It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomnia, and NOTHING works to fix it. I am looking for those who might be able to offer their exp

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Something not too many people realize is that stress causes the body to become acidic. So do many of the things people have suggested you avoid....coffee, soda, sugar, etc. Acidic states also cause many of the additional symptoms mentioned in this thread such as restless leg syndrome, etc. So often when people have a problem sleeping it's because their body is too acidic. And if your body is too acidic prescription medications actually add to the problem. They chemically "knock you out" but being acidic your body is not able to do the resting and healing that usually happen when you're asleep. If the minerals required for those things to happen are not there then they just cannot occur.

After an "upsetting incident" (stress) sleep deprevation causes your body to become acidic. Then the increased levels of acidity cause you to not be able to sleep which in turn causes you to become more stressed and it's a ficious downward cycle. That is why alot of people find relaxing, watching movies, reading, etc. helps. It reduces your stress level which, over a few nights, will help reduce the acidity in your system. That is IF your system is not too far gone but once you're past a certain point no amount of relaxing will help. The minerals need to be replenished before things can start getting better.

One of the quickest ways to break the cycle is by increasing the alkalizing minerals in your diet....magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron and manganese. To do so through your diet would take too long before you notice any difference and it's extremely hard to get the right minerals in the right balance when you're too out of whack . Go to your local health food store and buy some Alcabase by TraceLabs and take a teaspoon in water twice a day with one of those times being about an hour before you go to bed.

If you find you're still not able to fall asleep or can't stop "thinking" (repetitive, uncontrollable thoughts are also an acidic symptom) after 15 minutes of trying then take another 1/2 tsp. in water. Continue this every 15 minutes until you fall asleep. (Do NOT take additional amounts of calcium as a supplement as it will further deplete your magnesium levels. Getting these minerals in the correct ratios is key until you get back into balance.)

A quick google search brought up this site that explains much of this fairly well.
Acid/Alkaline Health Issues

hth,
TFN

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I completely understand. I've struggled with insomnia since I was a teen. I've tried benadryl, halcion, etc until I finally discovered melatonin about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, melatonin doesn't work for everyone. Its basically the hormone the brain releases when it gets dark to tell your brain to go to sleep. If you're already producing that, it won't work well for you.
Even with the melatonin, I occasionally still have restless nights.
I've found that if I have things on my mind, I get up and write them down then get a book and read awhile. Do not watch TV. Then go back to bed after a while, like an hour or so.
If I'm still unable to sleep due to racing thoughts, meditation works very well. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, a simple awareness of your body works. Focus on your toes, and release the stress in the muscles, then the foot, then calves, and on up the body to relax the muscles. If you don't fall asleep before you're done, focus on your breath, in, out. In out. In out. Thoughts wander in, let them go, back to the breath.
These steps always help me. I hope this might help you. Keep us informed. I can keep looking for other possible solutions.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Does anyone on this site actually ever have sex ? That is what works for me every time. In a hundred odd posts noone has mentioned it. Are you all too busy doing bong hits or what?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Sure dreamer.
In your SLEEP.
Hey, you asked for it. Thanks for contributing.....
Not.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Apologies if already posted, but I use melatonin. After years of ambien, this works great for me.
Good luck!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I started growing & taking wheatgrass shots about 3 months ago & have never slept better. Previously my sleep was light & unsatisfying, now I have deep resting sleep. I had read this was a positive benefit of the wheatgrass before I started & was pleasantly surprised to find it so. Grown correctly with mineralising seaweed emulsion, it stands to reason that providing our bodies with the raw materials they need & are so lacking in will have tangible positive benefits.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Yeah, Valerian. oh my gosh, so strong! Like a vicodin. There is a sweet tea on the market, Bob Marley tea...honestly...no marijuana in it...just valerian, hops and passionflower. It makes me so tired I cannot hold my eyelids open or lift my arms. Try it! Also, the extreme exercise may be raising your cortisol levels to the point where they are making anxiety. Try to rest your body for one to two weeks with no physical activity. Read books, daydream, etc...and see if that helps (:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheArchaeologist

Hi... I've suffered from insomnia in the past so i feel your pain. For me,it was the inability to stop thinking about things, good or bad. I learned a technique called Releasing and it has been awesome! It's not hard but it takes some practice to get right.

