It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Atheism is Demonised.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Carl Sagan has often used the phrase "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"......

Should this mean we make conclusions without any evidence?

Will the argumentum ad ignorantiam suffice for an argument for God? Should Atheists be criticised for their skeptical enquiry?

Please consider Russell's Teapot:-

Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

edit on 11/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

You're right, Sagan was a idyit.

Absence of evidence IS evidence of absence.

What was Sabin thinking? Star for you!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You're right, Sagan was a idyit/

Never implied Sagan was an idiot - I love Sagan. I love "A Pale Blue Dot"

Absence of evidence IS evidence of absence.

Never implied that - extra-terrestrial life? Quite probable i feel.
edit on 11/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well, yeah, I meant aliens. duh

Star for you. Good job.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I can only offer this video for the reason I don't fight with my family anymore.
It is how I feel in a nutshell.
edit on 11-6-2011 by FluffChop because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by FluffChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FluffChop

I didn't realize that allegory was lost on atheists? The lady in this video really believes that theology believes the story of the garden was about a real talking snake and naked people?

This is about as absurd as a religious fanatic... and the term ThinkingAtheist?

LOL... Not if you don't get allegory your not a thinking atheist...
edit on 11-6-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

LOL... Not if you don't get allegory your not a thinking atheist.

Explain how that's funny, and explain which allegory atheists misunderstand.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

LOL... Not if you don't get allegory your not a thinking atheist.

Explain how that's funny, and explain which allegory atheists misunderstand.

Thanks.

The allegory of the Garden of Eden and the tree of knowledge of good and evil...

Could you explain the symbolism in the allegory and what it is attempting to communicate? Keep in mind this was first a Jewish text before the wholly Christian idea of Original Sin was projected upon it...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Could you provide examples of such allegories, explain the meaning behind them, and it's practical use in comparison to other proverbs, allegories and metaphors by great philosophers (or writers) throughout History.

Peace, and civillity.
edit on 18/6/11 by AtheistAnonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just a reminder - Civility and decorum are required.

Play nice people.
edit on 18/6/11 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Atheism is demonised because it makes no since to say something that could be a lie. Humans do not liked to be lied to and this would be the same reason why religion is demonised because they say things that could be lies.

It does not matter what proof you can make up for or aginst gods the fact that niether side can prove the exsitence of gods either way makes both side demonised against each other, while the other groups look with wonder.

Why are people limited in believing what others have told them? Why can they not form their own thoughts and take what they want from both sides and come up with their own religion? What makes atheist so afraid of religion?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Excuse me? Ever read "Pale Blue Marble?" Or "The Gods of Eden?" Read those and then tell me the man is an idiot. Perhaps your mind cannot understand what he says?
Carl Sagan is one of the best writers I have ever read.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Excuse me? Ever read "Pale Blue Marble?" Or "The Gods of Eden?" Read those and then tell me the man is an idiot. Perhaps your mind cannot understand what he says?
Carl Sagan is one of the best writers I have ever read.

Google "facetious" in your free time.

I even spelled "idiot" incredibly wrong so there would be no mistake.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Atheism is demonised because it makes no since to say something that could be a lie

Atheism doesn't say anything. Atheism simply a lack of belief in a deity; No Atheist should claim a unfalsifiable claim is a lie; but then no rational person should make an extraordinary claim without even ordinary evidence. The burden of proof rests on them to prove their extraordinary claim; because to be quite frank;

it IS extraordinary; i don't say it's a lie, but i won't say i believe in it unquestionably.

Humans do not liked to be lied to and this would be the same reason why religion is demonised because they say things that could be lies.

Well is the bible true? Is it the word of God?

Is Homosexuality an "abomination"?

It does not matter what proof you can make up for or aginst gods the fact that niether side can prove the exsitence of gods either way makes both side demonised against each other, while the other groups look with wonder.

Again, the atheist never made the extraordinary claim. THe burden of proof rests on the Preists and the bibles metaphysical claims.

Why are people limited in believing what others have told them?

They shouldn't be, they should think for themselves; only sheep need shepherds.

Why can they not form their own thoughts and take what they want from both sides and come up with their own religion?

People have, it's called reformation, people love to edit, amend the "word of God" - People love to cherry pick scripture to suite the social norm. King Henry VIII formed the Church of England in opposition with the Roman Catholic doctrine; everyone's got their own ideas, but unfortunately they make unfalsifiable metaphysical claims (God, heaven, hell, reincarnation, space gods, sea gods, earthqake gods)

What makes atheist so afraid of religion?

Who said we were afraid of it? I'm not afraid of Mormons, they're doctrine explicitly condemsn acts of violence; there arn't any Evangelical Mormons, or Mormon Suicide Bombers.

I do still think religion; and supernatural metaphysical claims are unprovable, faulty and wicked.
edit on 20-6-2011 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

top topics

join