most days, i vowed to myself to do what ever it takes to solve it, here are some things that helped me

Dont Eat for 3 hours before bedtime

Avoid caffeine and sugar

Drink Green tea and chamomile tea

Only use you bed to sleep, don't read or watch tv in it

Keep warm in your bed, wear socks, this can stop you from waking through the night

Get sun light through the day this can help greatly

Buy a SAD lite this can help you sleep it can also improve your mood ,read more about it here www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307865439&sr=8-1

Buy a nightwave sleep assistant , read more about it here nightwave.co.uk...

Ive also tried Melatonin but that can be a hit or a miss with me, it seems to work better with a glass of red wine

Sometimes i have a bailys irish whisky about an hour before bed, this can also help

Make sure the room you are sleeping in is completely dark, buy balck out curtains

Make sure there is compete silence

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Perhaps try looking into binaural beats and brainwave manipulation.
You can listen to audio through stereo headphones that will cause your brain to enter into a sleep-like state... Basically you just listen to it and fall asleep.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'm in a similar boat with the anxiety issues, seems like I sleep one night and then skip the next. The only thing that helps me is taking 2-4 Melatonin pills with a beer. They kick in pretty quick and help with the anxiety, you'll also have some pretty wild and lucid dreams.

Definitely look into the Melatonin!

- ellis

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Sorry just had to mention. I didn't hear any stories of it being debunked yet, so enjoy

I'm sorry if you already posted this, but what is your sleep ritual?
What things do you do, what thoughts do you have?
If you have thoughts (especially circular ones) that make you active (like imagining a situation in which you were active or panicking maybe) you will stay active.
When I want to sleep I try to think of things that make me feel at easy, like playing a game or doing something I like.
If you have PTSS then NLP may be something for you.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Read an Indian Income Tax Law college text book. If that doesn't put you to sleep nothing will.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I am not passing judgement, but I do not smoke pot. I never have, not even as a kid, and I dont believe I ever will. I wouldn't even know where to get it. It just doesn't interest me.

Well, for your own good and health maybe it's time.

And one thing I would like to advise you on with sleeping pills; if they put you to sleep you won't necessarily feel rested the next day because they inhibit your dreaming. And dreaming is needed to feel rested.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I forgot to add, take a magnesium supplement this can aid sleep

Someone else mentioned this but getting a good mattress can make a huge difference, you may have to pay extra for a good quality one but it is worth it

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Meditation....seek a quiet place....make yourself comfortable....close your eyes.....concentrate on hearing all the little sounds you can still hear....try to make them out.......forget those sounds.....concentrate on your breathing........concentrate on relaxing the muscles in your face...the muscles of your arms, legs......find your inner peace, quiet........and relax some more....fall asleep....

And if that doesn't work try to smoke a big fat joint and try again.

I really hope that you find your sleep because it essential for finding happiness and being able to function with whatever you do.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join