It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subatomic mystery leads to standoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Subatomic mystery leads to standoff

Two months ago, physicists on the CDF detector team at Fermilab's Tevatron collider, just outside Chicago, reported a mysterious "bump" in the distribution of data from their proton-antiproton collisions, hinting at a non-standard twist in the Standard Model that has governed particle physics for decades.

Since then, additional data from the CDF detector added to the team's confidence. They thought it was increasingly likely that something strange was really happening. But the CDF isn't the only detector at the Tevatron. There's a second detector, known as DZero, which should have seen the bump as well. In fact, the main reason why there are two detectors is so that one detector's data can be confirmed by the other. So researchers around the world anxiously awaited word from the DZero team.

Now the DZero tribe has spoken: They don't see the bump. "Nope, nothing here — sorry," New Scientist quoted DZero co-spokesperson Dmitri Denisov as saying.

So two, separate multimillion dollar detectors see different things. Either the data that each received was different, or, just maybe, they both detected something outside of the "standard model" of what was expected and they don't want to publish that data yet. I'll be watching this one. Something doesn't smell right.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed! I'm really into particle colliders, such awe inspiring size and the immense of power available at the press of a button.

However the sheer size and power they DO have makes me think its extremly possible it might have just been an error either in the machines or scientists? I mean take the LHC for example, I REALLY don't want to have to do a diagnostic test on that beast...would a tiny fault even go noticed other than "odd" test results? When it comes to colliding 2 particles at such high speeds the slightest mistake, imperfection or damage would results in dodgy results no?

Like Erich von Daeniken says, Hey, I'm just asking questions

You never know this might end up being some new epic discovery though !

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Or they both record false data and are worth for nothing.

But seriously at least one of them has a glitch or they are hiding something.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
So two, separate multimillion dollar detectors see different things. Either the data that each received was different, or, just maybe, they both detected something outside of the "standard model" of what was expected and they don't want to publish that data yet. I'll be watching this one. Something doesn't smell right.
/TOA

Or what is most probably they have just some error in data of the first detector.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by odyseusz

/TOA

Or what is most probably they have just some error in data of the first detector.

Whoa there, buddy! This is a conspiracy site! Don't go interjecting crazy talk here.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by odyseusz

/TOA

Why couldn't the error be in the second detector?

top topics

join