It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It may be time to start watching Hekla.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I usually relate the word "inflation" with our Financial World in general. So I was thinking Hekla must be a State of sorts somewhere??

A volcano you say! Iceland? Yes, I agree..."Big Bada Boom", now, sometime, and once again!

I would move and send a post-card home!

Please be safe if you are there!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

And what exactly is your point. I didn't know this area was aseismic but the earth will definetly be showing signs before an eruption which is why your having uplifting occuring now. Volcanoes do not just suddenly blow with no warning. Ever.

And that poor geologist who only had what did you say, 30 minute warning? Well glad he got out but he is an idiot. I wasn't there but i'm sure the geologists had an estimated window based on the activity of when it was going, probably within a 48 hour range so he should never have been testing fate that close to a possible eruption.

Aseismic does not mean there will not be earthquakes preceding a volcanic eruption but it's nice to see you use fancy words

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
we can now add

Island Park Caldera supervolc today

Added on eddis today (12th)

hisz.rsoe.hu...

That makes 3 supervolc reports in 24hrs.
Just saying

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

And that poor geologist who only had what did you say, 30 minute warning? Well glad he got out but he is an idiot. I wasn't there but i'm sure the geologists had an estimated window based on the activity of when it was going, probably within a 48 hour range so he should never have been testing fate that close to a possible eruption.

I suggest that before you continue to stick your feet further into the mire you actually do some reading.

Aseismic does not mean there will not be earthquakes preceding a volcanic eruption but it's nice to see you use fancy words

Rather than attempting to make supercilious comments to cover your own failings why don't you look up the definition of the word aseismic?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by PuterMan

And what exactly is your point. I didn't know this area was aseismic but the earth will definetly be showing signs before an eruption which is why your having uplifting occuring now. Volcanoes do not just suddenly blow with no warning. Ever.

to prove a point id like to refer you to this volcano in mexico the age of the volcano is 69 years old and it grow in the middle of some farmers field in 1941 and is one of the seven wonders of the world ...

en.wikipedia.org...

Parícutin (or Volcán de Parícutin, also accented Paricutín) is a cinder cone volcano in the Mexican state of Michoacán, close to a lava-covered village of the same name. It appears on many versions of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Paricutín is part of the Michoacán-Guanajuato Volcanic Field, which covers much of west central Mexico.

i have always found this volcano interesting above the rest since there was NO warning at all at the time .

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Volcanoes do not just suddenly blow with no warning. Ever.

The key here is knowing what signs to look for, wouldn't we all agree? I think it a bit presumptuous to state that there is always going to be plenty of warning. I could give you a list of examples based on our very limited history and experience but I think for me personally, Mt. Saint Helens is a good example. Many people died that day....and yes, while there were some 'signs' previous to its eruption, the actual eruptive phase started very abruptly following a moderate sized quake that literally 'popped the cork'. It was a very educational eruption, for it has helped geologists around the world increase our their monitoring abilities.

However, EVERY volcano is unique. We are very young in our science of volcanology and I do not think it is the place for such bold statements. That's what gets people killed. Especially when we are talking here about a volcano that has proven in the past to be aseismic and sudden.

Yes, I am sure there will be some signs....we know, based on this limited experience, that uplift may be one of them, hence this thread.
Unfortunately, it could very well be the ONLY sign until immediately preceding a 'main event'.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
we can now add

Island Park Caldera supervolc today

Added on eddis today (12th)

hisz.rsoe.hu...

That makes 3 supervolc reports in 24hrs.
Just saying

Rainbows
Jane

This is nothing to worry about, if we had a swarm with other activity/signs then we should worry!
One quake every so often isn't anything to be concerned about in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Lake Taupo SuperVolc NZ

Another one today

hisz.rsoe.hu...

This brings the count to 4 Super's reported this week end and the total to 8 since March

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
wtf when did this thread go from watching hekla to talking about super volcanos in NEW ZELAND?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

This is a very interesting example however you should know that this farmer had been noticing goings on in his field for years. Weeks prior to the event he had been seeing signs that if geologists were there would have been proof that a volcano was in the works.

The quickness and the size at which grew nobody could have ever expected though.

Even Mt. St. Helens was not a suprise. Of course nobody knows the exact moment a volcano is going to go but they knew it was going to happen soon which is why they issued evacuation notices. Your never going to be walking along the road somewhere and have a volcano just go from silence to POP a massive eruption.

Whether somebody is there who knows what's going on is a different story.

Aseismic by the way means an area not prone to earthquakes. "Not Prone" does not mean they won't occur.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

That's so funny....that is EXACTLY how the actress (can't remember her name) who plays the geologist, describes the event to Tommy Lee Jones in the movie 'Volcano'! One of my favorite movies, though, not very realistic! I am not saying that it didn't happen, it's just funny that your description sounds exactly like her scripted lines from the movie is all....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join