I use it only to get things off my mind... let things go and I've slept well for the past 5 years now. They market it to become rich and other bull# but the part I'm sharing with you, worked. It worked very well. I've had difficult things on my mind at times and after releasing, I would have trouble keeping my mind on the subject even while trying!

I've shared this with many other people I know personally... most have had success using it the way I do... to let things go. I don't know of anyone who has made millions on it though!...LOL

edit on 11-6-2011 by zacdam because: my typing skills stink...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by ADUB77
You are not releasing energy

Pent up energy will lead to anxiety.

If you want to sleep you must release this energy with exercise

You say you have a 4 year old, you also haven't been able to sleep in almost 4 years

You need to exercise to the point of exhaustion

It will then not be your decision to make whether you sleep or not

It will ultimately be a battle of whether your willing to put your body through the strenuous activity in order to "max" it out and force a shutdown

I get your point, but unless you are someone who has dealt with extreme anxiety, I have to say, you really dont get it. Exercise helps. A lot. But often anxiety is mental energy, not physical. And while working out can be a mental outlet, it can also serve as a distraction FROM the mental side of things.

Getting exercise is never a bad thing, but it is not always the cure all for anxiety.

This is the problem that most people suffering anxiety face

They don't realize that they are actually mentally stressed but not physiologically stressed

By not getting proper physical stimulation, they have stopped releasing natural endorphines along with a variety of other natural stimulants and depressants.

They are stress, insert tramautic event, and believe they need sleep to get there energy back

But the trick is it's like a snowball effect, but you need to push the snowball to get it going

By physically stressing the body, the body will take care of the mind

Not vice versa

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

like others mentioned here, no solution presented here works 100% for everyone.

if sex works for you, great.

you told us more about your gender and age group than a solution for insomnia.

plus sex is trivial, its one of those things one should do, not speak about it.

but if you really want to know..
after sex, more sex.

think about that next time you get inquisitive about how much the rest of us been gettin laid.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have noticed only a few votes for melatonin. For me it works great and I've used both Ambein and Lunesta. Take it about 30 minutes before you go to bed. This gives it a chance to get into your system. It may not work the first night or two, but don't give up on it. The same happened to me and I was ready to chuck it, but my wife convinced me to keep it up for two more. Glad I listened. I haven't used anything else since.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

First try Chamomile tea and a melatonin pill (3 mg).

If that doesn't work, a eight ounce glass of Merlot wine and a 5 mg of Valium will give you a good night sleep. Make sure to clear this with your physician first. The Valium will also stop nightmares for people that have them.

Before hand though, you should talk to your doctor and get a sleep study done.

Now, I'm reading that because our Planet is going through changes and many people that use to require eight hours of sleep now require only four.

As a side note: If you are getting older............welcome to old age, as you age you sleep less and wake up more often.

If you are lucky enough to be retired, you can sleep a few hours at night and than take a nap in the afternoon.

I personally find waking up at 3:30 AM wonderful because everyone else all over is asleep, the internet runs faster and I get up, go into my little office and either surf the net or read a good book and enjoy the quietness.

Also, if it's warm you can go outside on your back deck or patio and star gaze.

The earth is so peaceful late at night and early morning.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yep your right on half of a 3 mg pill will knock me out in about 15 minutes.

Good post!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Star for your post.

Yes what you suggested works like a charm.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There is a very good chance that you are not actually having insomnia, though it may feel to you as though you are. This is somewhat difficult for people to understand unless they have witnessed it firsthand, but other sleep disturbances can cause a person to repeatedly have sudden arousals. As the person is not aware that they are drifting off to sleep between arousals, to them it feels as though they have been awake for extended periods of time. There is a good possibility that you have something along the lines of sleep apnea, which would also explain your sudden bouts of otherwise inexplicable anxiety (anxiety, depression, claustrophobia, and panic attacks are some other possible symptoms associated with sleep apnea). Taking of sleep meds to force yourself to sleep when having apnea is dangerous, and whoever is giving them to you should know better then doing so without sending you to a sleep lab for a polysomnography first. Most of your sleep meds now are even labeled as such:

Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

kidney disease;
liver disease;
lung disease such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD);
sleep apnea (breathing stops during sleep);
myasthenia gravis;
a history of depression, mental illness, or suicidal thoughts; or
a history of drug or alcohol addiction.

