It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Might Be Christian If.....

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Wow, a book that's several hundred pages long has a few good things in it...I'm so surprised! You do realize that there is as much (if not more) horrible stuff in the Bible, right? I mean, you can go ahead and just pick out what your pastor/priest/preacher/minister/reverend/etc reads out on Sunday or you can just go ahead and bother reading the thing.

Like the bit where the joys of dashing babies against rocks is described or where people who don't give all of their money to the early church are struck down by god...which is a hell of a lot like a cult if you ask me.

You might be a Christian if you read:

Luke 12:33

Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

And don't see how it contradicts Proverbs 22:9.

You might be a Christian if you're told to love your neighbor and act smug and condescending to him on the internet in the name of Christianity.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I've read it cover to cover. I know what's in it, contradictions and all. I accept it's not a perfect book, and that some things just don't make sense. But people on the other side like to pick and choose the bad parts, point at them and say "see this is horrible this can't be a loving God and you're an idiot for believing any of it", without any context or thought. Let's see, which is worse: picking out the good parts and trying to live by them, or picking out the bad parts and trying to tear down someone's faith?

As far as that goes, if some unthinking drone wants to be one and only live by what the Book says instead of what it means, who are you to tell them they're wrong? Because you obviously haven't taken the time to glean meaning. Only what it says on the surface.

You might be an atheist if all you can do is be snarky and condescending.

/TOA
edit on 18-6-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

reply to post by madnessinmysoul
give all of their money to the early church are struck down by god

it was for knowingly lying in a particular situation, not the money

Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, And laid them down at the Apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need -Acts4

With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet. Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.” -Acts5

edit on 18-6-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join