It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Existentialism is a Humanism. (And Atheism Is NOT Nihilism)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

""Once freedom has exploded in the soul of man, the gods no longer have any power over him" (from 'The Flies')"

Existentialism is being identified with ugliness; criticised by Christians for being despairing and non-serious, by Communists for being too subjective and by both for lack of hope. They think that man needs firm rules.

What is Existentialism?

What, then, is "existentialism"? Existentialists, be they Christians or atheists (like myself) believe that existence comes before essence- that we must begin with the subjective. A manufactured object, say a paper knife, is made to serve a purpose. For us, our existence comes first, we have each our own Project; to choose our own purpose, and in doing so to choose an image for all to follow.

Existentialists state frankly that man is in anguish unable but to choose. Like Abraham, who obeyed the angel, but had to first choose if it was really an angel, and if he was really Abraham. We are abandoned by God, left alone without excuse, to interpret alone such signs as there are. Even when we seek advice, it is we who choose who to ask. We must despair of help from outside our will, or beyond the possibilities of action. Descartes said "Conquer yourself" and meant the same- that we should act without hope.
To the Communists who look to help from comrades and those 'quietists' who let others do the things they can't, I say that reality is action. We must judge the artist by his works, the man by his actions; not by mere hopes, dreams and unfulfilled expectations. We are not pessimists, but sturdy optimists.

We begin with Descartes I think, therefore I am- the basic truth for everyone. But we discover in it all others as well as ourselves.

We are not anarchists, nor are we immoral. We judge a man by his commitments and accuse those who deny their freedom of bad faith. We cannot have liberty unless there is liberty for all. We have to take things as they are.
THE VERY SQUASHED VERSION OF "Existentialism is a Humanism"
Note the last paragraph; existentialism does not equal anarchy, and atheism certainly does not equal nihilism.

Atheism also does not (ALWAYS) equal Existentialism; Atheists only have one thing in common;

LACK OF BELIEF IN A DEITY.
edit on 11/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

edit on 11-6-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The Condensed Edition of Jean-Paul Sartre Existentialism is a Humanism...in just 2300 words

www.btinternet.com...

Apologies, i should have included the source in the OP.

By no means is the writing (or the philosophy) infallible; I just felt some philosophical positions, beliefs or lack of beliefs should be highlighted, and contrasted (Nihilism, Relativism, Humanisim, Existentialism etc.)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sorry, very, very timid here.

Trying to let you know I agree with your OP and that I gave you a star and flag for your OP but I don't know how to do it without being "Off-Topic".

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
double.
edit on 12/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You know how i feel about your dishonesty. Unless of course; i'm mistaken, Can explain why you think that way about the OP?

Seems people don't want to discuss existentialism, they'd sooner enjoy discussing a conspiracy theory about something supernatural or unbelievable rather than face up to reality.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

One thing about Hegel... Reality is wholly subjective from the perspective of consciousness

new topics

top topics

join