What you are in effect doing is forcing your brain to stay asleep even though you are choking. Normally you will wake up after your O2 reaches a certain level of drop, and your body does this to protect you. Using meds to force your brain to stay asleep when your O2 is falling, can cause it to drop to much lower and potentially dangerous levels.

Also please don't fall prey to the incorrect belief that sleep apnea is either an old or fat person problem; It's not, and I have seen many young, healthy, thin, patients who have sleep apnea. It can be caused by issues other then age and weight, for example: narrow airway (hereditary), deviated septum, enlarged tonsils, etc...

I suggest you find a board certified sleep physician, and get a referral to them to discuss what is happening.
www.sleepcenters.org...
edit on 6/11/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by ofhumandescent

that bit about the earth changes and people requiring less sleep is interesting. care to elaborate more? or point to somewhere i can read into that.

i havent come across that idea, but i have to say it would explain alot of things..

if i dare put my tinfoil hat on...

i had discussed with a friend back in the day, that we needed to sleep less to get used to when we have two suns, as our whole lifestyle would change.

tinfoil hat off, now breathe.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I understand your pain.

Insomnia is very serious nd certain forms of the ailment can lead directly to death, even with treatment. Check your family tree for anyone else who may have suffered ectreme sleep disorders.

I also duffered from insomnia when I was in my early 20's. I can now fall asleep, almost at will. I have been able to do this through the practive of OBE and astral traveling. While I am not always successful at achieving OBE or the Astral state, I am ALWAYS able to fall asleep and sleep for a full night when using these techniques.

I am glad you are reaching out in different areas, other than the medical field and I hope you find an answer to suit you.

I do warn about all the different remedies out there, even the ones I have suggested. Mixing different therapies and practices can have unknown and unforseen outcomes.

I do know that medicines present in long term use can change the 'born chemitry' of your body and change the natural process of daily life.

If you were taking any such medication at the time of the traumatic event, you might consider consulting your DR about not taking it any longer. If you ever take any medications for recreational use, I would reccomend stopping the habit and giving your body and mind a chance to re-program itself to a natural state, then move forward from there.

I am not suggesting you do this, but a clean slate may be in order to get to the bottom of your problem and get you back to sleep.

Good Luck Friend

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For me it was a C-pap machine. They work wonders!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Sure dreamer.
In your SLEEP.
Hey, you asked for it. Thanks for contributing.....
Not.

I don't really understand what you are questioning here. Sex is a very normal part of life for many people. If having sex is so unbelieveable than that could be the root issue here.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheArchaeologist
Hello, I am in my mid/late 30's.

4 years ago I had a traumatic even happen to me, and since that time I have had issues with anxiety. I am not a wallflower, I THRIVE on extreme sports, racing, snowboarding climbing, you name it. However this issue involved a child, and affected me in ways I cannot explain.

I'll skip over therapy etc. Yes, I have been.

Here's where I am. I can take 5 lunesta, and literally 10 klonopin, and it does ABSOLUTELY nothing to help me sleep. Please don't explain how dangerous this could/can be. I am well aware. However after living for years not being able to sleep, you become less worried about such things.

I am not ignorant, I am not a drug addict, I am not a drinker, I have a high level job, but lack of sleep or poor sleep for about four years is just too much.

The pharmacist says ambien and lunesta ARE the two most potent out there.....I am half afraid to ask the doctor again because he really is trying.

Anyone else had this problem? Did you find a drug that worked?

Thank you in advance!

Please no PROPOFOL JOKES. This is quite serious. And I would prefer no herbal remedies etc, not that I dont believe in them, but I am well past the strongest stuff out there.

When you have time off, stay up 24 hrs, then be sure to go to sleep around what time you would like to go to sleep from now on. Also be sure that your eating enough veggies; and if need be cut out caffeine, excess sugars and soda from your diet then do so.

Also try and increase your dietary fiber. Granted I am no doc, but problems of the mind can have origins in the body and problems of the body can have problems that originate in the mind. So to that end try to balance out your diet and go for a 1 mile or so walk. Choice a route that is safe so you can kind of just get lost in your thoughts as you walk.

I repeat again I am no doctor and nothing may help you, but you should see a counselor or priest/minister/spiritual adviser if need be. As well as a nutritionist and doctor. Better yet try and seek out a new doctor for a second opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join